church marriage records: place of birth or residence

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carubia
Master
Master

church marriage records: place of birth or residence

Postby carubia » 13 Oct 2015, 05:15

In church marriage records, where one sees "huius terrae..." just after the person's name, does that indicate where he was born, or only where he currently resides?

For example, "Domenicum Garamella huius terrae Riberae fil. leg. et nat....."

I almost never see the brides with place names after their names, though. Are they using a word meaning "the same" to indicate that the bride was also from the same place, or did they just not mention where she was from?

Also, is there a Latin equivalent of "furono" to indicate that both parents are deceased. Quondam is equivalent to fu'; can it also be used to mean furono?

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: church marriage records: place of birth or residence

Postby PippoM » 13 Oct 2015, 08:39

carubia wrote:In church marriage records, where one sees "huius terrae..." just after the person's name, does that indicate where he was born, or only where he currently resides?
It usually indicates where they were born
For example, "Domenicum Garamella huius terrae Riberae fil. leg. et nat....."

I almost never see the brides with place names after their names, though. Are they using a word meaning "the same" to indicate that the bride was also from the same place, or did they just not mention where she was from?
that's because marriages usually took place in bride's town
Also, is there a Latin equivalent of "furono" to indicate that both parents are deceased. Quondam is equivalent to fu'; can it also be used to mean furono?
Yes
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 13 Oct 2015, 10:23

Upon looking more closely, I suspect that there really is something equivalent to "the same" on there. For the husband it will generally say "huius terra Ribera" (these records are from Ribera) whereas for the bride it will say "huius terra" + another lower case word that I can't make out. Except when the groom's place of birth is omitted (i.e., there is no "huius terra") or it is not Ribera, in which case after the bride's name it says "huius terra Ribera". In one strange record there was another person listed before the groom who had "huius terra Ribera", and then the groom was listed with "huius terra" + that other word, and then the bride was listed with the same thing.

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 13 Oct 2015, 11:44

PippoM, yes that's correct, the marriage usually takes place in the town and in the parish church where the bride was baptized. It's still that way in Italy today and was always that way in the US when Italian-Americans were marrying in their cities on the East Coast. In my city in Wilmington, Delaware our Italian-American church, St. Anthony of Padua has become THE PLACE where everyone wants to get married but not all are so entitled if they weren't baptized there. In Italy when I was visiting the Shrine of Padre Pio in Puglia, there was a wedding happening at the same time but that's because the bride was from the town of San Giovanni Rotondo. Italians consider it a great honor to hail from a town that is famous for a popular religious shrine.

saccolicious

Postby saccolicious » 14 Nov 2015, 22:51

"hujus/huius Terrae" literally means "of this land"

hujus/huius is the genitive (possessive) form of "haec" meaning "this"
Terrae is the genitive form of "Terra"
See my Pescara site: noccianogenealogy.wordpress.com

My areas of research:
Province of Pescara: towns of Civitaquana, Nocciano, Catignano, Pianella
Province of Avellino: towns of Montemiletto, Torre le Nocelle, Taurasi

Return to “Italian Genealogy”