costantino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
stg991

costantino

Postby stg991 » 19 Jul 2015, 18:51

I am looking for information on the family of Theresa Costantino. She was born about 1885 in Palermo. On her death certificate is lists her father as Emanuel Costantino and her mother as Maria Gordona.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: costantino

Postby adelfio » 21 Jul 2015, 16:40

Welcome to IG website

On the death record it says Theresa Costantino born possible in Sclafani Bagni province of Palermo
PG LINK TO DEATH RECORD
http://interactive.ancestry.com/9278/43 ... turnRecord

Looked through online birth records of Sclafani Bagni for her birth record only came up with this Teresa Costantino with different parents and I checked 1884-1893 birth indexes no Teresa Costantino birth record in those years

Index#8
1883 Feb 12th in the town of Sclafani Bagni birth of Teresa Costantino daughter of Giuseppe Costantino age 36 farmer and Antonia Battaglia

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,246138701

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 21 Jul 2015, 20:20

Hi Marty :-)

This family tree on Ancestry, AND the death certificate have her birth year as 1890.
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/30553048 ... 2288275976

T.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 22 Jul 2015, 04:12

1920 census says Theresa birthdate is 1885 also I think the death informat is wrong

PG LINK TO RECORD
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... plz0q3dpid

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

stg991

Postby stg991 » 23 Jul 2015, 00:14

Thank you for your reply. I believe that the Teresa you found may be her. We know very little about Teresa/Theresa or her husband other than both of them immigrated from Italy according to my father-in-law and his sister. My father-in-law and his siblings are now all dead, and we have nothing really to go on other than family stories, which were few and hard to come by. My husband submitted his DNA to Ancestry and the name Battaglia has shown up in several of his matches. John, Theresa's husband, went by the name of John Garden(later changed to Gardner) His draft registration card shows his place of birth as Termini Imerese as does his death certificate. His death certificate lists his date of birth as 1877 and his father as Emmanuel Gardner and his mother as Maria In Cardone? I don't think that is correct. His obituary listed a sister by the name of Mrs. Phillip Nuzzo of Chicago. I was able to find her obituary, marriage certificate, and death certificate. Her death certificate lists her father as Emmanuel Salerno, but mother is unknown. As it happens, John Gardner used the middle name Salerno as did my father-in-law, my husband, and now my son. I was told that it was a family tradition. We have been searching for information for so long and the information you have given me seems to be a starting place at least for Teresa. I truly appreciate your help.

Sarah

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Jul 2015, 01:49

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for the additional information.

Here is a POSSIBLE arrival manifest for Giovanni/John Salerno in 1901.
He is 23 and a shoemaker from Termini. :-)
Going to his brother-in-law Salvatore Carofalo(sp?) in Pittsburgh.

Interestingly enough the passenger on the line above him is Nicasio Nuzzo, also from Termini, with a destination of Chicago, IL. :-)

Name: Giovanni Salerno
Arrival Date: 7 May 1901
Birth Date: abt 1878
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Napoli
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Vincenzo Florio

LINE 13
Click once to enlarge and again to magnify

T.

stg991

Postby stg991 » 24 Jul 2015, 01:40

Thank you. It is interesting that these two were traveling together. I have not been able to find either of them outside of this reference. It has been very facinating but frustrating to try and help my children unravel their heritage. John's sister Concetta went on to marry a Filippo Nuzzo in Chicago. Her son died in 2011. We were able to contact his son, but they could not tell us anything about their mother's past before she came to the USA except that they thought she was from Palermo. In 1956 the local paper did a human interest story on John. At that time he claimed that he was from Seville Spain and that his name was Gardena. Since submitting my husband's DNA we have found no Salerno or Gardena surnames in any of his matches. I guess some mysteries are not meant to be solved easily. Thank you for your help

Return to “Italian Genealogy”