What is a Stato di Famiglia?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Kaplunski

What is a Stato di Famiglia?

Post by Kaplunski »

Hi all,

I'm looking for some information on exactly what a Stato di Famiglia signifies. I understand that it lists the head of a particular family and their direct relatives (i.e. wife and children) but does this document necessarily mean that all persons listed on the document are Italian citizens?

I have a 'Certifica' from the Comune di Udine which appears to be a Stato di Famiglia and lists all members of the family, including my grandmother as a child of the family. My grandmother was born in Tolmino, Italy but this city became part of Yugoslavia after the war and subsequently now part of Slovenia. Is her listing on a Stato di Famiglia sufficient proof that she was in fact an Italian citizen? .

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: What is a Stato di Famiglia?

Post by Tessa78 »

Have you tried writing for her Italian birth record?
Perhaps to Tolmin, Slovenia?

T.
Kaplunski

Post by Kaplunski »

Yes, I already have a copy of the birth certificate but it is issued by a Slovenian authority as Tolmino is now part of Slovenia and not Italy.

Does anyone know what the Stato di Famiglia actually represents? Do you have to be an Italian citizen to be listed on one? Surely someone has done research on this before ....
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I don't think that's enough. A "Stato di famiglia" just lists all people living with the head, no regards to their citizenship (like USA censuses)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.