Sormanti family from Milan, Reggio di Modena, and Rome

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Sormanti family from Milan, Reggio di Modena, and Rome

Postby Amansolillo » 16 Oct 2015, 21:52

I am looking for information on Luigi Sormanti. He was born abt 1823 in Valmontone, Roma, the son of Antonio Sormanti. He was married to Raffaella Zaccardi from Ceprano, Frosinone, where he later resided.

This is from a family story I was given:

"The Sormanti family roots date back to 1200. "Di Sormanno" was the original name and then became "Sormanti" or "Sormanni". The family established itself in Milan in the first years of the 15th century. They became first magistrates of the city and were well-known in the circles of nobility.

During the reign of Francesco I in Italy when he conquered Milan, Carlo Sormanti was put at the head of the reign. Girolamo Sormanti was given some land in Valbrana, next to Canzo. The Sormanti family settled in Reggio di Modena in 1669 and then returned to Milan, where they restored their fortune through the Industria Cancaria and became acquainted with the first families settling in that city.

Filippo IV of Spain assigned Paolo Giuseppe Sormanti in 1669 to be head of the Court of Minaglia. One of his sons was a Spanish general, then ambassador to the Court of England of Portogallo, and then Marshall and Governor of Pavia during the time of Carlo VI. Maria Teresa and Francesco elevated this family to the level of Counts of the Empire. Giuseppe di Francesco Sormanti move in 1669 to Montecchio and relocated his family to Reggio. The family was friendly with Princes Amalia Benedetta d'Este, were made citizens of Reggio and Scandiano, and in 1776 were made Counts by Francesco III. In 1797, a branch of the family established itself in Rome and they became citizens in 1812.
"

Here is an alternate, literal translation:

"The first certain memories of this family are recalled from the 1200 century in which we find described as DI SORMANNO in VALASSIARA from which this name was derived. From that Valley the SORMANTI OR SORMANNI was transplanted to Milan. In the first years of the 15th century and there they occupied the first city Magistrate and they were counted among the noble patricians collegiate of 4th nobility.

At the time when Francis I descended on Italy to the Congress of the Territory of Milan, they took sides; some with Sforzshi and others with the Imperiali, because a CARLO SORMANTI was placed in exile from reign as a renegade and was ditituted from his fief (tenures) and from the county of SORMANNO, while a certain GIROLAMO, proud and generous chevalier of the same family, partial to the French Sire, was from this person gratified with some territories in VALBRONA near CANZO, which later on were transferred to branch of the Sormanti who established themselves at REGGIO of MODENA in 1669. Having peace returned in the territory of Milan, the SORMANTI reentered Milan where they were told their fortune exercising the (Casearia) industry and contracting conspicuous allegiances with the first families of that city.

In 1665, Phillip IV of Spain invested on PAOLO GIUSEPPE SORMANTI the feud or the fief in the County of Minaglia, and one of his sons was a Spanish General, then was Ambassador to the Court of England, of Portugal and of the Empire and finally Marshall and Governor of Pavia during the time of Charles VI, in favor of whom he spilled his own blood and valor.

Maria Teresa and Francis I elevated this family to the grade and title of COUNTS OF THE EMPIRE; GIUSEPPE of FRANCISCO SORMANTI, transferred themselves in 1669 in MONTECCHIO, and therefore transplanted this proper family or HIS OWN FAMILY IN REGGIO.

Having the SORMANTI been admitted in the family of PRINCESS AMALIA and BENEDETTA d'ESTE, installed as citizens of REGGIO and SCANDIANO were created COUNTS by Francis III in 1776. A branch in 1797 established itself from Modena to Rome where it was invested by the PATRICIANS in 1812.
"

Unfortunately, I do not know from which apparent Italian source this story originated. Additionally, I am not entirely sure of its accuracy either. What I do know, however, is that the story is correct in that the Sormanti family settled in Rome. Luigi Sormanti was born roughly 11 years after the Sormanti family settled in Rome in the story, which means his father Antonio Sormanti could possibly have been from Reggio di Modena or Modena, depending on the translation.
Last names of interest: Mansolillo, Morena, Grasso, Montecalvo, Fusco, Sinapi, DelBonis, Grossi, Sormanti, Cocuzzoli, Simonelli, Bevilacqua, Uccello, Cultrera, Pesaturo, Fragola

Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Sormanti family from Milan, Reggio di Modena, and Rome

Postby Amansolillo » 19 Oct 2015, 00:20

http://www.heraldrysinstitute.com/cogno ... 2/lang/en/ states that the last name (di) Sormano originated from the comune Sormano in the valley region of Valassina and makes mention of a Ottone de Solmanno residing in Milan. However, http://www.heraldrysinstitute.com/cogno ... 3/lang/en/ states that the last name Sormanti appeared in Cagliari in the 14th century, mentioning a Pietro Sormanti who died in 1360.

I was able to locate the source for the information on the surname Sormano, leading me to http://siusa.archivi.beniculturali.it/c ... iave=27700 and http://www.lombardiabeniculturali.it/ar ... IDD000111/, which make mention of Paolo Giuseppe Sormanti, but has his last name as Sormani. The second link mentions that there are three branches of the (di) Sormano family: one centered in Milan, the second in Valbrona and Reggio Emilia (Reggio di Modena), and a third in Osteno and Savona. It also states that the first bearer of the last name in Milan was Baldo di Sormano. While most of this seems to be in accordance to the story I was given, it does cause me to wonder exactly when di Sormano became Sormanti, or if Sormanti derived from Sormani.
Last names of interest: Mansolillo, Morena, Grasso, Montecalvo, Fusco, Sinapi, DelBonis, Grossi, Sormanti, Cocuzzoli, Simonelli, Bevilacqua, Uccello, Cultrera, Pesaturo, Fragola

Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Amansolillo » 27 Oct 2015, 21:30

Bump

Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Amansolillo » 25 Apr 2016, 04:34

Bump

mmogno
Elite
Elite

Postby mmogno » 25 Apr 2016, 11:05

Return to “Italian Genealogy”