more info about the quaglieni family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rita

more info about the quaglieni family

Post by rita »

I've got an email from donald sebastian quaglieni. (north carolina USA) His grandfather was tony sebastian quaglieni and gg-grandfather Antonio born around 1850 . It could be a relative, but it dos not match with the info given to me... please help!

Rita Quaglieni
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: more info about the quaglieni family

Post by VaDeb »

What kind of help do you want? Usually there are many family's with the same last name that are not related. Does Donald's family come from the same village as your family?
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

What kind of help do you want? Usually there are many family's with the same last name that are not related. Does Donald's family come from the same village as your family?
Sebastian-quaglieni

Post by Sebastian-quaglieni »

Hi; I'm Donald Sebastian-Quaglieni on my passport, but just use Donald Sebastian. I don't know if my Great Grandfarther is Anthony. Trying to find my Grandfather Death Certificate from NYC, NY USA about 1940. My Grandmother raised my cousin Mary Logreen now in Denver CO. USA. who is doing the reasearch, she is 74 years old. My Grandmother was remarried around 1920 and lost track of Tony Sebastian my Grandfarther
rita

Post by rita »

Hello Donald,

Great to see you here! My husband send you an email with the question: what is the name of your father and when was he born etc. The nam of your mother an birthdate etc. probably also would be a help .To look further in the Quaglieni family (and perhaps your family) I think this is essential to can tell you more. Did you looked at all the previous mail on this forum? I think you did, but did you also see there is a Sebastiano Quaglieni? I reallly hope we can work this out for you but also for myself as I'm into the genealogy of the family Quaglieni. It's a lot of research but I love to do it. Hope you send a reply!

Regards,
Rita Quaglieni
rita

Post by rita »

Hello Debbie,

As you can see in my former mail I don't know so much on this. I hope to hear from more from Donald Sebastian.

Regards,
Rita
rita

Post by rita »

Debbie,
What I do know that Antonio Quaglieni (1815) had 10 children. So...It might be that the name Quaglieni is one large family.
Rita
Sebastian-quaglieni

Hi Rita & Everybody interested; I didn't get your husbands email yet. Would you reather me reply to you, or on this site? A listing of questions ask is below.

what is the name of your father and when was he born etc.

Thomas Anthony Sebastian-Quaglieni, born Brooklyn NY, January 12, 1904
Anothony (Tony) Sebastian-Quaglieni is his father, born in Italy I think? he's the missing link

The name of your mother an birthdate etc. probably also would be a help.
Elsa Kreig, meet my father in New Jersey USA born Nov. 21, 1911

To look further in the Quaglieni family (and perhaps your family) I think this is essential to can tell you more. Did you looked at all the previous mail on this forum?yes

I think you did, but did you also see there is a Sebastiano Quaglieni? Yes

I reallly hope we can work this out for you but also for myself as I'm into the genealogy of the family Quaglieni. It's a lot of research but I love to do it. Hope you send a reply! OK

My cousin Mary tells me my Grandmother who died about 30 years ago told her. My Grandfather Tony Sebastian had two sister who sang in a opera. Tony came to NYC from Italy and told the Circus related storys to her. Mary visited the Barnam & Baileys Circus Headquarters in Sarasoader Florida and found articals about the Quiglieni Circus acts. She plans on going to NYC in a few weeks to research the New York Public Library, and try to find Tony grave. I'm a late comer to this Quagieni research. I have a brother Marty who has eight grow children, many of them use the name Quagieni.

Yours Truly Don Sebastian
rita

Post by rita »

Hello Don,

We can read messages here, or if you prefer in personal email. I Think that here are always people who see the messages and can fill in the gaps...
My age by the way is 45.
My father was Edoardo Johannes Bruno Quaglieni born in Amsterdam the Netherlands in 1931
Grandfather : Bruno Maria Quaglieni born in Brescia (Italy) in 1900.
Ggrandfather: Edoardo Quaglieni born in London in 1857 he had a brother Antonio born 02-08-1862 in London! Could be your missing link??
Antonio's father was (perhaps? Sebastiano Quaglieni, born 14-2-1838.
That could explane the double name!?

I'm also a beginner and just because we went this summer to Italy and visitied the Ufficio Anagrafe in Brescia I fund out more.
I hope indeed we can help each other and who knows.. the Quaglieni's are one big family. Hope to hear from you soon, either here or on our home email.

Warm regards,
Rita
rita

Post by rita »

Hello Donald,

Is every thing all right? Was it your missing link? Or are you trying to find out more in another direction...
Let me know please!

Regards,
Rita
GaryLedger

Post by GaryLedger »

Hi Rita and Donald

I've recently been researching the Quaglieni family. My great great uncle was Luigi (born 1848 Venice). I have found the following information on his brother Sebastiano born 1838. It seems they had another name (possibly a stage name of some sort) of Sebastian. Part of my family adopted another name in London too. It seems to fit with the information you have and I hope it helps in tracing the line as there are plenty of dates even though there’s no mention of Anthony. However, Sebastiano is busy in America in 1861 as shown below but is also on the 1861 census in Devon. But there's no mention of him in England after this and he isn't naturalised with other family members in 1866 so I assume it's the same person. The census was taken on 7 April 1861 and circus shows ran throughout the summer season so he had time to return to New York, the journey then at its extreme taking no more than 3 months but it's more likely 2.

