need help finding Romano info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CiaoGina
Rookie
Rookie

need help finding Romano info

Postby CiaoGina » 14 Aug 2015, 17:15

Hello everyone,

You have been so helpful before This one is tough because I don't have a town in Italy. I need a birth certificate from my gr grandmother Maria Romano. Not only is her name common but I don't have a town. I know she married my gr grandfather Sebastiano Lorenzo in NYC because I have the marriage license and I know she is from Italy and her parents are Giuseppe Romano and Rosa Milano. She was born in 1879 and died in 1944. There are witnesses named Domingo Romano and Rosa Romano. I have had no luch with Ancestry or Ellis Island. This is like a needle in a haystack but thanks for any info. I am going to be applying for Italian citizenship and am afraid I will get nowhere with only my gr grandfather's birth certificate

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: need help finding Romano info

Postby Italysearcher » 14 Aug 2015, 18:04

There is an article on my website on locating the town of origin.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

CiaoGina
Rookie
Rookie

Postby CiaoGina » 14 Aug 2015, 18:17

Thanks. Your article mentions the passenger manifests which I have tried and the name Romano is all over the map.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 14 Aug 2015, 18:26

There's a decent chance you won't need your GGM's BC to apply for citizenship recognition. At which consulate will you apply?

CiaoGina
Rookie
Rookie

Postby CiaoGina » 14 Aug 2015, 22:08

That would be great. I am applying at San Francisco. You make an appt on-line which is over a year out and there is noone to answer general questions like this one.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 15 Aug 2015, 13:18

I think you'll be OK without it if you apply at SF. I don't think they're requiring non-line docs there anymore. You can see other people's recent experience there at the Italian Citizenship Message Board: http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/index.php

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 15 Aug 2015, 13:23

Good thing for you, too, because finding a Romano in all of Italy would be really hard. She's only your GGM so you'd think somebody in the family would know. Otherwise, there's passenger manifests, naturalization docs, and death certs, but the latter probably just says "Italy," too. First I'd try searching your GGF's town and nearby ones, since even though they married in the US their families may still have been from the same area. Your GGF's petition for naturalization, assuming he naturalized, may also mention where his wife was born.Do you know of any other relatives of your GGM who may have been born in Italy? Male ones in particular are more likely to have naturalization docs or WWI or WWII draft registration cards.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”