Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
searching

Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?

Postby searching » 29 Jul 2015, 22:43

I'm hitting a roadblock trying to find supporting documents for a jus sanguinis case. My tools are humble, and I'm not terribly experienced in genealogical research.

I'm attempting to track down my great great grandfather, Anthony Gallucci who immigrated to the US from Italy around 1886 (according to 1910 census) and 1888 (according to 1920 census), and (according to 1930 census). :-/

It appears he is called "Tony" in the 1910 census, "Antonio" in the 1920 census, and "Anthony" in the 1930 census.

Also in the 1920 census and the 1930 census, he is listed at living at the same address (810 S. Jefferson in New Castle, PA), and the children are 10 years older, as one would expect, which makes me think that 'Antonio' and 'Anthony' are the same person. However, he is listed at 70 years old in the 1930 census, but only 51 in the 1920 census.

He is also listed as an Alien in 1930 Census. According to his death record, he was born in Italy on 10, April 1861 and died in the USA on 30, Jan 1937. He lived his whole life as a millworker/laborer in New Castle, PA.

However, I can't find any indication of his arrival to this country in the Ellis Island passenger records, or where he was from in Italy. It appears his father, Ralph Gallucci, remained in Italy and nothing is known about his mother.

His marriages were a bit tricky to figure them out, but I think they are as follows:

Married around 1896 to Margaret (Mary, Maria) Dominica Bashett (Bascetta) who died 1 Aug, 1905. He then remarried Marie (Mary)? died 22 April, 1936

Children with Margaret:
Ralph
Catherine
Mary
James
Joseph
Anna
Lena
Charles

Children with Mary:
Margaret
Rose (Rosa)
Anthony

Am I missing something when it comes to birth, arrival, naturalization records? I really don't know where to turn at this point to get accurate info about my Great Great Grandfather.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Anthony Gallucci...no passenger list, no naturalization?

Postby adelfio » 30 Jul 2015, 23:03

Welcome to IG website
Page link to possible shipmanifest for Antonio Gallucci 1888 coming from Faeto province of Foggia

http://www.castlegarden.org/quick_searc ... id=9228457

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 30 Jul 2015, 23:09

Death record of Anthony Gallucci father was Ralph Gallucci

PG LINK
http://interactive.ancestry.com/5164/42 ... turnRecord

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

searching

Postby searching » 30 Jul 2015, 23:59

First, thank you very much for your help.

Yes, his dob is listed as April 10, 1861 on his death certificate, but the age of 36 on the manifest of 1888 would put his birth at 1852, so I'm not sure it is the same guy.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 31 Jul 2015, 01:10

POSSIBLY the family in 1900 US CENSUS? Name terribly misspelled?
First son named after Antonio's father, Ralph/Raffele...

Last four names are boarders...

Name: Geo Galutch
[Geo Galatch]
Birth Date: Apr 1860
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1900: Newcastle Ward 5, Lawrence, Pennsylvania
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1887
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Mary Galutch
Marriage Year: 1892
Years Married: 8
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Geo Galutch 40
Mary Galutch 25
Ralph Galutch 7
Kate Galutch 6
James Galutch 4
Mary Galutch 4
Cossimir Galutch 2
Frank Bleas 43
Tony Pasqualla 37
Nick Bells 30
Cassina Parotta 30

T.

searching

Postby searching » 31 Jul 2015, 03:48

THAT'S HIM! Woah...I'd seen a distant relative (still trying to contact her) on Ancestry.com who'd listed him as 'George Galutch' at one point, but I shook it off as perhaps signifying a nickname that he went by later in life. That address, 405 S Jefferson St. (and the spouse/kids names) match up with the 1910 Census, where he is called "Tony Gallucci", which is the family surname.

My guess is that because neither he nor his wife spoke English, and could not read/write, the census official just did the best he could with the spelling (perhaps it was 5pm on a Friday!) :-)

Now, if only I could find where he was born/lived in Italy...

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 31 Jul 2015, 14:44

Antonio and second wife Maria Ciampa's marriage record. No. 7183. Married 18 Dec 1904 in St. Vitus Church in New Castle. States his first wife's death was 1 Aug 1904.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2VWW-QMJ

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 31 Jul 2015, 18:44

POSSIBLE World War I Draft Registration Card for son, Ralph...
He was residing in San Francisco.
Born in New Castle, PA on 5 August 1892...

