Surnames: Cenatiempo, Barbato (and possibly Trotta)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
SSpeaks05

Surnames: Cenatiempo, Barbato (and possibly Trotta)

Post by SSpeaks05 »

Hi folks. My name is Steve Speaks, and I am researching my Cenatiempo/Barbato and possibly Trotta family line. This is the first Italian genealogy site I have been able to find online that looks pretty good. I have been trying to find the parents of my great grandfather and grandmother (I have a brief info about them below). I live in Texas, in the United States, which is making it a little difficult to find any information. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My email address is texas_rocker@yahoo.com.

The people I am stuck on, or at least I can't seem to find their parents, are:
Francesco Cenatiempo - b. 1876 d. Unknown and his wife Rosina (Nee Barbato) Cenatiempo- b. 23-Jun-1885 d. Nov-1980. Both immigrated to the United States from Barano, D'Ischia, Francesco arriving July 06, 1905, on the SS Sicilia, and Rosina a couple years later. They settled in St. Louis, Missouri. It is believed that Rosina's mother was Marie Antoinette Trotta, but I haven't been able to find any documentation, other than an old picture given to me by a cousin. Francesco had two brothers that also immigrated to the US, Benedetto Cenatiempo, b. 1886, arriving Feb 26, 1904 on the SS Sicilian Prince and Michele Arcangelo Cenatiempo, b. 1888, arriving a couple years after Francesco. I would love to hear from anyone that has any information or suggestions.

Steve texas_rocker@yahoo.com
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surnames: Cenatiempo, Barbato (and possibly Trotta)

Post by suanj »

SSpeaks05 wrote:Hi folks. My name is Steve Speaks, and I am researching my Cenatiempo/Barbato and possibly Trotta family line. This is the first Italian genealogy site I have been able to find online that looks pretty good. I have been trying to find the parents of my great grandfather and grandmother (I have a brief info about them below). I live in Texas, in the United States, which is making it a little difficult to find any information. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My email address is texas_rocker@yahoo.com.

The people I am stuck on, or at least I can't seem to find their parents, are:
Francesco Cenatiempo - b. 1876 d. Unknown and his wife Rosina (Nee Barbato) Cenatiempo- b. 23-Jun-1885 d. Nov-1980. Both immigrated to the United States from Barano, D'Ischia, Francesco arriving July 06, 1905, on the SS Sicilia, and Rosina a couple years later. They settled in St. Louis, Missouri. It is believed that Rosina's mother was Marie Antoinette Trotta, but I haven't been able to find any documentation, other than an old picture given to me by a cousin. Francesco had two brothers that also immigrated to the US, Benedetto Cenatiempo, b. 1886, arriving Feb 26, 1904 on the SS Sicilian Prince and Michele Arcangelo Cenatiempo, b. 1888, arriving a couple years after Francesco. I would love to hear from anyone that has any information or suggestions.

Steve texas_rocker@yahoo.com

Hi Steve, also Michele Cenatiempo came in 1907 joining Frank Cenatiempo brother in St Louis, Missouri.. http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 1910100163 ; your ancestor Francesco, also was in USA from 1902 to 1905... for to decosver some info, you can write in Barano D'Ischia common and to ask the birth certificate .. this is the email of Major: sindaco @ comunebarano.it
or:
Ufficio Anagrafe
Via Corrado Buono, 1
80070 Barano D'ischia (NA)
Italy
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Town info...
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/063/007/index.html

Just to clarify... Did the parents immigrate as well? It doesn't sound like they did...

I think it would help if we found out what the death date for Francesco was.

Unfotunately the Family History Library does not have filmed documents of Barano d'Ischia. :? You would probably have to write to the "Comune".

