I just found out I'm not who I really am (Negrelli-DiCarlo)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
billnegrelli

I just found out I'm not who I really am (Negrelli-DiCarlo)

Postby billnegrelli » 28 Apr 2016, 15:32

looking into my geneology and talking to the elders in my family, i recently learned that grandfathers grandmother was married to a DiCarlo, separated (but didn't divorce because church would not allow it) and somehow remarried or just entered a relationship with a Negrelli (Nigrelli?), and her 3 or 4 children all took the name Negrelli. Technically, I should be named DiCarlo. My grandfather was born in Caronia, Sicilia in 1906 and came to America in 1916.

i would like to find information on this and the DiCarlo family. If anyone has a good idea where to start that would be much appreciated. I do have a profile and tree started on ancestry.com

thanks
Bill Negrelli

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: I just found out I'm not who I really am (Negrelli-DiCarlo)

Postby PippoM » 02 May 2016, 14:29

Hello, and welcome!
This is the birth record or of one of his brothers:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2120739

The side annotation states that the act must be corrected in the sense that "Di Carlo Pietro" must be replaced by "Nigrelli Pietro".
I'm going to look for other documents, but what I think is that Pietro's surname was changed between 1900 (when Matteo was born) and 1906 (when correction was ordered).
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”