Ralph Michael Gallucci
United States World War I Draft Registration Cards
Name Ralph Michael Gallucci
Event Type Draft Registration
Event Date 1917-1918
Event Place San Francisco City no 1, California, United States
Gender Male
Nationality United States
Birth Date 05 Aug 1892
Birthplace Newcastle, Pennsylvania, United States

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1968530

POSSIBLE 1940 US Census for son, Ralph...

Ralph Gallucci
United States Census, 1940
Name Ralph Gallucci
Event Type Census
Event Date 1940
Event Place Councilmanic District 10, Los Angeles, Los Angeles Township, Los Angeles, California, United States
Gender Male
Age 47
Marital Status Single
Race (Original) White
Race White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Head
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Birthplace Pennsylvania
Birth Year (Estimated) 1893
Last Place of Residence Same Place

Line 13
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=2000219

T.

searching

Postby searching » 31 Jul 2015, 20:47

Thanks for that Biff...it definitely sounds like him...same birth year/month as on other records, and since his 2nd wife is listed as 'Marie Champ Gallucci' on Anthony's death certificate, this makes sense. However, this record puts her birth at August 1866, while her death cert puts her birth at March 25, 1871.

I'm finding that each record seems to be off in one or two places, usually spelling of name, dob, immigration year. Is this normal? Fortunately home addresses and names/ages of children remain pretty consistent, which allows me to be pretty confident that we're got the right guy.

I've tried to put together a grid for what I have so far. Still looking for his birth certificate an the marriage cert to his first wife.

http://i.imgur.com/bMCZKos.jpg?1

I don't even know where to begin finding his birth certificate. Given the current problems with dates/ages, I'm starting to warm to Marty's link here: http://www.castlegarden.org/quick_searc ... id=9228457 for an Antonio Gallucci in 1888, which seems pretty consistent with census records +/- a few years. The problem with the manifest is that it lists him as 36, rather than 26...I wonder if it is just another typo.

Does one simply try to track down the vital statistics office in Faeto with a 'Hey, I think my great, great grandfather lived there...can you check?' :-)

searching

Postby searching » 31 Jul 2015, 21:02

Thanks Tessa...that's definitely Ralph. I'd no idea he had moved to CA...just assumed everyone stuck around New Castle. Looks like he'd claimed to be suffering from syphilis on his draft card...this is getting pretty colorful. ;-)

I just want to take a second to express my deepest appreciation for everyone's help...this discovery process could very well lead to a major fork in the road for my family and future generations if it allows me to make a case for jus sanguinis citizenship. So I'm incredibly grateful to you all.

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 01 Aug 2015, 00:31

Pennsylvania Death Certificate for Pietro Gallucci, father Raffaele, mother Madaleni Vatelli (Vitelli?) Possible brother/cousin of Antonio?

http://interactive.ancestry.com/5164/41 ... sePUB=true
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 02 Aug 2015, 02:44

Nice work Biff!
The surnames of Gallucci and Vitale are both found in Faeto

Marty

Marty

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 02 Aug 2015, 04:41

Thanks, Marty!

Our poster might want to order the Faeto birth (Nati) films for Mar 1860-1865 to see if he can find Antonio's birth act.

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Biff

searching

Postby searching » 03 Aug 2015, 15:03

Thanks so much Biff, this is fascinating. There's certainly a connection there...perhaps even brothers given the father's name, and given the age at death, coupled with Antonio's birth, it would make them very close in age, so it could be very likely that they were brothers.

One thing I noticed on the death cert was that the mother's maiden name and the first name of the witness were the same. I'm wondering if this was just a coincidence, or if someone misunderstood and filled it out using Pietro's wife's maiden and married name. The handwriting looks the same in both instances.

Biff83 wrote:Pennsylvania Death Certificate for Pietro Gallucci, father Raffaele, mother Madaleni Vatelli (Vitelli?) Possible brother/cousin of Antonio?

http://interactive.ancestry.com/5164/41 ... sePUB=true

searching

Postby searching » 03 Aug 2015, 15:08

Thanks Marty, given that Vitale is used on the death cert, are you suggesting that it is also an alternative spelling of Vatelli that the woman may have anglicized slightly? Or do you mean that the record-keeper may have spelled her name phonetically?
adelfio wrote:Nice work Biff!
The surnames of Gallucci and Vitale are both found in Faeto

Marty

Return to “Italian Genealogy”