Did Rosina have any siblings?

mfjp
SSpeaks05

Post by SSpeaks05 »

Hey Ya'll,
Thanks for the quick replies :-). Unfortunately, the best info on Francesco's death I can get so far is it was in the late 1940's to early 1950's. His parents did not come with him. They settled in St. Louis and he worked as a lamp lighter.
The information I have on Rosina's siblings is not documeted. It was told to my cousin the following:
Marie Antoinette Trotta married ? Barbato. They have 5 Children: Ann, Rosina, Salvadore, another boy who died as a teen on the ship coming to the U.S., and a infant that died of starvation because Marie Antoinette died during childbirth at age 37. I do not have the birth or death years for Marie A.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Looks like Rosina's family had some misfortunes. If the person had died on the ship, there could be some documention made on a manifest. Dr. Steve Morse's ship records site is down due to Hurricane Rita... something to look into...
----------------------------------

Have you considered writing for a copy of Roses' “Social Security Applicationâ€Â
SSpeaks05

Post by SSpeaks05 »

I do have a request letter already printed up for the SSN request, I was just try to cut some corners I guess. I actually have about 8 application requests between both sides of the family ready to go, I'm just trying to penny pinch right now because my painting business took a little dip that last two months.

I am going to give my cousin another call this afternoon. Last time we talked she was going to try and if she had any more hidden sources on Frank and his two brothers. Hopefully she found some goodies.

I am in the San Antonio area, a quick trip to the coast, but far enough that no hurricane well get this far in. We are usually the staging point for emergency supplies to go to the coast because of how we are positioned in the state.

Thank you for the help!! I can't imagine how it took me so long to find "ItalianGenealogy.com". I do know how to navigate the web, but I feel so blonde because I must have overlooked this one. I was struck with the genealogy disease at the begining of the year, and it's excellent. Alot of fun. Although a little embarrassing when a friend tells you they threw out a box of old books and all of a sudden, my brain tingles, and I scolded her for not leafing through them before she got rid of them, not to mention the day I was walking around a mini graveyard behind my house documenting info to post at USGenWeb's Texas site, I'm sure someone thought I belonged in a padded room.

Thank you again! OH, and what is that Dr. Morse's website? I haven't come across that before.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

not to mention the day I was walking around a mini graveyard behind my house documenting info to post at USGenWeb's Texas site, I'm sure someone thought I belonged in a padded room.
You kidding me??? LUCKILY for me... that "one clue" that busted down brick a wall, came from a website created by a Church volunteer. She collected names found in a graveyard next to the Church.
OH, and what is that Dr. Morse's website? I haven't come across that before.
http://www.stevemorse.org/

This website which has one of the best search engines around. Here, you have more options when looking for manifest - options that www.ellisisland.org doesn't provide... There's tons of other info than can be found within this site. Dr. Steve Morse and his team are amazing. I also use ellisisland.org when the other server is down. Another good site is http://www.castlegarden.org/ (a data only site)..

I've located a 1920 and 1930 census. Have you seen the actual copy? It can be linked here later.

1930 Census info
Name: Frank Cenatiempo Age: 54 Estimated birth year: abt 1876 Birthplace:Italy Relation to head-of-house: Head Spouse's Name: Rose Cenatiempo Race: White Home in 1930: St Louis, St Louis (Independent City), Missouri Year of Immigration: 1902, Year of Immigration for Rose 1905 Enumeration district 153

1920 Census info
Name: Frank Lenatiemps [Frank Cenatiempo ] Age: 44 years 
Estimated birth year: abt 1876 Birthplace: Italy Race: White Home in 1920: St Louis Ward 24, St Louis (Independent City), Missouri Home owned: Own Sex: Male Marital status: Married Relation to Head of House: Head Year of immigration: 1902 Mother's Birth Place: Italy Father's Birth Place: Italy Image: 308, Year of immigration for Rose 1905 Enumeration district 470

mfjp
SSpeaks05

Post by SSpeaks05 »

I do have a copy of those two census records. In fact, my first jumping off point was at HeritageQuest, until I found out it was only a secondary source, but they got me a long way in a short time. I have, well, several save on disc in PDF format. I know the images on Ancestry are, cleaner looking(?) I guess you could say, but they just bug me sometimes when I see that $200 rate somewhere. I know they are probably most packed with information, but I think that is just taking advantage.

I love researching and transcribing stuff, not just because it might help soemone out, but just seeing and reading the history is cool. I wish I would have known how much fun it is, maybe I could have gone the historian direction, rather than business management. And I'll tell you what, this graveyard is no where near in plain site. Someone would have to drive all the way back hear to the back on the neighborhood, then go down a alley/dirt road for about a mile, through a wooded area, until they reach the steep drop off, and then look to their left. I thought I was a private site, but later learned people just stopped using it because it is a pain to get to once the neighborhood was built.

