Still looking for Information John

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
maggiehill

Still looking for Information John

Postby maggiehill » 16 Apr 2016, 17:33

The family story is that my ancestor John Lando escaped from Genoa as a young man because there was some sort of vendetta against the family. A member of his family was a crew on a ship that John escaped on to Scotland. The crew members were most probably a Giovanni Battista Lando and Angelo Marengo. John Lando was in Scotland aged 15 a British Subject on the 1851 Census.

I believe that John Lando left Genoa because of Italian War period named the Sack of Genoa. It happened between 5 April and 11 April 1849 when soldiers resorted to the most petty actions against civilians, raping women and killing fathers and brothers who opposed the massacre, firing at the windows to the people surrounding and running through the streets.

Are there any records of this massacre and is it possible to search local papers during this period?

Peter

mmogno
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Still looking for Information John

Postby mmogno » 16 Apr 2016, 23:15

maggiehill

Re: Still looking for Information John

Postby maggiehill » 18 Apr 2016, 11:52

mmogno

Thanks for all the links as I cannot speak Italian I am having to use google to Translate which takes time, the ugly page makes interesting reading.
Why was John escaping as a stowaway when there was a British Ship in the harbour I wonder what crime had he committed?
Giovanni Battista Lando was born in Moneglia in 1831 his mothers maiden name was Marengo. On his service record there is no information for the period 18546-1853 was he in hiding?
Angelo Marengo was born in Malta in 1810 and was a captain in the British Merchant Service.

Maggie Lando Hill

Return to “Italian Genealogy”