Do I Qualify Under 2009 Law?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Iwantcitizenship

Do I Qualify Under 2009 Law?

Postby Iwantcitizenship » 09 Feb 2016, 13:54

Hello, I am trying to play ice hockey in Italy and if I had my citizenship I would be a huge help. Here's my situations:

My great-grandfather was born in Italy and immigrated to the US in 1886. My great-grandmother was born in Italy and immigrated to the US in 1900. I haven't found the marriage certificate, but they had 12 kids together all born in the US between 1904 and 1921. A census shows that my great-grandfather was naturalized in 1912. My grandfather was born in 1917, my father in 1952 and myself in 1990.

I'm wondering if the bloodline can be recovered through my great-grandmother with the 2009 law because she never filed for a waiver of naturalization herself, she received derivative citizenship through my great-grandfather when he became naturalized in 1912. Does this boat hold water?

carubia
Master
Master

Re: Do I Qualify Under 2009 Law?

Postby carubia » 17 Feb 2016, 06:48

I can't think of any 2009 law that would be relevant here, but that doesn't matter. You could file suit in Italian court claiming citizenship through your GGM as a "1948 case." You would need the services of a lawyer, such as Luigi Paiano, who is familiar with these kinds of cases. Look at the Italian Citizenship Message Board for more information: http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.or ... is-f5.html

Return to “Italian Genealogy”