zappala

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
20 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

zappala

Postby annalbanese » 18 Oct 2005, 20:34

Looking for information on Gaetano Zappala family history. Arrived here from Sicily and settled in Lawrence, MA.
annalbanese

Re: zappala

Postby mfjp » 18 Oct 2005, 21:41

Zappala... I know I have heard of that name before....

What is the year of birth ... spouse, children, siblings, married here... there...

Have you located a boat record, and if so, provide info...

Any Alfio's in your family?...

I'm sure there will be lots of help here...

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby annalbanese » 18 Oct 2005, 22:24

He was born between 1880-1890 and died in 1949. He was married to Enna (aka Anna) Rizzo in Lawrence, MA and had two children, Chirno (Charley) and Placido Zappala. (He was previously married to another woman ? for a short period of time and they bore no children.) He had a brother Alfio who also settled here in America. (These were supposedly the only two brothers who came here.) I know that my great uncle Alfio had a son named Charles (perhaps also Chirno originally) who married an Amelia ?. They had children, one of which was daughter Sandy who currently resides in NH. Gaetano came here in his early twenties, which would be sometime in the early 1900's. I know have cousins in the New England area, but was wondering if any of them had information regarding the Zappalas in Italy.
annalbanese

Postby mfjp » 18 Oct 2005, 22:47

Hi, I did find a boat record which also includes the brother Alfio's name...

Name: Gaetano Zappala

Arrival Date: 11 Mar 1907 Age: 23 years Estimated Birth Year: 1884 Gender: Male Ethnic Background: Italian (South) Port of Departure: Naples, Italy Ship Name: Republic Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts Friend's Name:
Brother Alfio Last Residence: ItalyMicrofilm Roll Number: 104

Will be creating a link for a viewable manifest shortly...

I know "John_Domenic" is watching with great interest :P !!

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby annalbanese » 18 Oct 2005, 22:49

Thank you. I appreciate all the help you can give me.
annalbanese

Postby john_dominic » 18 Oct 2005, 22:54

Hello, i'm probably related as you know from my other thread.

I'd say it's a fair bet that Zappalá's moving from Sicily to Lawrence, the exact same textile mill town in Massachusetts are related, in some way, through marriage, cousins, etc, etc. - although there currently is a ridiculous amount of Zappalá's in the Catania area today:

[align=center]Image

Which, is right around where my Zappalá's (likely) came from:

Image[/align]

Of course, this could be the wrong city. I'd hedge a bet, not, since people from same cities / regions tended to migrate to similar areas with family abroad, but I'm just shooting out an option.

As was said - my Maria Concetta Zappalá was probably born in Pedara or Trecastagni in 1887 or so, and went over with her sister (or off chance, could be her cousin) Rosa (b.1885 or so) and brother Matteo (b.1879 or so), departing 21 Dec 1904 from Napoli, arriving 02 Jan 1905 on the Ship Canopic in Boston.

[align=center]Image[/align]

She was told to be "the seventh sister of a seventh sister", which in the way my family talks means she simply was the youngest of seven girls in the family. The family in Sicily owned a hotel, and she seemed to not like the hard work she had to do there.

Referred to in her passenger manifest is the fact that they were meeting with a brother-in-law, Dominico Doga, so, another Zappalá had to have come before them.

Additionally, there seems to have been a Concetta Zappalá who was born in Pedara in 1887. The record below I got was wrong, and is not from my great-great grandmother:

[align=center]Image[/align]

She married an Alfio Laudani, who ALSO moved to Lawrence, MA. Her husband came first, and for what I recall, she arrived a few years after mine. Check my other thread for the exact details on when, since someone else found the records.

Rosa got married (to whom, I don't know) and (supposedly) lived the rest of her life in MA. The guys here pulled a record of Matteo dying in Hartford, MA, so I imagine he did too.

Do you have any information on their past history in Sicily at all?
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mfjp » 18 Oct 2005, 23:11

mfjp wrote:Hi, I did find a boat record which also includes the brother Alfio's name...

Arrival Date: 11 Mar 1907 Age: 23 years Estimated Birth Year: 1884 Gender: Male Ethnic Background: Italian (South) Port of Departure: Naples, Italy Ship Name: Republic Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts Friend's Name:

mfjp

Here is the link
http://img106.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... oat7mn.jpg

I can't really make out the name of the town he is from, it may be S. Antonio... can someone advise??

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby john_dominic » 18 Oct 2005, 23:14

mfjp wrote:
mfjp wrote:Hi, I did find a boat record which also includes the brother Alfio's name...

mfjp

Here is the link

I can't really make out the name of the town he is from, it may be S. Antonio... can someone advise??

mfjp

I cannot deciphre it.

