re:death records research in messina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

re:death records research in messina

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 28 Jan 2016, 20:36

i'm trying to find deaths that may have occured in the comunes of santa lucia del mela,san filippo del mela,gualtieri sicamino,or barcellona pozzo di gotto. not sure in what comune the deaths occured (domenico bonarrigo and wife mattia puleio). the problem is the deaths could have occured anytime between 1852 and 1910.very big time span. without indexes its virtually impossible to cover every year. also several years are missing.the http://www.antenati@beniculturali.it site covers the years up to 1865.some years are missing.some are very hard to read. not all are indexed. the years starting in 1866 are digitized online at the lds site.is anyone out there working in these areas or familiar with them? been at this for 20 years and i'm generally pretty good at finding things,but this is proving very difficult. really no way to narrow down the span or possibilities as to where these death records might be located. and as i mentioned,working without indexes is very difficult and time consuming,not to mention the problems of damaged hard to read pages and missing years. domenico was born in oppido mamertina calabria ca. 1820 but its highly unlikely this couple returned to his birthplace as they married in santa lucia in 1845 and their children were all born,it appears,in gualtieri. mattia was born in san filippo ca.1818. their daughter,maria,was born in gualtieri in 1847 and is found in barcellona by 1872. she and her common law husband,francesco landino,were the adoptive parents of my paternal grandmother,maria,who was born in barcellona in 1883.its possible they could have died in any of these comunes. the last child born to them i could find was in 1852 in gualtieri. and allowing for a long life, where they could have lived into their 80s or longer, my search covers up to 1910.any suggestions or help would be most appreciated.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”