Searching for Diotiguida surname info from Roccarainola.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
royalbobcat

Postby royalbobcat » 26 Oct 2015, 20:52

Very uncommon surname of my Great Great Grandfather.... Aniello Diotiguida.

I have many US records and photo of him but cannot seem to find this surname anywhere in Italy. He does have parents listed on his death certificate but surname seems to be no where in Italy that I can find. I am aware of the fact that compassionate names such as this (Little Lamb, God guides you) are common indicators of names given to orphans at times.... but I am looking for some Italian records to dig further into this.
Anyone up for a challenge or know someone who researchers the Roccarainola area?

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Searching for Diotiguida surname info from Roccarainola.

Postby Biff83 » 26 Oct 2015, 21:06

If this is your gg grandfather's 2 page 1920 ship manifest, it states his last residence
as Roccarainola but his birthplace as Nola on the second page. An earlier 1899 manifest gives last residence as Roccarinola but there is no reference to his birth place; likewise, the later 1930 manifest does not give either a last residence nor a place of birth since he was naturalized.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... _2852-0251

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

royalbobcat

Postby royalbobcat » 26 Oct 2015, 21:29

Thanks for this.... I am going to review the info I have at home as I believe I have the 1920 manifest you are referring to.... I will let you know.

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 27 Oct 2015, 00:04

In case you need these.

Aniello's 1925 Passport Application (right hand image); toggle forward for his passport picture.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/1174/US ... _2711-0498

Petition for Naturalization gives place of birth as Roccarainola, and references another trip in 1914.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/2717/31 ... sePUB=true

1904 ship manifest for wife Pasqualina Miele, son Domenico and daughter Sinella.
All last residence Gargano (likely Gargani, a frazione in the town of Roccarainola). Lines 17-19.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... sePUB=true

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 27 Oct 2015, 00:19

1914 ship manifest for Aniello. Line 11. More relatives referenced on this manifest.
Nearest relative in Italy Aniello Lettieri (who is the father of line 12) Brasilino? Lettieri.
Destination Braddock PA to join wife Pasqualina Miele (the aunt of line 12)
Last residence and place of birth Roccarainola for both Aniello and Brasilino.
So, what town was his birthplace. Majority say Roccarainola but there's a chance it might be Nola.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... _2275-0760

Biff

royalbobcat

Postby royalbobcat » 27 Oct 2015, 21:37

Yes, I do have the documents you referenced.... I did see a mix of Roccarainola and Nola as you pointed out. I do have to look closer at the docs because there are some comments about relatives I may not have noticed. I have had researchers in Italy assist me with searches through Italian docs (around the Ceccano area).... Do you know of the best way to look for such a person for this case? I think Nola and Roccarainola are very close.

Thanks for the info! and keep it up :)

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 27 Oct 2015, 22:46

The only other info I located were census and death records from PA under the surnames DeQuay/DiQuay. Both Roccarainola and Nola records for 1809-1865 are available on microfilm for rental, but I'm not sure how helpful these would be since they do not include Aniello's birth act since he was born after 1865. You could write away and request a copy of his atto di nascita (act of birth) which would give details on his parents' names. I suspect that you are correct that the Diotiguida surname was given to a foundling; that could have been Aniello or his father Domenico listed on his 1940 death certificate. It's impossible to tell without documentation but I'm speculating that it was his father. This could be verified by locating a copy of his father's birth record or his marriage record.

Biff

Lettieri

Postby Lettieri » 14 Nov 2015, 10:56

[quote="Biff83"]1914 ship manifest for Aniello. Line 11. More relatives referenced on this manifest.
Nearest relative in Italy Aniello Lettieri (who is the father of line 12) Brasilino? Lettieri.

My greatgrandfather's name was Aniello Lettieri who had a son Brasilino. Aniello migrated to Brasil (Sao Paulo) in the late 1800s. He had three sons and three daughters. He returned to Italy after WWI I presume. All his three sons died, one in a war fought by Italy (??), one died of polio, one was shot dead in Brasil. The three girls were married in Italy and lived there. I am interested in knowing more about Aniello Lettieri's ancestors and what happened in Brasil especially to the sons.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”