titles

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
frankcsr
Rookie
Rookie

titles

Postby frankcsr » 16 Apr 2016, 21:13

Postby frankcsr » 12 Apr 2016, 07:17

I am going to Sicily in a few months and I am meeting with a woman who is 81 and I believe a distant cousin of my mothers. I have met with her before and she is a wonderful person. This time I will be there with my son and his family. Should they refer to her as cousin, mrs, ? What is the most respectful way to address her? She speaks no English and I speak limited old Sicilian.
Thank you in advance
Frank C

----------------------------------------

Introduction to Italian Genealogy

Introduction to Italian Genealogy

In its most general sense, the term genealogy refers to the study of family history, while encompassing such related fields as ethnology, onomatology and --in rather few cases-- heraldry. It is important to bear in mind that genealogy forms part of the framework of general history. The best genealog...

http://www.italiangenealogypro.com

www.luckydarts.nl

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: titles

Postby suanj » 16 Apr 2016, 21:37

Hi,
if I understood well your question, in Southern Italy, a person even if a distant relative, but of old age, normally
we call it "zia" ( aunt), that does not mean properly "aunt" in the strict sense, but as in this case, it means "you are to me as an aunt" and normally enjoy being called so...
that for normal ppeople, instead if the old mrs is a lady of noble origin, you can call she just "signora" (Mrs) or or "donna " followed from her first name..
so for exemple if the lady first name is Rosa, you can call it "Donna Rosa"... the "donna" title is a respect's title for a woman of upper middle class, but no strictly relative....
it depend by her welcome, if she welcomed you as a family member, that's fine to call "Zia"= Aunt
instead if the welcome is a bit lukewarm, "Signora" or "Donna" is fine...

personally, you going as a distant cousin, I believe that if you can call she "zia" it is enough, and I am pretty sure that the mrs will be happy...
best regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

frankcsr
Rookie
Rookie

Postby frankcsr » 17 Apr 2016, 14:55

Suanj, thank you for the response. You explained it very well. Zia is correct because she welcomed my wife and I into her home for meals etc. as if she had known us for ever.
Thank you again, everybody on this site is very helpful and friendly.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 17 Apr 2016, 15:26

happy to help you!
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”