John and Josephine D'Agostino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
fdagostino

John and Josephine D'Agostino

Postby fdagostino » 16 Oct 2015, 21:15

My great-grandparents emigrated from Italy to the United States in the early 20th century.

John was born on 07 January 1881 in Italy, but we're not sure where. He came to the USA in 1903. His friends and extended family called him "Gioan." I expect his birth name would have been Giovanni, which was anglicized when he emigrated.

Josephine Trotta was born on 05 November 1893, and she said she was from Naples. She used to say, "See Naples and die." She came to the USA in 1909. She was also called "Peppina" (which is probably a nickname).

It appears that John and Josephine married around 1910. In the 1930 census, they lived in Hackensack, NJ, and had seven children: Corino (18), Kate (16), Pat (14), Antonette (12), Salvatore (9, my grandfather), Florence (7), and John (4).

John died in West Palm Beach, Florida, in 1969, and Josephine died in 1973 in Teaneck, NJ. Both are buried in a cemetery near Hackensack, NJ.

We're trying to find out any additional family information we can, especially the generations who lived in Italy. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: John and Josephine D'Agostino

Postby adelfio » 17 Oct 2015, 17:36

Welcome to IG website I think this is Giovanni D'Agostino shipmanifest line#15 going to Hackensack, NJ. I think your birth year is off

PG LINK TO RECORD
http://libertyellisfoundation.org/passe ... 5pZmVzdCI7

I think possibility this is your Giovanni D'Agostino I think the first boy was named Cosimo D'Agostino not Corino D'Agostino

From the Archivio di Salerno

Nome: Giovanni D'Agostino

Classe: 1880

Comune di nascita: Montecorvino Pugliano province Salerno

Full text:

Giovanni D'Agostino son of Cosmo D'Agostino and Clementina Falivene born 01/06/1880 a Montecorvino Pugliano di professione Contadino

POSSIBLE SIBLINGS
D'Agostino

Nome: Pasquale

Classe: 1883

Comune di nascita: Montecorvino Pugliano

Full text:

D'Agostino Pasquale di Cosmo e Falivene Clementina nato il 08/03/1883 a Montecorvino Pugliano di professione Contadino

D'Agostino

Nome: Vincenzo

Classe: 1889

Comune di nascita: Montecorvino Pugliano

Full text:

D'Agostino Vincenzo di Cosmo e Falivene Clementina nato il 26/6/1889 a Montecorvino Pugliano di professione operaio

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

fdagostino

Re: John and Josephine D'Agostino

Postby fdagostino » 19 Oct 2015, 14:39

Thanks, Marty! That may very well be him. The information we have is based on his public records here in the USA, which may be inaccurate. They apparently weren't willing to talk much about Italy, so there isn't much oral history to go on, either. Your information will at least provide a thread to follow.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”