Ressa

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mressa

Ressa

Post by mressa »

I have seen some conversation regarding this surname. My maiden name is Ressa. My family is from New York. I think my great grandfather's name was Ludovico Ressa. He came to New York in the turn of the century. My family has lived in the NYC area for many years. His son was Frank (my grandfather) who had three sons, Ludwig (my father) James and Frank Jr. THe later is the only one living. We are a small family and I do not know much of anyone who might be in Italy. I heard they were from Naples. I do not know if my great grandfather Ludovico had any brothers or sisters who might have also come here.

My grandfather Frank had only two sisters, Mary and Lily. They are both gone now. Lily is the only one who had one child who mI believe has also passed on. My uncles all had children and live on Long Island now.
Michele
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Ressa

Post by brujaojos »

mressa wrote:I have seen some conversation regarding this surname. My maiden name is Ressa. My family is from New York. I think my great grandfather's name was Ludovico Ressa. He came to New York in the turn of the century. My family has lived in the NYC area for many years. His son was Frank (my grandfather) who had three sons, Ludwig (my father) James and Frank Jr. THe later is the only one living. We are a small family and I do not know much of anyone who might be in Italy. I heard they were from Naples. I do not know if my great grandfather Ludovico had any brothers or sisters who might have also come here.

My grandfather Frank had only two sisters, Mary and Lily. They are both gone now. Lily is the only one who had one child who mI believe has also passed on. My uncles all had children and live on Long Island now.
Michele
Hi Michele,

Here is the 1910 Census for Ludovico. I know someone on here will post these for me. (thank you :) )

Name: Ludovico Ressa
Age in 1910: 46
Estimated birth year: abt 1864
Home in 1910: 5-Wd Brooklyn, Kings, New York
Image Source: Year: 1910; Census Place: 5-Wd Brooklyn, Kings, New York; Series: T624; Roll: 956; Page: 72B; Enumeration District: 44; Part: 1; Line: 26.

If the Ludovico is yours above, he is mentioned as a boarder on the census. There is a good chance this could be him coming into the USA with his daughter Ludovica (maybe Lily is short for Ludovica).

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0354%2ETIF

I also found this in the Marriage Index of NYC.

Name - Marriage date - County - Certificate Number - Soundex
Ressa Francesco - May 6 1926 - Manhattan - 14918 - R200

I'm not sure if this is your family especially without dates, but least they could be come clues.

Hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

brujaojos wrote:
mressa wrote:I have seen some conversation regarding this surname. My maiden name is Ressa. My family is from New York. I think my great grandfather's name was Ludovico Ressa. He came to New York in the turn of the century. My family has lived in the NYC area for many years. His son was Frank (my grandfather) who had three sons, Ludwig (my father) James and Frank Jr. THe later is the only one living. We are a small family and I do not know much of anyone who might be in Italy. I heard they were from Naples. I do not know if my great grandfather Ludovico had any brothers or sisters who might have also come here.

Michele
Hi Michele,

Here is the 1910 Census for Ludovico. I know someone on here will post these for me. (thank you :) )

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/3707/ludress4fw.jpg
Name: Ludovico Ressa
Age in 1910: 46
Estimated birth year: abt 1864
Home in 1910: 5-Wd Brooklyn, Kings, New York
Image Source: Year: 1910; Census Place: 5-Wd Brooklyn, Kings, New York; Series: T624; Roll: 956; Page: 72B; Enumeration District: 44; Part: 1; Line: 26.

If the Ludovico is yours above, he is mentioned as a boarder on the census. There is a good chance this could be him coming into the USA with his daughter Ludovica (maybe Lily is short for Ludovica).

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0354%2ETIF

I also found this in the Marriage Index of NYC.

Name - Marriage date - County - Certificate Number - Soundex
Ressa Francesco - May 6 1926 - Manhattan - 14918 - R200

I'm not sure if this is your family especially without dates, but least they could be come clues.

Hope this helps,
Trish
See link above for census record Trish found for you

Also, here is a manifest of interest... though it doesn't say much... :?

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2767011199&
First Name: Ludovico Last Name: Ressa
Ethnicity: Italian Last Place of Residence: Date of Arrival: Jun 22, 1902
Age at Arrival:  62y  (should be 42y)  
Ship of Travel: Citta di Torino
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0017

mfjp :P
mressa

Post by mressa »

Thanks Trish,

I actually have this. I did extensive research on Ancestry.com over six months ago on the "Ressa's". I am almost positive that Ludovico is my great grandfather. This is probably him. They lived in Brooklyn then Manhattan then Brooklyn again, I believe. Interesting about the daughter being on that census. I did not catch that. I did not think she had been born then. Thanks.
Michele