Francesco Gulfo - WWII Italian Army Soldier

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Francesco Gulfo - WWII Italian Army Soldier

Post by Liberati »

I have been researching a distant relative of mine, Francesco Gulfo (b. 30 May 1919 in Colobraro) who is listed on the soldier's memorial in Bari. It appears that he died on 29 August 1945 in Germany's Soviet-occupied sector. I believe that he is buried in Prenzlau but want to double-check this. My educated guess is that he was among the Italian soldiers who were shipped to labor camps in Germany after refusing to serve in Nazi-controlled military units (after Mussolini was deposed in 1943). My understanding is that some Italian internees in the Soviet sector were not sent home until some time after the war. Anyways, I would love to be able to find more information about his military service as well as the history of Italian internees in Nazi Germany. Any leads would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Interested in the surnames Liberati, Altiero, and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Francesco Gulfo - WWII Italian Army Soldier

Post by Liberati »

Thanks! Yes - Francesco is listed on this database as well. Is this for another memorial of some sort? It indicates that he died in an unknown location. That, combined with his date of death (August 1945) reinforces to me the notion that he died in Soviet-occupied Germany. I've read that the Soviets did not release all Italian POWS until months (or even years) after the war in certain cases.
Interested in the surnames Liberati, Altiero, and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.