Where to request birth certificate?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TennaLin

Where to request birth certificate?

Postby TennaLin » 26 Sep 2015, 00:10

Hello!
I'm trying to help my husband gather information on his family (possibly for a dual citizenship application), but I'm having trouble figuring out where to request a copy of his great grandfather's birth certificate from Italy.

His ggrandfather's name is Alessandro Troiani, and was born around 1900 (though some documents say 24 May 1900, I'm not sure if that's accurate). He arrived in the US on 27 Oct 1923, and according to the passenger lists he was born in Rotella, which I think is in Ascoli Piceno. Does this mean we'd have to request the birth certificate from Rotella? Or from Ascoli Piceno? Someplace else? How can I find the right address for such requests?

Thanks so much in advance!

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Where to request birth certificate?

Postby Biff83 » 26 Sep 2015, 20:13

Benvenuta!

My grandparents lived in Plains.

I'm not sure if you have this 1935 marriage record for Alessandro from Luzerne county. Parents' names: Peter (Pietro) and Lucy (Lucia) Coccia.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KHFS-GTJ

To obtain a copy of Alessandro's birth act (atto di nascita) your husband will need to send a request to the vital records office in the town of Rotella. I recommend that you send your request in a 9x12 outer envelope and use a 6x9 self-addressed return envelope; this should ensure that the copy of the birth act sent back to you isn't folded multiple times.

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Rotella
Via Umberto I, 11
63071 Rotella (AP)
ITALY

The letter should be written in Italian by your husband and should include a self-addressed UNSTAMPED return envelope. Your husband should request a "copia integrale dello atto di nascita." Sample letter follows. Do not send any money.

Your Husband''s Name
Street Address
City, State/Province Post Code
Country
E-Mail Address (optional)

26 settembre 2015

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Rotella
Via Umberto I, 11
63071 ROTELLA AP
ITALY

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo (Your Husband's Name), ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto. Cerco informazioni sul mio bisnonno, Alessandro Troiani. Nato nel comune di Rotella. Cerco questi dati per conoscere meglio la mia famiglia, e per trovare i miei parenti rimasti in Italia.

Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi una copia integrale dell'atto di nascita di Alessandro Troiani. Nato nel 1900, figlio di Pietro Troiani e Lucia Coccia.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certificati.

Distinti saluti,
(Your husband's signature)
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

TennaLin

Postby TennaLin » 26 Sep 2015, 22:01

Yup, that's their marriage info! I'm really hoping tracking down his birth certificate will help determine the correct spelling of his mother's name - his sister's marriage records all have different spellings and we'd love to be able to trace back further. Thank you so much for the information! He is really excited to get more information on his family! :)

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 26 Sep 2015, 23:14

I also located his sisters Clara and Maria's marriage records which show the mother's surname as Koccer and Kocha. I believe that the correct surname is Coccia, a surname still found in province of Ascoli Piceno today.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Return to “Italian Genealogy”