How to find records if traveling to Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mercs

How to find records if traveling to Italy

Postby mercs » 02 Oct 2015, 21:15

Very new to all of this. We have several items from my husband's grandfather. Medals from WWI and Immigration records from Ellis Island. We have connected with members of his grandmother's family. They know nothing of his grandfather's family.
His grandparents were from Alezio.
Where do we go to find birth and marriage records as well as military records from WWI?

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: How to find records if traveling to Italy

Postby adelfio » 05 Oct 2015, 06:13

Welcome to IG website how about some names and dates?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 06 Oct 2015, 07:11

I suggest you get as much as you can by email and mail before you plan a trip there. It will make your trip more meaningful and you can also focus on getting records that it is harder to get at a distance.

Like adelfio said, if you give some names and dates there are people here who can help.
Where to go will also depend on where your ancestors are from and what records you want.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

mercs

Postby mercs » 06 Oct 2015, 14:34

I made a reply yesterday and hit submit. Not sure what happened so I will try again.

My husband's grandfather's name is Settimio Liborio Mercuri or Mercurio
From Alezio, Italy
Born December 27, 1895
Served in WWI and there are stories of him being a prisoner of war
We have a copy of a war document with his last name spelled with the 'o' on the end
Immigrated to the US in September of 1920 and met his brother Cosimo (we have the ship manifest from Ellis Island)
Back to Italy and married Agata Leo in 1928 (Agata was born October 7, 1904 also from Alezio)
They came to US together in November 1928 (again, the ship manifest)
Agatha died in 1947 and Settimio in 1950 when my father-in-law was a child
We are in touch with a cousin of my father-in-law's on the Leo side. They know nothing about the Mercuri 'o' side.
Brothers of Settimio that we have listed in family notes are: Luigi, Cosimo, Trestitimo, Quadriocchi, Cincosimio, Siete, Octavio and Nove. Not sure how valid these names are as it sounds to me like they are counting. But we do have the document listing Settimio. We would love to find birth and marriage records. We plan to be in NJ in December and hope to visit their grave sites.

Thank YOU.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 06 Oct 2015, 17:27

Send this email for records to start you off in your research give it 30 days for a responce
Email: anagrafe@comune.alezio.le.it

Ufficio Servizi Demografici e anagrafe
Comune di Alezio
Via San Pancrazio, 34
73011 Alezio (LE)
Italy

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di Settimio Liborio Mercurio

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Alezio. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : Settimio Mercurio
Luogo di nascita: Alezio
Data di nascita: 1895
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di matrimonio o l’estratto completo dell’atto di matrimonio di Settimio Mercurio e Agata Leo

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Alezio. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di matrimoni di queste persone:
Nome e cognome del marito: Settimio Mercurio
Nome e cognome della moglie: Agata Leo
Luogo di matrimonio: Alezio
Data di matrimonio: 1927-1928
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

mercs

Postby mercs » 07 Oct 2015, 05:00

Thank YOU! We will give it a try. Mercs

Return to “Italian Genealogy”