Searching for Clavio / Claudio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
thermocaster

Searching for Clavio / Claudio

Postby thermocaster » 04 Aug 2015, 05:24

This is an odd request, but any help would be appreciated.

I am looking for any information about my paternal family line. My great grandfather's name is Paolo Clavio. I am 99% certain he was born with the name of Paolo Claudio in Sao Paolo, Brazil to Italian parents in 1897. Sometime in the 1900-1905 range he emigrated back to Italy with his mother, whose name was Louise Cemma. His father's name was Salvatore.

Anyway, sometime in the early 1910s, he traveled to the United States. I have not found him anywhere in the ellis island registry. He ended up joining the US Army in 1917, then worked and lived in and around Philadelphia until his death.

I'm trying to find any information about his parents (my great-great-grandparents), or their family lines. I have been told that the family was originally from Abruzzo, but I'm not sure whose side of the family that would have been. I have not found many Claudios on the name search for Abruzzo. I've exhausted all my known search options and was hoping someone here could help. Thanks.

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Searching for Clavio / Claudio

Postby PippoM » 04 Aug 2015, 13:54

I see there's another thread about this family.
All that I could find is the arrival of a family (maybe Paolo's one) at Sao Paulo on May 30th, 1895:

http://museudaimigracao.org.br/acervodi ... 49_110.pdf

that was not attached to that thread.
Do you know the town where Paolo was born?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 04 Aug 2015, 14:08

Paolo Clavio in the U.S., World War II Draft Registration
Name:Paolo Clavio
Birth Date:16 Feb 1897
Birth Place:Combara, Brazil
Residence:Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
His wifes name was Carmela Migliaccio married 1918 in Philadelphia

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 04 Aug 2015, 15:05

Wifes info
Name Carmela Cristina Migliaccio
Event Type Birth
Event Date 31 Mar 1897
Event Place Serrara Fontana, Napoli, Italy
Gender Female
Father's Name Antonio Leonardo Migliaccio
Mother's Name Angela Francesca Mattera

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK99-W5RR

Name Antonio Leonardo Migliaccio
Event Type Marriage
Event Date 08 Nov 1891
Event Place Serrara Fontana, Napoli, Italy
Gender Male
Age 28
Birth Year (Estimated) 1863
Birthplace Serrara Fontana, Italy
Father's Name Saverio Migliaccio
Mother's Name Felicia Schiano
Spouse's Name Angela Francesca Mattera
Spouse's Gender Female
Spouse's Age 22
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated) 1869
Spouse's Birthplace Serrara Fontana, Italy
Spouse's Father's Name Orazio Mattera
Spouse's Mother's Name Maria Mattera
Certificate Number 16

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVRK-R2RX
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

thermocaster

Postby thermocaster » 04 Aug 2015, 20:29

Pippo - Thanks for that. Yes, I honestly had forgotten that I'd started a thread about this before (it was almost 5 years ago), and then I found it a bit later. Thank you so much for that document - I recall someone mentioned it in the previous thread but I did not think it was related to my family. As it turns out, I think I was wrong, because I later got a document that confirmed that his parents were Salvatore and Louise (Luiza). I wish I'd known that at the time, because the guy (PeterTimber) said that more information on them might be available.

Adelfio - Apparently the birthplace is actually Sabara, Brazil. I think the writing was just bad on that entry. And thank you for the Migliaccio info - I don't think I had found my great grandmother's middle name yet!

So it appears that the name was either changed when they entered Brazil, or that it had been changed somewhere before that. I know the family is from Abruzzo, and I think there are some Claudios in that general area, but I've never run across any Clavios.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 04 Aug 2015, 21:16

Marty

thermocaster

Postby thermocaster » 05 Aug 2015, 15:23

Okay, so I have some new updates since my last post:

1) I found a note that was written to my great-grandfather which states that the family left Brazil and moved to Cupello, Italy. According to the note, the name was then mistakenly changed to Claudio - which I assume means that it was changed when headed back into Italy.

