Searching for a cousin with same surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Kaylie
Rookie
Rookie

Searching for a cousin with same surname

Postby Kaylie » 06 Aug 2015, 18:11

I am searching for a cousin (at least I think he might be a cousin) several times removed. His name is Isidoro Vaccarino, born in 1885 in Riposto Italy. He immigrated to the US in 1906 (arrival September 1906 - Ship Sicilian Prince) and was single, 21 years old. He was going to join his brother-in-law, Guseppe Valenti at 400 S. Height Street in Baltimore Maryland. He later married his wife Rosaria and had two children, Gregory and Frances. He died in Baltimore Maryland in 1975. He was the first in his family to immigrate to the US. I have been told that he had a brother, Giuseppe , who owned a grocery store in Baltimore's Little Italy. Since he was the first in his family to immigrate, I would like to be able to go back and find the records of ancestors born before him who never immigrated to the US. What I am actually attempting to ULTIMATELY do is to find out how I am related to this man since my maiden name is Vaccarino. I am first generation Italian-American. My father Pasquale immigrated to the US in 1919. As I said I would ultimately like to find out how many times removed I am from this man Isidoro (born 1885) and how I am related to him. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you

carubia
Master
Master

Re: Searching for a cousin with same surname

Postby carubia » 07 Aug 2015, 05:51

When was your father Pasquale Viccarino born and who were his parents?

So far I only see birth records online for Riposto from 1894. Maybe we can find births or marriages for siblings of these men or death records for parents. But probably Isidoro's marriage or death records from the US will be necessary.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 07 Aug 2015, 05:56

You've probably seen this already, but according to his naturalization record Isidoro was born 14 Mar 1885 in Riposto, his wife Rosaria was born 21 Sep 1891 in Riposto, and they had 3 living children in 1929, Joseph, Frances, and Gregory, all born in Baltimore.

He died in Oct 1875 and was buried in Most Holy Redeemer Cemetery in Baltimore with his wife Rosaria and son Pfc. Gregorio Vaccarino.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 07 Aug 2015, 06:32

According to the 1930 census, Isidoro and Rosaria were married around 1910. This fits with their first son Joseph (Giuseppe) being born in 1911. There's a good chance that Isidoro's father was also named Giuseppe, but that's not much to go on since that was the most common name in Sicily at the time.

Marriage banns and marriage licenses from Baltimore from that time period are available on microfilm at the Maryland State Archives. I've searched FamilySearch.org's collection of Maryland marriage records but haven't found anything.

Since you know he died in Oct 1975 in Baltimore, you can try ordering his death cert.

Kaylie
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Kaylie » 07 Aug 2015, 23:23

My father Pasquale Vaccarino was born in Riposto on April 15, 1913 and died on April 29, 1985. He had no brothers or sisters. His father (my grandfather) Isidoro was born in Riposto in 1877 and died in the US on March 10, 1947 in Brooklyn NY. My paternal grandmother Marianna Monforte was born in Riposto in 1880 and died in Brooklyn NY in September, 1955. My grandparents were married in Riposto and my grandmother immigrated to the US with my father in December, 1919. Ship arrived at Ellis Island on December 24, 1919. My grandfather was already in the US.
I already have the info on Isidoro who immigrated to Baltimore, had a wife Rosaria and 3 children, Giuseppe, Frances and Gregory who was killed in action during WWII. There is a good chance that Isidoro's (from Baltimore) father was Giuseppe since Italians most often named their first son after their father. Is there any record on a Giuseppe Vaccarino who had a son Isidoro born in 1885? I appreciate the time you took to research my request. Please let me know if you discover additional information.

Kaylie
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Kaylie » 08 Aug 2015, 18:01

For Carubia: I have one more piece of information for you. The name of Isidoro Vaccarino's (Baltimore) father was Giuseppe Vaccarino and his wife was Francesca Barbagalo. Isidoro had 3 brothers, Giuseppe and Carmelo (1/11/1881-3/28/1971) married to Rosa Greco( DOB 1/20/1896)

Kaylie
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Kaylie » 08 Aug 2015, 18:09

For Carubia: Marriage information for my grandfather Isidoro Vaccarino , age 32 (born in Riposto in 1877) are as follows: Isidoro Vaccarino, laborer born and residing in Riposto, son of decased Pasquale and deceased Nunzia Lisi (born in Giarre) married Marianna Monforte, age 29 residing in Riposto, born 1880, daughter of Salvatore Monforte and Giuseppa Conti Marriage date: January 5, 1910

Return to “Italian Genealogy”