QUAGLIENI, SEBASTIAN [billed as Signor Sebastion]. 1838 -January 4, 1882) Equestrian. Father of Louis and Romeo Sebastian. Performed in America for about 25 years and was considered excellent in somersault and carrying acts and as a bareback rider. It was said he rode with ease and grace and his posturing was daring. One of his feats was hanging onto a horse with one knee. Joe Pentland’s, 1856; Cooke’s Royal Amphitheatre, Niblo’s Garden, NYC (James M. Nixon, proprietor), 1860; First National Union Circus (combination of Nixon’s Royal Circus and Sloat’s New York Circus), 1861; Madigan’s, 1861; S. P. Stickney’s, 1861; John Wilson’s, San Francisco, 1863; J. F. Orrin’s, South America, 1865-66; Chiarini’s, New Orleans, 1866, and Mexico City, 1867; single and double riding act, George F. Bailey & Co., 1868-72, 1874; William T. Aymar’s European and American, 1870; P. T. Barnum’s, winter 1872-73, 1873; bareback and somersault rider, carrying act, four horse courier of St. Petersburg, Montgomery Queen’s, 1876-77; VanAmburgh & Co., winter 1877-78; P. T. Barnum’s, 1880. VanAmburgh & Co., 1881. Had just closed an engagement, Dockrill & Leon, Iron Amphitheatre, Havana, when stricken with yellow fever and died.

SEBASTIAN, JOSEPHINE. Equestrienne, daughter of Signor Quaglieni. Martinho Lowande’s, Cuba, 1880.

SEBASTIAN, LOUIS. Bareback rider. Son of Signor Quaglieni and brother of Romeo Sebastian. English postillion on four Shetland ponies, Montgomery Queen’s, California, 1876-77; carrying act with father, P. T. Barnum’s, 1879.

SEBASTIAN, ROMEO. (d. February 3, 1919) Pad rider. Son of Signor Quaglieni and brother of Louie Sebastian. George F. Bailey & Co., 1868; Batcheller & Doris, 1870; P. T. Barnum’s 1873, 1875-76; Great Southern, 1874; Montgomery Queen’s, 1875; John Wilson’s, San Francisco, 1875; Adam Forepaugh’s, 1876-77; International Circus, Offenbach Garden, Philadelphia, winter 1876-77; (with his boy, Little Joe) Orrin Bros.’, Havana, winter 1877-78; W. W. Cole’s, 1878; Allen’s Great Eastern, 1879; Batcheller & Doris, 1879-80; P. T. Barnum’s, 1879; Orrin Bros.’, Metropolitan Theatre, Havana, winter 1879-80; Batcheller & Doris, 1881; Nathans & Co.’s, 1882; Hengler’s, London, 1886; Circus Busch, Germany, 1888. Returned to America, 1894, after about 12 years in Europe. Used to sit on a chair on the back of a running horse and read a newspaper. Died in Victoria, British Columbia.

http://www.circushistory.org/Olympians/OlympiansS1.htm

Regards
Gary
rita

Post by rita »

Hi Gary.

Thanks for your effort and reply. Great! Tomorrow I look upon my papers and see if it matches to my family. I think it does ! Donald is researching in the US now. Hope to hear from him soon. Is there a chance that Antonio and Eduardo (Edward) Quaglieni ( born 1815 and 1857) can be traced in the circus history? I've put a message on the forum at circushistory. Hope to give you more info soon.

Regards,
Rita
GaryLedger

Post by GaryLedger »

Hi again

Just found this, thought it might be useful. The more info you have to search through the better.

SEBASTIAN, CECILIA [nee Cecilia Berry]. (March 14, 1857-August 21, 1914) Equestrienne. Born in NYC of theatrical and circus parents. Received training as a rider at a very young age. Married circus rider Romeo Sebastian. Later, retired to a farm near Miami, KS, where Sebastian was occupied in training dogs and ponies.

1880 Household:
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Romeo SEBASTIAN Self M Male W 24 NY Circus Rider NY NY
Cecilia SEBASTIAN Wife M Female W 23 NY Keeping House ENG ENG
Cecilia BERRY MotherL W Female W 45 PA PRUSSIA PA
May HENNING SisterL W Female W 33 PA Actress PA PA
Census Place Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey

Gary
Sebastian-quaglieni

Hi Rita; recieved my Grandfarther death certificate today.

My father was Anthony Sebastian-Quagieni, truck driver, NYC
My Grandfarther is Anthony Sebastian-(AKAS) Quaglieni a waiter in NYC born in New Jersey was 59 years old.
His Farther was Anthony S. Quaglieni born in Italy
His Mother was Mary Curran born in USA

Hope to find out more about the Quaglieni family. Donald Sebastian-Quaglieni
rita

Post by rita »

Hi Donald,

Great news! But I have a question. What is the date your grandfather died, do you also have his birth date? It's just to look further in the family tree. Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Rita Quaglieni