Need help getting started: Sulmona ~ Gizzi/Izzo Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
SteveJ

Need help getting started: Sulmona ~ Gizzi/Izzo Family

Postby SteveJ » 09 Jan 2016, 18:07

Hello and thank you for letting me join this discussion board.

My grandfather was known as “Christopher” in the states but I believe he had an Italian version of that name [he was known as “Cresentio (sp?) Izzo” on one document]. My grandfather was born circa 1885 and came to this country in 1906.

Through my Grandfather’s immigration and marriage records, I know that his father (my great grandfather) was named Dominico Gizzi (which all makes sense, I think, since my dad - the 2nd oldest son was named Dominic while his older brother was Christopher). The family was from Sulmona. My Great Grandfather may have been married to a woman back in Italy named "Phelino" or "Pholenia" (the document that I get this from is nearly illegible but as a clue one of my Dad's older sisters was named Philomena).

One final possible clue: my grandfather's immigration records state that he was meeting a "Panfilo Cianchetta" in the States. (in turn, I have several records on Panfilo for this side of the Atlantic).

This is the only link that I have to my Italian roots. I would like to trace my genealogy to Italy. How would I locate records for “Christopher”, “Dominico”, etc in Sulmona? I don't speak any Italian so that is a drawback for sure.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Steve

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Need help getting started: Sulmona ~ Gizzi/Izzo Family

Postby Biff83 » 09 Jan 2016, 18:54

Is this your grandfather?

Criscenzio (Crescenzo) Gizzi 1919 Petition for Naturalization. DOB 2 Nov 1886 at Sulmona. Wife Emma, children Emma, Frank, Robert, Criscenzio. Living in Beacon, Dutchess County, NY.

Biff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 09 Jan 2016, 19:25

Marriage record of Chiscenzeo Or Criscenzeo Gizzi and Emma May Lewis

Name Chiscenzeo Or Criscenzeo Gizzi
Event Type Marriage
Event Date 16 Jul 1918
Event Place , New York, United States
Age 31
Birth Year (Estimated) 1887
Father's Name Dominco Gizzi
Mother's Name Phelino Pholenia
Spouse's Name Emma May Lewis
Spouse's Age 17
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated) 1901
Spouse's Father's Name Alfred Lewis
Spouse's Mother's Name Laura Mitchell

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1618491

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

SteveJ

Postby SteveJ » 09 Jan 2016, 19:33

Yes. That's him. (btw, the 1st 3 children were from a prior marriage. Only "Chris" is a full brother to my dad. I've read up on the traditional Italian child naming standards and apparently they were only adhered to somewhat with my Grandfaither's 2nd marriage).

I've actually found a number of documents on my grandfather in the U.S...Census records, Beacon Directory Records, marriage cert, military papers, citizenship papers, ship manifests and on and on.

But I don't know how to trace things to Italy. I've used LDS microfilm for other European countries applicable to my family. Are there any microfilm numbers for this area of Italy? I've tried to search but came up empty.

Thanks for responding.

Best,

Steve

SteveJ

Postby SteveJ » 09 Jan 2016, 19:35

Marty, that record in a lot of ways is a hoot!! They spelled my granddad's name - if memory serves - 7 different ways! Somebody couldn't type!!

Steve

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 09 Jan 2016, 20:24

There are early records online 1865-1810 under the town Solmona
PG LINKS
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... mona/Nati/
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... o/Solmona/

I would send this email to get the parents information with a photo id

email:statocivileanagrafe@comune.sulmona.aq.it
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Sulmona
Via Mazara 21
67039 Sulmona (AQ)
Italy

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di Crescenzo Gizzi

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Sulmona. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : Crescenzo Gizzi
Nome e cognome del padre: Domenico Gizzi
Luogo di nascita: Sulmona
Data di nascita: 1886
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

SteveJ

Postby SteveJ » 10 Jan 2016, 13:36

Can't thank you enough for that information. It is just the kind of thing that I have been looking for.

I a bit confused on only one thing. Why do they need a photo id? What kind? (As you can imagine, I'm very hesitant over an unsecured email with all of the identity theft going on).

Best,
Steve

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 10 Jan 2016, 15:01

They want to know who there giving a civil document to

Marty

Marty

SteveJ

Postby SteveJ » 10 Jan 2016, 15:30

OK. Thanks again!

SteveJ

Postby SteveJ » 22 Feb 2016, 00:23

Bumping this thread to ask help with a translation. Is this possibly the birth record of Panfilo Cianchetta?

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 6.jpg.html

Panfilo Cianchetta was listed on my Grandfather Crescenzio Gizzi's 1906 Ellis Island papers. Grandfather Gizzi final destination was "Uncle Panfilo Cianchetta in Chelsea, NY". Chelsea is a hamlet of the Town of Wappinger
in Dutchess County, New York per Wikipedia. This is very near where my Grandfather lived and where, in fact, my Dad was born.

I've been able to determine that Panfilo himself came to this country in 1904 (also from Sulmona) and was naturalized in 1914. "Cianchetta" seems to be the correct spelling (at least, it's typed that way in the Poughkeepsie, NY Directory from the 1915 to 1918...Poughkeepsie being in the same general area).

Some of the letters on the document in the link look scribbled but I think that I make out Mario Cianchetta as the father...but, then again, I could be way off ...and might even be looking in the wrong place. :?

Any help on this one appreciated!!!!

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 22 Feb 2016, 01:23

On 2 April 1861 at the town hall appeared Francesco Gabriele, 33, a farmer, who stated that a male child was born on 1 Apr 1861 from his wife, Maria Chrichetta, 32, a spinner, who was given the name Panfilo.

Some useful links to help you understand how to extract civil records.
https://familysearch.org/learningcenter ... 22Italy%22

I'd print this out to use as a reference; it will help you tremendously in determining years, months, times, ages, professions, etc.
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... _Word_List

The Panfilo Cianchetta who arrived in 1904 was born about 1878-1879.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

SteveJ

Postby SteveJ » 22 Feb 2016, 02:29

Biff83 wrote:On 2 April 1861 at the town hall appeared Francesco Gabriele, 33, a farmer, who stated that a male child was born on 1 Apr 1861 from his wife, Maria Chrichetta, 32, a spinner, who was given the name Panfilo.

Some useful links to help you understand how to extract civil records.
https://familysearch.org/learningcenter ... 22Italy%22

I'd print this out to use as a reference; it will help you tremendously in determining years, months, times, ages, professions, etc.
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... _Word_List

The Panfilo Cianchetta who arrived in 1904 was born about 1878-1879.

Biff

Thanks. and "argh" ... I should have known when he was born. His naturalization papers give his Date of Birth as August 16 1879.

Last but not least, I am definitely going to digest that Genealogical Word List!!

Steve

Return to “Italian Genealogy”