Marino;Gentile;Riselli;Capriato;Merola;Guadagno;Aiello

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Addy

Marino;Gentile;Riselli;Capriato;Merola;Guadagno;Aiello

Postby Addy » 09 Sep 2005, 01:07

Hello,

This is the first query that I am posting regarding my family genealogy, since I just started working on it about 10 months ago. I am seeking information on the names listed in the Subject Line above from the following locations in Italy: Marino-Gentile-Riselli-Capriato in or in the vicinity of Piedimonte d'Alife (Matese); Merola-Guadagno-Aiello in or in the vicinity of Maddaloni; These are on my paternal line.

D'Agostino-Mastrogiovanni in or in the vicinity of Salento (Salerno) and Esposito-Malfucci-DeSimola in or in the vicinity of Castellammare di Stabia. These are on my maternal line.

All of these ancestors came to the USA and settled in Connecticut - in the vicinity of or in, New Haven and Derby. They came in the late 1800s to early 1900s.

I will be happy for any info you care to provide and would be willing to share more of what I already know.

Best wishes,
Addy

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Marino;Gentile;Riselli;Capriato;Merola;Guadagno;Aiello

Postby brujaojos » 10 Sep 2005, 06:00

Hi Addy,

You are giving us a lot of names to deal with. I have listed below the microfilm numbers for some of the towns you mentioned. However, if you can give us some more detailed information, we might be able to help you narrow things down better.

Please give us first and last names, spouses, and chilren you know of as well as year of birth. This will help us find people in the census and ship's manifests.

I hope this all helps,
Trish

Marino-Gentile-Riselli-Capriato in or in the vicinity of Piedimonte d'Alife (Matese);

The Family History Center has microfilm that you can order and rent for about $3.50 a roll for the town of Piedimonte d'Alife.

Here is the link for the film numbers.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Merola-Guadagno-Aiello in or in the vicinity of Maddaloni;

Here is the link for the film numbers for Maddaloni

Esposito-Malfucci-DeSimola in or in the vicinity of Castellammare di Stabia.

Here is the link for the film numbers for Castellammare di Stabia
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum

Addy

Postby Addy » 10 Sep 2005, 21:46

Hi Trish,

And thank you for your reply! Yes I have lots of names, but I figured if they are all listed someone may see one they recognize; I have no expectations about receiving lots of info on all of them...I may be new to this but I know better already...LOL!! Thanks for the FHC info, I have a friend who volunteers in our local center who is going to help me with that. I am keenly interested in finding out if I have relatives in Italy who care about genealogy at all. I've looked at the names in the various cities phone directories and wonder if we are kin. I am especially interested since my great-grandfather Biagio Merola went back to Italy when his wife Giovanna Guadagno Merola died here in New Haven, CT in 1917. He married again, but I don't have any info on what became of him and any family over there. My grandfather, his son with Giovanna, kept in touch with them periodically and even with his widow after he passed. I am trying to see if those letters still exist within the family somewhere.

I am also interested in the Espositos in Castellammaare di Stabia since I heard my great-grandfather, Stanislao had 15 brothers and sisters there. But with a name like Esposito I know it may prove very difficult. I will soon have to begin writing to Italy for more info...a chore I understand to sometimes be a difficult on. I'll try to have patience.

Thanks again for your attention to my post. Best wishes,
Adrienne

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby brujaojos » 11 Sep 2005, 00:25

Addy wrote:Hi Trish,

And thank you for your reply! Yes I have lots of names, but I figured if they are all listed someone may see one they recognize; I have no expectations about receiving lots of info on all of them...I may be new to this but I know better already...LOL!! Thanks for the FHC info, I have a friend who volunteers in our local center who is going to help me with that. I am keenly interested in finding out if I have relatives in Italy who care about genealogy at all. I've looked at the names in the various cities phone directories and wonder if we are kin. I am especially interested since my great-grandfather Biagio Merola went back to Italy when his wife Giovanna Guadagno Merola died here in New Haven, CT in 1917. He married again, but I don't have any info on what became of him and any family over there. My grandfather, his son with Giovanna, kept in touch with them periodically and even with his widow after he passed. I am trying to see if those letters still exist within the family somewhere.

I am also interested in the Espositos in Castellammaare di Stabia since I heard my great-grandfather, Stanislao had 15 brothers and sisters there. But with a name like Esposito I know it may prove very difficult. I will soon have to begin writing to Italy for more info...a chore I understand to sometimes be a difficult on. I'll try to have patience.

Thanks again for your attention to my post. Best wishes,
Adrienne

Dear Adrienne,

I'm sure you have this manifest, but I wanted to post it anyway. Here is Giovanna, Lorenzo and Giovanna's daughters coming to the USA. This is a two page manifest.

Page One.
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0082%2ETIF

Page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0082%2ETIF

Here is Biagoi and Giovanna in the 1910 census.

Name: Biaso Merola
Age in 1910: 30
Estimated birth year: abt 1880
Home in 1910: 6-Wd New Haven, New Haven, Connecticut
Series: T624
Roll: 139
Part: 2
Page: 139B
Year: 1910

Here is a Nicola Merola in the 1910 census who had a son named Louis (could be for Lorenzo). This could be a clue for the father of Biago meaning his father could be Lorenzo (if he followed the traditional naming pattern).

Name: Nicolas Merola
Age in 1910: 30
Estimated birth year: abt 1880
Home in 1910: Hamden Twp, New Haven, Connecticut
Series: T624
Roll: 136
Part: 3
Page: 47B
Year: 1910

Here is the listing for Infobel directory for the surname Merola in Maddaloni.

http://www.infobel.com/italy/wp/search/ ... Search.y=9

Here is the listing for Esposito from Infobel
http://www.infobel.com/italy/wp/search/ ... earch.y=16

Remember, write your letter in Italian to the people in Italy. Also, send an envelope with 2 International Reply Coupons.

Hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)

Trish

Professional & Certified Genealogist

Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services

Genealogy-Forum

Return to “Italian Genealogy”