2) My great-great-grandmother's name was Luisa Cempa. She was the daughter of someone named Pasquantonio Cempa, who lived in Roccamonte Le Plaine, Chieti.

3) There was a brother of my great-grandfather named Anthony Claudio who was living in Cupello as of 1970. He had six children - Mario, Maria Luisa, Angelo, Ercole, Ugo, and an unnamed daughter. I think I have found a mailing address for Mario in Cupello. Two of the sons (Angelo and Ercole) were living in France as of 1970 and were both in their 30s at the time. Ugo was living in Switzerland at the time and was in his early 20s.

4) There was a sister of my great-grandfather names Amalia (or Emily) who lived in Chieti as of 1970, who was married to a man named Vincenzo Ricciardi. There was another sister named Ida who lived in Vasto, Italy.

5) There was another brother of my great-grandfather named Raymond, who had an unnamed daughter who died a few years before 1970, and a son who was working in Australia as of 1970.

Other than the listing for Mario Claudio, I haven't been able to find any contact info or listings on any of these individuals.

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 05 Aug 2015, 15:45

My great grand-mother's name is Elena Di Claudio. She was from Teramo, Abruzzo. There are over 100 listings for the name Di Claudio in the region of Abruzzo including all provinces, Teramo, Chieti, Pescara and L'Aquila. Is it possible the Di in the name Di Claudio was somehow left off? Some of my relatives in my GGM Di Claudio's line also emigrated to Brazil. Three of Elena Di Claudio's sons, the oldest who is my grand-father, Guglielmo Merlini, emigrated to the USA in 1910 and lived and died in the Philadelphia area, namely Wilmington, DE and Camden, NJ. They worked on the Pennsylvania Railroad.

thermocaster

Postby thermocaster » 05 Aug 2015, 18:21

Jennabet - I used to think that perhaps there was a "Di" in the Claudio, but now it seems like the original name of the family may actually have been "Clavio", and it got changed to "Claudio" upon their return to Italy from Brazil. However, it's interesting that your family emigrated to Brazil and then to the USA.

It's also strange, because if the original name was indeed "Clavio", you'd think there would still be some remaining Clavios in that area. But I searched this site (http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html) and none came up in Abruzzo. Many Claudios, and some Di Clavios in L'Aquila province, but no Clavios. Same with this site: (http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... cI399VVhBd)

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 05 Aug 2015, 19:25

I think the original name was Claudio or Di Claudio and that it was changed in error to Clavio upon immigration in Brazil, a country that is not the most familiar with the spellings of Italian names because the language spoken there is Portuguese. Also upon the family's return to Italy, they were registered in Cupello, which is also in Abruzzo in the same province of Chieti where they had lived before going to Brazil. Claudio/Di Claudio is a very Abruzzese name and I would think the authorities in Cupello would have been familiar with this family and their relatives who never left the province of Chieti and knew that their name was Claudio/Di Claudio and not Clavio. I would tend to rule out the Di Clavio's in provincia di L'Aquila as being your relatives because while L'Aquila is in Abruzzo, it's at the very northwest part of the region across the mountains and much closer to Rome. Your relatives returned to Chieti, which is the province in the southernmost part of the region of Abruzzo. I would go with Claudio or Di Claudio as the correct name.

Actually, my grand-father and his brothers who were sons of Elena Di Claudio came straight to America but my grand-father's first cousins went directly to Brazil and stayed there.

cimpala3

Postby cimpala3 » 07 Dec 2015, 17:44

My grandparents came from Cupello in the early 1900's. My grandmother's maiden name was Clavio (Maria) and I've never been able to find any info on other Clavio's. Because of the info provided, I'm wondering if her maiden name was actually Claudio. Thank you for the info being provided!

thermocaster

Postby thermocaster » 05 Jan 2016, 03:09

Cimpala3 - That's really interesting. I'd love to hear about where your family is from. Are they in the USA now?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”