looking for some information: de Paula/Paola

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
drakonwulf

looking for some information: de Paula/Paola

Post by drakonwulf »

Its really hard to find any information about the family de Paula, even though i did, but not much info... I've discovered that Paula might be a spelling error from Paola (de and di too) but i could be wrong.

I'll be glad if someone could tell me its origins or were it is from, or if im right, de paula is indeed italian...

I wish my family would have kept records so i could look at it, but everything is lost and i feel really sad about this...

Thanks for any help
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: looking for some information: de Paula/Paola

Post by wldspirit »

In order to help you, we need more identifying infos. Who is the immigrant ancestor you are looking for? Approximate year of immigration? Spouse's name? Names of children? Parents? What state did they live in?
wldspirit
drakonwulf

Post by drakonwulf »

Thats the informatin i will need to look after i know if de paula is italian, ive encountered information that suggests that, but i need to be sure before i start looking. Because much of my family history is lost, the furthers person in my family i manage to get was my grandgrandgrandmother "Maria Umbelina de Paula" and my grand mother "Maria Almeida de Paula", they lived in Sao Paulo, and my granddad lived in "igarapava"

I just need to know +- the italian origin, or at least to make sure it is an italian name so i can track down(well at least try hehehe :lol: )

thank you
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

De Paola is present in 484 comuni.......

De Paula is present in 11 comuni.........

Di Paola is present in 659 comuni.....

Di Paula is present in 1 comuni........

To see the distribution of the surname in Italy, use the above web site.
Enter the name in cognome and click on the red arrow.
wldspirit
drakonwulf

Post by drakonwulf »

thank you for ur help
I wonder if de Paula really is a spelling mistake(even though i looked in portuguese website ive found nothing), but anyway, thank you so much for ur help!
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

drakonwulf wrote:Thats the informatin i will need to look after i know if de paula is italian, ive encountered information that suggests that, but i need to be sure before i start looking. Because much of my family history is lost, the furthers person in my family i manage to get was my grandgrandgrandmother "Maria Umbelina de Paula" and my grand mother "Maria Almeida de Paula", they lived in Sao Paulo, and my granddad lived in "igarapava"

I just need to know +- the italian origin, or at least to make sure it is an italian name so i can track down(well at least try hehehe :lol: )

thank you

Hi There,

The link below might help you find when your ancestors arrived. You have to register, but it's free. Click on the words "Find Your Roots", create a user name and password and then you can search for Brazil and Argentina

http://www.italians-world.org/Italy/BancaDatiGb.htm

Roots Web for San Paulo, Brazil
http://www.rootsweb.com/~brasp/index.html

Roots Web Message Boards
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/b11_index.html

Geneagoly.com Forum on Brazil
http://genforum.genealogy.com/brazil/

A few links about Brazil and genealogy
http://www.loc.gov/rr/international/cor ... yebd5.html

Some of the links on this page might help.
http://www.italianancestry.com/Section7.html

Geneagoly.com Forum on Brazil
http://www.imigrantesitalianos.com.br/

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
drakonwulf

Post by drakonwulf »

thank you for the help :)
nancee310

Post by nancee310 »

hello, my grandmothers maiden name was de paola, her first name was luiga and she came from caserta italy, she married savario narducci and came to america in 1920. the name of the ship was THE GIUSEPPE VERDI, they had 7 children my mother being 1 of those 7. their names are, andre, antonio, pietro, katherina, gaetanina, nicola, and anninell. if this helps you in any way or if you find we are related please let me know

nancee
napolionline

Post by napolionline »

drakonwulf wrote:thank you for ur help
I wonder if de Paula really is a spelling mistake(even though i looked in portuguese website ive found nothing), but anyway, thank you so much for ur help!
De Paula may be the spanish for an italian surname De Paola or Di Paola, but may be also an original spanish man surname.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

My 6GGM was Libera Paolecchia. In the early to mid-19th century, I found that the surname was changed to Paulecchia in many records. Perhaps the same thing occurred with your di Paola and di Paula. In any event, the interchange of Paol- and Paul- occurred in at least one area of Italy (Molise).
John Armellino
drakonwulf

Post by drakonwulf »

Thank you for everyone!

Im at the momment traking down some of my ancestors documents, to see what else can be done.

Again, thanks everyone for the attention!
hummbabybear

Post by hummbabybear »

Just one comment. In Spanish, the "de" was often added as a result of marriage and all the family surnames are used. So a married woman's name would be a combination like this:

Given Name + Father's Surname + y + Mother's Surname + de + Husband's Surname.

So if "Maria" had the parents surname Perez (Father's) and Gonzalez (Mother's), her birth name is

Maria Perez y Gonzalez.

If she married a man whose last name was Paula, then she becomes

Maria Perez y Gonzales de Paula

So the "De Paula" surname may actually be "Paula" and they forgot to drop the "de" over time.
TerriLand

Post by TerriLand »

My great grandparents went by the last name DePaula and they were from Italy. Their Italian spelling is DiPaola. They were from the small town/village of Polla near Salerno.
LauraTex

Post by LauraTex »

Hi, the name DePaula is in my family.

Great Great Grandfather Salvatore D'aquanno born circa 1865 married to Paula DePaula.

This was somewhere in Italy or Sicily. I do not have any other info on the DePaula's before this marriage.

Their child was named Guiseppi. He married Rosaria Gealo. They gave birth to my Grandpa Sam D'aquanno.

If this sounds familiar-let me know. Thank you.

ciao, cau,

Laura
TerriLand

Post by TerriLand »

Laura, I wish I knew. The time period is close. I think my great grandfather was born in Sicily but later seems like his family moved to Polla, Italy...which is a tiny town near Salerno...but more inland. Do you have any photos? I do have one of my great grandfather. His real name was Guiseppe DiPaola. Changed it to DePaula over time in America. I do know my grandmother's brother was named Francis Paul de Paula. So I really don't know much. You can write me at TerriLand@aol.com and put DePaula in the subject line so I know it's not spam. Sorry I couldn't be more help.