Cusumano family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lisapeters65
Rookie
Rookie

Cusumano family

Postby Lisapeters65 » 30 Apr 2016, 22:03

I'm having trouble trying to put some things together.
My great grandmother Maria Antonia Salvia (1873) was married twice.
From records I found (with the help of Marty from this website:) Both of Maria's husband's mothers were Cusumano's.
I'd like to know if both of her husband's were cousins, because if so, I could add the other husband and his children to my tree.
Here's the info I have:
Husband # 1: Benedetto Occhipinti (about 1870). His mother was Girolana CUSUMANO and his father was Giuseppe Occhipinti.
Husband # 2: Vincenzo Rappa (1871-1909). His mother was Elizabeth CUSUMANO and his father was Domenico Rappa.
If Girolama and Elizabeth CUSUMANO were sisters or relatives in some way, I could add Benedetto Occhipinti's son Joseph, and Joseph's daughter Constance to my tree!

erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Cusumano family

Postby erudita74 » 03 May 2016, 14:38

You may have to go back several generations to prove that two individuals were cousins. I had to go back into the earlier 1700s, and late 1600s, on one of my husband's lines to prove a connection and was only able to do that because I had access to earlier church records from the town. For my great grandparents, both born in the 1870s, I had to go back three generations to prove they were cousins to each other. So do you have access to earlier records for your ancestral town?
Erudita

Lisapeters65
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lisapeters65 » 04 May 2016, 18:51

@erudita74 I haven't been able to find any older records on them yet...

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 05 May 2016, 15:03

Hopefully you'll locate some earlier records. I don't know how common the surname CUSUMANO is in your ancestral town. I just know that certain surnames, in some towns, are extremely common which means that everyone in the town with those surnames is not necessarily related. Just to give you an example-I have the surname Mangiaracina in my own ancestry from a particular Sicilian town. In that town, the surname is like the surname Smith in the U.S. Even tracing the ancestry back numerous generations did not indicate that certain families were connected to one another. So, I do hope you locate earlier records which make the connection for you. Otherwise, it's just guess work which may not be correct. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.
Erudita

Return to “Italian Genealogy”