Records from Archivo di Stato di Salerno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
February
Rookie
Rookie

Records from Archivo di Stato di Salerno

Postby February » 02 Mar 2016, 04:20

I've sent for birth records from Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino for Carmine Ferraioli b. 1902 with no results. I also e-mailed the Archivo di Stato di Salerno for his draft records also with no results.

I'd like to send a letter to the Archive. Could someone please give me the address for snail mail.

Would it be better to send two letters - one for birth records and one for draft records? Or since it is the same person, would one letter be better?

Thanks for any help.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Records from Archivo di Stato di Salerno

Postby suanj » 02 Mar 2016, 06:07

Hi,
if you sent a simply request ( by email is ok) in the Salerno Archive of State and no result,
please to think that the archive replying within 30 days,
but if the 30 days already passed and no reply by Archive, please to think that maybe the your request was no complete in some part and it was ignored, because it is necessary to explain why you wish the copy, to attach your ID picture, to provide all your data, to say that you wish pay the service, and that you can pay as the Archive want... (postal money order).
The txt must be in italian Language..
Then, if the request is ok, the Archive will reply abt the document copy, and the payment. When the archive receive the payment, will send to you the copy requested....
good luck,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 02 Mar 2016, 08:17

I've never had problems with Salerno Archives...it seems so weird.
They always replied very politely and sent me what I requested.
Maybe you wrote in English?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 02 Mar 2016, 14:37

Perhaps he wasnt born in Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 02 Mar 2016, 16:02

The requests were made about a year ago - in Italian. I typically have a lull about this time of year and take up things that are unfinished - this being one of them.

It is frustrating to not know what the problem is. From what I've seen, if the request is "bad" for some reason, the records offices just ignore it. There is no response to let the requester know what the problem is.

But I did receive a very prompt reply for a birth record for Carmine Ferraioli (1874) from Sant'Egidio, and you folks vouch for the Archive's responsiveness. So, I think there must be a problem in the request itself. And I think it might be just what Marty suggested - that Carmine Ferraioli (1902) was not born in Sant'Egidio. The family tells it that way, but I think it is reasonable that his mother might have gone to her mother in the neighboring town of Angri to have the baby. Would a request letter giving both possibilities be ignored, do you think?

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 02 Mar 2016, 17:41

What was the father and mothers name?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 02 Mar 2016, 18:23

The father is Carmine Ferraioli and I think the mother's name was Luigia Ruggiero.

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 02 Mar 2016, 18:45

Thank you, Sabino.

The e-mail address I used was as-sa@beniculturali.it

The message read:

Buongiorno,
mi chiamo <your name> e vivo in <your country>.
Vorrei ricevere, preferibilmente via email, il foglio matricolare relativo al mio antenato
Carmine Ferraioli
nato a Sant'Egidio Montalbino nel 1902
Vi prego di farmi sapere se tale documento è disponibile, ed in caso affermativo, i costi e le modalità di pagamento.
Distinti saluti.

I did not receive an answer of any kind. Do you see a problem with any of the above?

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 02 Mar 2016, 19:38

My Italian is very basic and the wonderful people on this forum have been very helpful in providing letters in Italian. I didn't think that there was a problem with the information I had been given - but ruling that out leaves the possibility that Carmine was born elsewhere than Sant'Egidio.

Would a draft record request to ASSA stating that the family information says he was born in Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino, but mentioning a possibility that he might have been born in Angri be reasonable? Would putting a request for birth records in the same e-mail be a bad idea?

Thank you again for your help.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 02 Mar 2016, 20:11

Send this email for your request

email: fortunato.rosolia@comune.angri.sa.it

Comune di Angri
Servizi Demografici e Stato civile
Piazza Crocifisso 23
84012 Angri (SA)
Italy

attn: Rosolia Fortunato

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di Carmine Ferraioli

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Angri. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome : Carmine Ferraioli
Nome e cognome del padre: Carmine Ferraioli
Nome e cognome della madre: Luigia Ruggiero.
Luogo di nascita: Angri
Data di nascita: 1903
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Marty

Marty

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 02 Mar 2016, 21:29

Thanks Marty. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to construct a letter to Angri. I had requested birth records for Luigia from Angri a couple of years ago. I was very sure of the information that I sent, but got no response to my letter. I noticed that your letter is directed to a specific person - terrific! It's more personal, and hopefully more likely to get a response. I'll say a prayer when I send it off!

I still have to request draft records from the Archive. Is it frowned upon to make two requests in the same letter? If it is OK, I could also request birth records at the same time - just to increase my chances of getting them - belt and suspenders kind of thing.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 02 Mar 2016, 21:36

The ID picture is necessary, always, because each archive in Italy want know if who make the request is really who say to be, and in this case he can provide the his ID picture. A request by email is the same who made himself in person, and anyone know that going in person is necessary to provide the own ID card, to fill the form with own data and explaining why to search a document and what use the customer want make and to assure which the document's copy cannot be edit in any book without archive permission...

Who said a thing different of that, it is in error...
to make a no precise request and however to receive a reply is just by a very kind Archive's courtesy ... the archivist understands that the request is made by a inexperienced person.. the tolerance is not a legitimation..

in your case dear February please re-send the request..
better with email receipt of delivery and read email.. I am pretty sure that you will receive the reply, surely...
My best wishes,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 02 Mar 2016, 21:41

Thank you, Sabino. I'm pretty sure that Carmine was born in either Sant'Egidio or Angri. His home was in Sant' Egidio until he came to the US, so he should be listed in the ASSA roles for 1902. I've tried looking online, but they only go to 1895.

Would putting the possibility of birth in two towns in one e-mail be a problem? Would two separate e-mails be better? Every bureaucracy has it's own rules, and I'd like to follow them to increase my chances of getting a reply.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 02 Mar 2016, 21:53

February I found a Carmine Ferraioli trip, born on 1902, father Carmine resident in Pontecagnano town (Salerno province)
pag 1 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1923888
pag 2 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1923888
it could be your ancestor?
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

February
Rookie
Rookie

Postby February » 02 Mar 2016, 23:56

Thank you suanj. I hadn't included an ID with any request for records - either to communes or to the Archive. Maybe that's part of the problems that I've been having with no answers.

A special thanks for suggesting an e-mail receipt! I always feel that e-mails are insubstantial - like a breath of air. It would be nice to know that it was delivered at least!

I looked at the links you provided and everything seems to be correct. Carmine did come to the US and settle in Philadelphia. But that reference to Pontecagnano is puzzling. I looked at map, and it is still in Salerno, but not very close to Sant'Egidio - about 40 km away. I don't know what to make of it.

Thank you for all your help!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”