re:baptism in messina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

re:baptism in messina

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 18 Dec 2015, 22:05

my paternal grandmother,maria costante(costante a surname given to foundlings or illegitimate children it appears) was born in barcellona pg messina in 1883. ignoti genitori. her wetnurse was awarded custody of her care and feeding and became her virtual mother. this woman,maria bonarrigo(b.gualtieri sicamino di soccorso in 1847) appears to be the common law wife of francesco landino(b.palermo in 1851)as i've never been able to find a marriage record for them in either barcellona pg or the comunes of their births as well as several comunes in the surrounding areas ca.1867-1872.they had 3 natural children that i'm aware of,all born in barcellona pg. salvatore in 1872(parents noted as married)rosalia in 1877(parents noted as unmarried)and mattia in 1880(father noted as whereabouts unknown).my grandmother was possibly also born of this union,but if so why would she have been singled out as ignoti genitori if the others weren't? my grandmother was baptized at s.sebastiano in barcellona and once again listed as di ignoti.i actually wrote to this parish in the possibility that francesco and maria may have married in a religious ceremony but not a civil one,hence the legitimacy issue and lack of civil marriage record found. but they never respond after repeated requests for information.godparents were named,but i found these same godparents in several other births and baptisms in this time period.probably stand ins.this line is my major genealogical stumbling block in my 20 years of its a very common but frustrating dead end i'm sure others have run into the same problem. if so let me know how you dealt with it. thanks

Return to “Italian Genealogy”