Help with translation

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
comescrap
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 25 Sep 2015, 03:53

Help with translation

Postby comescrap » 10 Oct 2015, 20:18

Can I get some help with this translation? Thank you!


http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help with translation

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 10 Oct 2015, 21:54

Marriage Record No 7: Giuseppe Santella with Angelamaria Filomena Morrone

1 May 1902, 12.15, Ielsi (Jelsi)

Groom: Giuseppe Santella, celibe (unmarried), 23 yo, muratore, born and living Ielsi, son of Pasquale residing New York and Marianicola Santella residing Ielsi.

Bride: Angelamaria Filomena Morrone, nubile (unmarried), 23 yo, donna di casa (domestic duties), residing Ielsi, daughter of Giovannicola and Mariagiuseppa d'Elia, both residng Ielsi.

Banns were posted on 23 and 30 March 1902.

Both bride and groom have signed the marriage document at the bottom of the record along with the witnesses and official.

Angela :D

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help with translation

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 10 Oct 2015, 22:16

Here is the marriage banns for this couple which gives more information and confirms a few things for me:

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Dated: 17 March 1902, 11.30 am, Ielsi (Jelsi)

Prospective Groom:
Giuseppe Santella, celibe, 23, muratore (mason/bricklayer), residing Ielsi, son of Pasquale, 48, contadino (peasant farmer), residing New York, and son of Marianicola Santella, contadina, residing Ielsi.

Prospective Bride:
Angelmaria Filomena Morrone, nubile, 23, donna di casa, residing Ielsi, daughter of Giovannicola, 56 yo, possidente (land owner), and Mariagiuseppa d'Elia, possidente, both residing Ielsi.

I can't quite catch everything it is saying at the bottom of the record but basically I understand it to be saying that a notification (first sent to Rome) was received today from a Notary in New York, dated 7 February 1902, on behalf of Giuseppe's father, (who was residing there), giving consent? to the marriage. (I need to spend a little more time on this.)

Angela

comescrap
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 25 Sep 2015, 03:53

Re: Help with translation

Postby comescrap » 11 Oct 2015, 00:44

Thanks Angela! This helps so much! I couldn't figure out how I kept seeing the father on documents in America when Guiseppe didn't come over until 1906! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 5419
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help with translation

Postby liviomoreno » 11 Oct 2015, 08:49

AngelaGrace56 wrote:
I can't quite catch everything it is saying at the bottom of the record but basically I understand it to be saying that a notification (first sent to Rome) was received today from a Notary in New York, dated 7 February 1902, on behalf of Giuseppe's father, (who was residing there), giving consent? to the marriage. (I need to spend a little more time on this.)

Angela


This is what i read:

The documents presented are the copy of the birth acts of the spouses released today by the civil state officer, and the declaration, received in New York on Feb 7 1902 by the public Notary Angelo Ligresti(?) and legalize by the Ministero degli affari esteri (Italian foreign office) in Rome on March 2, where the groom's father gives consent to the marriage.
The groom's mother was also attending and giving her consent

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help with translation

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 11 Oct 2015, 10:20

liviomoreno wrote:
AngelaGrace56 wrote:
I can't quite catch everything it is saying at the bottom of the record but basically I understand it to be saying that a notification (first sent to Rome) was received today from a Notary in New York, dated 7 February 1902, on behalf of Giuseppe's father, (who was residing there), giving consent? to the marriage. (I need to spend a little more time on this.)

Angela


This is what i read:

The documents presented are the copy of the birth acts of the spouses released today by the civil state officer, and the declaration, received in New York on Feb 7 1902 by the public Notary Angelo Ligresti(?) and legalize by the Ministero degli affari esteri (Italian foreign office) in Rome on March 2, where the groom's father gives consent to the marriage.
The groom's mother was also attending and giving her consent


Great. Thank you for clarifying, Livio. I did understand the beginning, and the end, just got a little muddled in the middle. As always, thankyou for the backup :D :D

Angela

comescrap wrote:Thanks Angela! This helps so much! I couldn't figure out how I kept seeing the father on documents in America when Guiseppe didn't come over until 1906! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!


