Arberesh Heritage on Vital Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Arberesh Heritage on Vital Records

Postby Mezzo8 » 22 Dec 2015, 03:56

I am looking into my Italian genealogy which originates from the small town of Mezzojuso, Sicily. I came across the information that Mezzojuso and towns in the area have strong Arberesh communities, histories, and ties. A lot of postings have Arberesh surname lists.

I have a lot of vital records from the last couple of years of researching including birth records, marriage records, and death records. I was wondering if there is way to determine from these vital records whether someone was Arbereshe. Not just implied geographically.

For example some of the marriage records, cite Latina tradition. Some (not in my family) cite Greco tradition. Some do not cite either tradition. What about the birth and death records?

Can someone point me in the right direction, or guide me with the vital records, since I know minimal Italian?

Thank you!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”