re:church records in avellino and messina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

re:church records in avellino and messina

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 18 Jan 2016, 01:10

been researching my paternal italian ancestry for 20 years. grandfather from avellino and grandmother from messina. done as much as possible with the civil records (only go back to 1820 in sicily and 1809 in mainland italy).contrary to what others say,i've had virtually no success with parish records in either place. written many letters of inquiry to both the local parishes and to the diocesan archives. lds has virtually no parish records filmed in these areas.in 20 years i've gotten 2 records. the 1803 marriage of my 2nd great grandparents in avellino (luogosano) and the 1883 baptism of my grandmother in messina(barcellona pozzo di gotto). thats it. has anyone out there had any success with diocesan or parish records in these areas? my research has been with the parishes of s.maria maggiore e s.marcellino in luogosano avellino and s.sebastiano in barcellona pozzo di gotto messina. it also appears that the parish records,unlike the civil records,rarely contain mention of the parents,which is essential in continuing the family lines. much more information in the civil records. unfortunately in pursuing family lines before 1820 or 1809 parish records are essential. some researchers won't work outside the civil records for these reasons. another issue is knowing what parish an event took place in. in a small village of 1000 and with only one parish its relatively easy. but in a city where there may be many parishes its very hard to determine the exact parish of interest. unlike the civil records,where only the comune of origin needs to be known, the exact parish where an event occurred needs to be known in order to access the information sought. and trying to narrow that down is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: re:church records in avellino and messina

Postby Italysearcher » 18 Jan 2016, 13:53

Track the street adddress of your ancesotors from their civil records. One you have done this plot them on a may and locate the various parishes. You can get a may of the parishes at http://www.parrocchiemap.it/
Its not precise, but it eliminates all but 2 or 3.
Alternately you may needa local researcher to go tothe parishes and do the search.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Re: re:church records in avellino and messina

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 18 Jan 2016, 15:26

in the case of my paternal grandfather it was easy as his town,luogosano avellino,was population 1000. one parish. in my paternal grandmothers case not so easy. she was baptized at s.sebastiano chiesa madre there,but barcellona pg messina is a large city with many other parishes. not so easy.but as i said there are other issues with parish records. neither the diocesan offices nor the local parishes answer for the most part. i've even sent small donations with no results. on the other hand the civil offices not only keep all the records in one place,but rarely charge for services and have been very helpful. and as i mentioned parish records,which are necessary to go further back with family lines before 1820 or 1809,rarely contain as much information as the civil records. wish others out there had experiences to share regarding these parishes,or had filmed the records,as lds never will.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”