You are very welcome :D :D

Angela

comescrap
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 25 Sep 2015, 03:53

Re: Help with translation

Postby comescrap » 11 Oct 2015, 19:27

So as I think about this a little more, are there birth documents and a notarized note somewhere as well - would they be in the same volume??

User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 5419
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help with translation

Postby liviomoreno » 12 Oct 2015, 08:28

comescrap wrote:So as I think about this a little more, are there birth documents and a notarized note somewhere as well - would they be in the same volume??

Yes they are kept in a folder called "Allegati", but, unfortunately, they are not online for 1902...

comescrap
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 25 Sep 2015, 03:53

Re: Help with translation

Postby comescrap » 12 Oct 2015, 18:54

Ohhhhh, and am I understanding that Guiseppe's mother's maiden name was also Santella???? And Angelmaria's mother's last name was D'Elia???? (Isn't that the name of a town there????) So many questions!!!! And I couldn't do it without you guys!!!!

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help with translation

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 13 Oct 2015, 06:33

comescrap wrote:Ohhhhh, and am I understanding that Guiseppe's mother's maiden name was also Santella???? Yes, correct :D And Angelmaria's mother's last name was D'Elia???? Yes, Correct. (Isn't that the name of a town there????) I can't find a town anywhere by that name, but there could be. So many questions!!!! Keep asking, we like helping, when we can.And I couldn't do it without you guys!!!!


Here's the marriage record and banns for Giuseppe's parents, Pasquale Santella and Marianicola Santella:

Marriage No 3: Pasquale Santella and Marianicola Santella
30 January 1879, 6 pm, Ielsi
Groom: Pasquale Santella, unmarried, 25, peasant farmer, born and residing Ielsi, son of Giuseppe, residing Ielsi, and the late Marianicola Sereno, who resided in Ielsi when living

Bride: Marianicola Santella, unmarried, 22, contadina, born and residing Ielsi, daughter of Andrea and Concetta Iapalucci both residing Ielsi.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

The marriage banns give a little more information about the parents:

No 2: Pasquale Santella and Maria Nicola Santella
9 January 1879, 11.15 am, Ielsi
Prospective Groom: Pasquale Santella, celibe (unmarried), 25(1854) , contadino (peasant farmer), residing Ielsi, son of Giuseppe, 48(1831), ferraio (Blacksmith), residing Ielsi, and the late Marianicola Sereno, contadina (peasant farmer) who resided Ielsi when living.

Prospective Bride: Maria Nicola Santella, nubile (unmarried), 22(1857), peasant farmer, residing Ielsi, daughter of Andrea, 45(1834), muratore (mason/bricklayer), residing Ielsi, daughter of Concetta Iapalucci, peasant farmer, residing Ielsi.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 5.jpg.html

Angela :)

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Birth Record Pasquale Santella (Giuseppe's Father)

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 13 Oct 2015, 07:07

Birth Record No 32: Pasquale Santella

Recorded on 12 April 1853, 2 pm before the Mayor, Andrea Morrone (Interesting?), Ielsi.
Father: Giuseppe Santella, son of Pasquel (Santella), 23yo(1830), Ferraio (blacksmith)
Mother: Maria Nicola Sereno, daughter of the late Luigi (Sereno), 26yo(1827)
Pasquale was born on 11 April 1853 and baptised on 12 April 1853.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Angela :)

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Birth Record: Maria Nicola Santella (Giuseppe's Mother)

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 13 Oct 2015, 11:30

Birth Record No 29: Maria Nicola Santella
Recorded on 30 March 1856, 3 pm, Ielsi
Father: Andrea Santella, son of the late Francesco, 23yo, muratore
Mother: Concetta Iapalucci, 26,
Maria Nicola was born on 29 March 1856, 9 p.m. at their home.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 8.jpg.html

Angela :)

comescrap
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 25 Sep 2015, 03:53

Re: Help with translation

Postby comescrap » 13 Oct 2015, 19:08

You are amazing Angela! I hope that it doesn't mean they were related!!!! LOL

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 2560
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Help with translation

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 13 Oct 2015, 19:36

:) Well, it's a possibility. First cousins did marry first cousins. I don't know in this case, however. You won't know until you go back further and/or branch out laterally. Santella seemed to be a very popular name in Ielsi.
Angela :D


Return to “Italian Genealogy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], liviomoreno and 5 guests