Why didn't this couple marry?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carubia
Master
Master

Why didn't this couple marry?

Postby carubia » 16 Nov 2015, 18:52

I don't really expect anyone to have an answer to this question, but I'm curious to see if anyone has a different hypothesis. My GGF Girolamo Carubia was engaged to Donna Maria Rosa Crispi in 1845. Here is the 2nd marriage bann:

http://postimg.org/image/o3ipxdtq5/

However, there was no Atto della Solenne Promessa (or church marriage record), and a couple of months later they married other people, her to a someone of the middle class (borgese).

I figure that the reason why they didn't marry was the difference in their social statuses. Girolamo was only a miller, while Maria Rose was from one of the most prominent and wealthy families in Ribera (her uncle was mayor, her 1st cousin was prime minister). Neither of them was underage or already married and they are not cousins, so I see no reason why they couldn't have legally married. Does anyone think there may have been a different explanation?

How did they even manage to get engaged in the 1st place?

TerraLavoro
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Why didn't this couple marry?

Postby TerraLavoro » 16 Nov 2015, 20:21

Could it be that there was some prior informal promise between the families that they did eventually marry into that prevented the first marriage....i.e. an objection that was presented as a result of the publication of the banns?

In the civil marriage record of one of my 3rd GGPs, an objecting party contacted the justice of the peace, and brought a lawsuit in court (in Naples, 1816).

The court ruled against the petitioner (who was woman), and issued an order allowing the marriage to proceed......all of which was described in the "atto di matrimonio".

Both parties to this marriage were from landowner families who were prominent in their respective comuni. Maybe a possibility to consider?
TerraLavoro

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 17 Nov 2015, 00:48

There's nothing like that mentioned in my GGF's actual atto della solenne promessa. I haven't seen the same document for Maria Rosa Crispi and her husband, but their banns didn't reveal any such clue.

Napoli had civil records in 1816? Including an atto di matrimonio?

TerraLavoro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TerraLavoro » 17 Nov 2015, 03:56

The marriage record is from the town of Barano d'Ischia, (provincia di Napoli) which has civil records that begin in 1809.... and indeed it is an "Atto di Matrimonio".

Barano is where my 3rd GGM was born, the 3rd GGF was born in the nearby town of Forio.

I wonder if the record of the court's decision has been preserved? Does anyone know if those records are possibly available?
TerraLavoro

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 20 Nov 2015, 21:38

I don't believe they not married for social status reason; because when was a gap abt social statutes, well no marriage banns, nothing... each initial approach... It would have been struck down.... but if they were in love... the only option it was to escape together... the classic "fuitina" (= elopement), and to make just a secret religious wedding...
but, because the marriage banns was made, so no problems with parents...

but they no married, and the explanations can be:
-the bride had a previous love story and the groom did not know
- the groom had a child from a woman, and did not mention it
-the bride or the groom had some illness or physical defect that had not been mentioned or some vice that has not been declared
-the bride or the groom did not want to keep the agreements about the dowry

to my knowdlege, the last option is the more common..

please to think that a different social status, when the bride was a rich person, and the groom no... well in this case, the options was:
- the bride could be so much ugly and the her father in order to marry promised dowry good and then repented ... and the groom broken the marriage promise, obviously...

-the same, abt good dowry, if the bride was "scaduta" = no virgin, or no serious person in the past... So the her father in order to marry promised dowry good and then repented ... obviously the groom broken also...

I believe that abt your ancestor something abt dowry Agreement happened, and the wedding don't was performed...
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

carubia
Master
Master

Postby carubia » 21 Nov 2015, 07:59

Thanks for the response, Suanj. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. Since both of them married soon afterward, to people from reasonably good families, it seems unlikely that either had some kind of defect that would make them unappealing as a prospective spouse. I have seen copies of dowry contacts from Ribera and Sambuca (even from the 17th century), so I might be able to obtain one if it exists, but if they never actually got married I suppose there wouldn't have been any dowry contract.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 21 Nov 2015, 15:36

yes no dowry contract because they no married...
However I believe that the problem was the bride dowry...
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”