Help finding mother

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Help finding mother

Postby Anizio » 23 Mar 2016, 20:13

Hi,

I need some help, or tips for how to find my ancestor's mother.

Francesco Calcagni, born in Rome circa 1827, died in Rome in 1874.
His parents are listed as Daniele and Giustina (no last name).

Now the thing is there is only 2 other people, whose father was Daniele, that I can find who died in Rome between 1871 and the 1920s. Antonio Calcagni, born in Rome circa 1833 and died in 1903 and Filomena Calcagni, born in Rome circa 1834 and died in 1871. Their parents are listed as Daniele Calcagni and Agostina Cicconi.

Now Agostina and Giustina are not the same....but they are similar. Both of them died in hospital, so neither one has any family members listed as witnesses.

At the very least it seems likely they were siblings since there weren't a lot of Calcagni in Rome, and most who were at the time were not born in Rome. Francesco and Antonio also had related professions since one was a gelder and one was a jointer. But whether they had the same mother is unclear....

now that there are Roman records online I would appreciate any help or advice other than writing to the churches because I tried that and none responded :(

Thanks
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

krash142
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help finding mother

Postby krash142 » 23 Mar 2016, 22:41

I would have to say that, considering the close professions, same husband, similar birth years of children, and the similar names, that Agostina and Giustina may be the same person. This is just something to think about again.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 24 Mar 2016, 15:47

The pronunciation of these two names is very similar. It could easily be an error especially on a death record where it would be considered secondary evidence. Writing to churches in Rome is a useless excercise as almost all parishes have sent their records before 1930 to the Vicariato for conservation in the archives. If you know the parish you could try writing to them.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 24 Mar 2016, 20:17

Italysearcher wrote: Writing to churches in Rome is a useless excercise as almost all parishes have sent their records before 1930 to the Vicariato for conservation in the archives. If you know the parish you could try writing to them.

Are you saying I could write to the Vatican to get parish records? Would it be the Vatican Library or something else?

I have written to them before. The Secret Archives actually had 30 pages of information on one of my ancestors (I find the Vatican way easier and more organized than normal Italian Archives).

Thanks!
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 26 Mar 2016, 14:57

Not the Vatican. The Vicariato di Rome.
They won't do much of a search but you MUST know the parish and have some idea of a date.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Anizio
Elite
Elite

Postby Anizio » 27 Mar 2016, 05:38

Italysearcher wrote:Not the Vatican. The Vicariato di Rome.
They won't do much of a search but you MUST know the parish and have some idea of a date.

Great! Thanks, I have churches and dates tanks to marriage allegati in other records. I will give it a try :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”