Ellis Island Record is the wrong person

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Ellis Island Record is the wrong person

Postby rp76226 » 22 Mar 2016, 01:03

I went onto the Ellis Island website and searched for Gaetana ilardi. One matching name came up for line 9 on Frame 0201 and for the correct Italian town. That turned out to be the second page that has no names. I searched frame 0202 which had names, but not hers. The next frame on the other side was for 0681 and didn't apply either. on the index pages below, scrolling to page 2 of 5, her name comes up but with no real information except her age. Can anyone find the manifest page with her name on it. Seemingly that should be page 0200 but that is not showing. here's the link:

http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Ellis Island Record is the wrong person

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 22 Mar 2016, 05:05

Could this be the person you are looking for? The Ellis record gives the name Maria Gaetana Ilardi. I could not find a Gaetana on Stevemorse or on Ancestry. Only a Maria Ilardi showed up with a different ship, different date, but same point of origin. Maria Ilardi is on the list of detained persons. I have placed Maria's original manifest page and the page of detained persons on my Facebook with public access. Could it be that she first attempted to enter the US in May 1910, but was detained and perhaps returned...then tried successfully a second time in September 1910?

Here is the transcript for the original manifest:

Name: Maria Ilardi
Arrival Date: 3 May 1910
Birth Date: abt 1894
Birth Location: Trapain
Birth Location Other: s'??
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Regina D Italia

Here is the transcript for the detained persons list:

Name: Maria Ilardi
Arrival Date: 3 May 1910
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Regina D Italia

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Researching Asti, Biella, Torino, Benevento. Surnames: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Gioa, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotti, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiurentino.

Clara "Claire"

rp76226
Master
Master

Postby rp76226 » 22 Mar 2016, 14:50

No, that person is too young. Gaetana Ilardi was born in 1861 in Cerda, Sicily. She had adult and juvenile children by 1910.

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 22 Mar 2016, 16:59

The displayed title of the Ellis record we're discussing listed the passenger's name as Maria Gaetana Ilardi. I believe that at the bottom of each immigrant record displayed there is a place/icon that you can use to report problems.

Have you seen these? They are on the Italian Ancestry. Though entries/photos are private, if you hover your cursor over them, you can read some very helpful notes about Gaetana (b. 11 December 1861), her possible marriage to Leonard Cerami in 1882, and likely parents Angelo Ilardi and Epifanea Coniglio of Cerda.

http://search.ancestry.it/cgi-bin/sse.d ... p&uidh=000

Hope this helps.
Researching Asti, Biella, Torino, Benevento. Surnames: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Gioa, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotti, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiurentino.

Clara "Claire"

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 22 Mar 2016, 18:01

FYI, looks like there may be several spouses of a Gaetana Ilardi, but because I don't have full database access, I can't go further.

Clara "Claire"

rp76226
Master
Master

Postby rp76226 » 22 Mar 2016, 18:57

Thanks everyone. I also posted on another genealogical site off of Facebook, and they found the records for me. It was on pages 666 and 667 which they found on microfiche. Ellis island, gave the wrong page number. Ever since they changed their website format last year, it has been a worse experience to utilize. They should go back to the old website and junk the new one. I also had all the tree information and more that OrangeBlossom44 posted.

OrangeBlossom44
Rookie
Rookie

Postby OrangeBlossom44 » 22 Mar 2016, 20:12

I agree with your assessment of the new site, re76226. I've had problems with the wrong data being posted and inability to access images. Would you be willing to share the name of the other genealogical site off of Facebook that you posted on? Thanks very much. I'm glad you found what you were looking for.

Clara "Claire"

rp76226
Master
Master

Postby rp76226 » 23 Mar 2016, 01:10

It's a narrowly focused, closed group called Italian Genealogical Records. I only got on it because I knew, through other correspondence, two of the people who are on it, one of them works on the staff, and they recommended me to the owner of the site.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”