O.K., O.K., I'll be honest, it also helps me delay the part of my tree I fear, surname - Johnson. I love big puzzles and all, but did/does there really have to be that many of them?? lol

ss
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Were you able to locate the 1910 census?
I love researching and transcribing stuff, not just because it might help soemone out, but just seeing and reading the history is cool.
Well... when you're finished transcribing the cemetery tombstones, you might consider creating a map so one might even find it... sounds like an interesting place to be. I'm sure someone will appreciate your efforts.

mfjp
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The Missouri state archives has many online databases available, and it is free to search. Copies of records found cost one dollar.
http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/resources.asp

Also a link to the Missouri library which also has available databases to search.
http://www.slpl.lib.mo.us/libsrc/obit.htm

wldspirit
nisha

Post by nisha »

Hi.
Im in Australia, my Uncles surname is Barbato. His mother is still alive but unfortunately his father has passed away. Im not too sure of what her name is, but I'll be sure to find out for you incase its someone that you are chasing

Tanya
cenatiempo

Post by cenatiempo »

Somehow I think we might be distant related through the Cenatiempo connection in St. Louis. I have to look into it and get back to you. I'm looking for any information on a male Cenatiempo and photo links from the 1900-1970 range to match a picture.
stlhsv

Post by stlhsv »

I am Rosina Cenatiempo's first great grand child. My mother Carol, was her first grandchild. Her father was Carlo. I can tell you a lot about the Cenatiempos in the St. Louis area and I have along with several other relatives been to Ischia.

Anne Allen
MikeCen

Post by MikeCen »

Anne, Carlo was my dad's brother. My dad was Bennie. I followed your uncle Johnny around like a little puppy when i was a small child. I have spent many good times in Carlo's basement piddling with his camera stuff and just listening to him. I also serviced my car, and my dad's cars, in Carlo's garage. Many times. He and I also worked on Uncle Eugene's cars from time to time. Eugene would drive us crazy.

I remember like yesterday when Johnny died, and when Carlo and Lorraine divorced. Both tore up our family because we loved them so much.

Carlo came to my dad's funeral and comforted me when I really needed a lift. I will never forget his kindness to me and my young wife and 6 month old baby during that very difficult time. Carlo was a great guy. Really. I want you to know that. We named our youngest child after him, Carla. And, she shares many of his good traits (and some not so good, too.)

Steve Speaks is Joe's grandchild. His mother is Rosie, who is most like our grandmother, Rosina. Joe was the oldest child or Franko and Rosina. I believe Margaret was next, then Carlo and so on. Franko was a tough old bird. He made wine and lit the street lamps in Forrest Park. He did not try to learn much English, and he never read English or Italian. And he was cranky. Kicked my ass too. He died in the mid-50's and is buried in St. Louis.

Rosina had no enemies and prayed every day for her family, especially her grandchildren. She learned to read English from a Catholc prayer book. She would pray the rosary with a rosary in each hand. She was a good business woman and worked as long as she could. She RAN the family, too. She made sure all of the relatives in the old country were ok and made her children send money to the old country every month. She would call you if you missed a month. My dad was assigned Aunt Refuge in Algeria. Rosina was a perfect example of how we should live our lives. And she was funny and loved to play little jokes on people. She could also con you really well when she wanted something.

I hope to meet you sometime. Mike Cenatiempo, Houston
NinaG

Post by NinaG »

here's a link to information that is being added periodically. I have a TON of info on the Cenatiempos (my family) immigration and living in St. Louis. I was born and raised there. My grandmother is Margaret Cenatiempo. Her father was Ben Cenatiempo. I love the story that Mike just shared. I will use these stories in my blog if you don't mind. Looking for more stories to add. I mostly have documentations, however would love to be able to add stories of the past by remembrance. I have more info than I have time to share. Thanks to Steve Speaks info as well, I have built a file of pictures and many many documents. In need of more pictures of any old family members that have passed. But I am in the process of putting EVERYTHING I have into this Cenatiempo blog for all to share! And as of just last week found new additions.
Here's the link

http://lacenatiempos.blogspot.com/