Giancola in US census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Giancola in US census

Post by JohnArmellino »

Karen - This may be off subject, but I believe I may have found your Angelo and Annunziata in the Stato Civile of Campobasso (CB):

Angelo Giancola was born on 11 JAN 1862, and baptized on 12 JAN 1862, in Campobasso (CB), the son of Gaetano Maria Giancola and Nicolina Mastropietro. FHL INTL Film 1386630, NATI 1862 N. d'ordine 13.

Maria Annunziata Comparetti was born about 14 MAR 1865, and baptized on 26 MAR 1865, in Campobasso (CB), parents unknown. FHL INTL Film 1442254, DIVERSI 1865 N. d'ordine 22.

Angelo Giancola and Maria Annunziata Comparetti were married on 03 OCT 1885 in Campobasso (CB). FHL INTL Film 1733313, MATRIMONI 1885 Numero 81.

Nicola Giancola was born on 10 SEP 1886 in Campobasso (CB). FHL INTL Film 1733190, NATI 1886 Numero 444.

Assunta Carmela Giancola was born on 21 NOV 1888 in Campobasso (CB). FHL INTL Film 1733191, NATI 1888 Numero 500.

Note: In her children’s birth records, Maria Annunziata Comparetti’s surname is spelled as “Gambarottaâ€Â
John Armellino
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Wow, what a gift. John, such a well written, documented and explained genealogy. I wish my ancestors had come from Campobasso.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi John,

This is so exciting!! I wish I could see Karen's face (and her Mom's) while she reads your post...

Quite the collection... I could imagine how long it took to put all this together.

Looks like you created a genea file of your entire town?? Well documented.

saluti!
maria

p.s. can you take a look at this 1892 manifest and see if he is travelling with "paesanos" ? (7th name from the top)

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1583/giancola9zz.jpg
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Maria - I see two surnames that might be indigenous to the Campobasso area. #706 seems to be Mercurio; if so, this surname is common to Ferrazzano, a comune then about 2 kilometers from Campobassoâ€â€
John Armellino
ladbrandy

Post by ladbrandy »

Where do I start? Wow! I feel so special getting this attention.
That is amazing! I hope you found Angelo and Annunziata without too much trouble, its amazing how the first names are so different over time.
I would have never been able to translate all that, thank-you. What an interesting story. Cant wait to tell my mom tomorrow.
Thats sad that she was abandoned as a baby, at least she lived a long life in the end.
Wow, that goes way back to the 1700's.
When it says Campobasso, do you mean the town of CB or the province?
The last part with the names of 5th generation, how do they relate?

I ordered records for Frosolone, Campobasso from the LDS library to trace the other Italian side, the Colantuono's and the Meo's, then I ordered Fontanarosa for the Corsino's. Should have that in a few weeks.

Of course I sent off the $20 today to city of Chelsea for the death certs for Angelo and Clara to find out their parents names, oh well, it will be nice to have and a confirmation of your findings.

Of course my fathers side will prove to be much harder, LDS can get records but they were in Hebrew (from Poland and Russia and Jewish), so I will rely on death certificates for them.

Well I am rambling, cant believe all the hard work you have done for me, I am very grateful. If you have any questions about eyeglasses, contact lenses, eyes, let me know, I am an optometrist. You can email me.

Karen
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Congratulations Karen...... :D

John, that is some amazing work......well done!!!!!

Lisa
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

When it says Campobasso, do you mean the town of CB or the province?
Campobasso (CB) refers to the comune di Campobasso in the distretto di Campobasso. Likewise, Casalciprano (CB) refers to the comune di Casalciprano in the distretto di Campobasso. These were the geopolitical divisions in the relevant time period, during the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. At that time, the distretto di Campobasso included some 90-odd comuni. Today, Campobasso (CB) refers to the comune di Campobasso in the provincia di Campobasso.
The last part with the names of 5th generation, how do they relate?
Francesco Mancini and Teresangela Colella were the parents of Vittoria Mancini.
John Armellino
ladbrandy

Post by ladbrandy »

Thank-you so much! How nice it is to tell people I meet where exactly in Italy my relatives are from.

My mom was amazed and she confirmed the story about Nunziata (who she only knew as White Nana because of her hair).

Karen