There is an "i" in the first word, so i'd say it's not likely San Antonio, though...
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mfjp » 18 Oct 2005, 23:19

Probably "Aci Sant'Antonio"...
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/087/005/

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby annalbanese » 18 Oct 2005, 23:21

I don't think there is a direct relation here. According to the information my father has compiled (via speaking with relations in Italy), Gaetano was one of 8 children - his siblings were: Michelangelo, Giuseppe, Teresa, Alfio, Antonio, Salvatore, Gaetana. Again, it is our understanding that only Gaetano and Alfio came here to America. The others stayed in Italy. I do know that Gaetano's parents were: Cirino Zappala and Agata Di Mauro and that Cirino's parents were Michelangelo and Teresa. Agata's father was named Giuseppe. Gaetano was born in Tre Castagni, Sicily, so perhaps he and Concetta were cousins? I do know that as far as names go in Sicily, the first son is named after the paternal grandfather and second named after the maternal grandfather. Same holds true for girls.

If you find that there is a connection here between the two (Concetta and Gaetano), please let me know. I will be happy to share with you what I know about the family.

Ann
annalbanese

Postby john_dominic » 18 Oct 2005, 23:31

annalbanese wrote:I don't think there is a direct relation here. According to the information my father has compiled (via speaking with relations in Italy), Gaetano was one of 8 children - his siblings were: Michelangelo, Giuseppe, Teresa, Alfio, Antonio, Salvatore, Gaetana. Again, it is our understanding that only Gaetano and Alfio came here to America. The others stayed in Italy. I do know that Gaetano's parents were: Cirino Zappala and Agata Di Mauro and that Cirino's parents were Michelangelo and Teresa. Agata's father was named Giuseppe. Gaetano was born in Tre Castagni, Sicily, so perhaps he and Concetta were cousins? I do know that as far as names go in Sicily, the first son is named after the paternal grandfather and second named after the maternal grandfather. Same holds true for girls.

If you find that there is a connection here between the two (Concetta and Gaetano), please let me know. I will be happy to share with you what I know about the family.

Ann

Oh, look - when I say "related" - I meant more distant.

At best, I think it's possible Maria Concetta and Gateano (through, say Michelangelo and Teresa) were cousins since her family was supposed to be virtually all girls.

They could be even 2nd or 3rd cousins. That still makes them related, no?

I have sent for another lookup to be done for "Maria Concetta Zappalá" (who I was looking under "Concetta Zappalá" before) to be done in Trecastagni and Pedara around 1887, so we'll see who the parents are (hopefully) in a few weeks. Based on that, I can find her grandparents and we can see if there's a connection.

Contact me with your e-mail address so I can check with you when I get more information.
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby john_dominic » 18 Oct 2005, 23:45

Anna,

An interesting thing you should read about is the Lawrence Textile Strike of 1912.

It seems that the conditions in Lawrence, MA were completely terrible when both of our ancestors were there.

From the article:

"Founded in 1845, Lawrence was a flourishing and deeply-troubled textile city. By 1900 the Industrial Revolution had allowed owners to eliminate skilled workers and employ large numbers of unskilled immigrant workers, mostly women. The work was difficult, dangerous, and fast-paced. In addition, a number of children aged 14, and even younger in some cases, worked in the mills; half of the workers in the four Lawrence mills of the American Woolen Company, the leading employer in the industry and the town, were girls between fourteen and eighteen.

Conditions had grown even worse for workers in the decade before the strike, with the introduction of the two-loom system in the woolen mills leading to a speedup in the pace of work, which led in turn to layoffs and lower wages for workers. Those who did work earned on the average less than $9.00 a week for a full week's work.

The workers lived in crowded and dangerous apartment buildings, often with many families sharing each apartment. Many families survived on bread, molasses, and beans; as one worker testified before the March 1912 congressional investigation of the Lawrence strike, "When we eat meat it seems like a holiday, especially for the children". The mortality rate for children was fifty percent by age six; thirty-six out of every 100 men and women who worked in the mill died by the time they reached twenty-five.

The mills and the community were divided along ethnic lines: most of the skilled jobs were held by native-born workers of English, Irish and German descent, while French-Canadian, Italian, Slavic, Hungarian, Portuguese and Syrian immigrants made up most of the unskilled workforce. Several thousand skilled workers belonged, in theory at least, to the United Textile Workers, but only a few hundred paid dues. The IWW had also been organizing for five years among workers in Lawrence, but likewise had only a few hundred regular members."

This could explain the very small amount of children in both of our families and what happened to Gaetano's first wife.
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby annalbanese » 18 Oct 2005, 23:47

John Dominic, I attempted to provide you with my direct e-mail, but in case you don't get it, it is annalbanese@cfl.rr.com.

If you find that there is a connection here, I will be happy to share with you the family info (although rather limited) that I have. If there is a connection, you may be happy to know that I am in regular contact with one of "our" cousins in Italy. She is one of Michaelangelo's granddaughters.

Unfortunately the family info that she has is rather limited. In Italy it appears, they think it is silly that we "Americans" are so fascinated by our genealogy. They apparently do not hold it as being of much importance. Naturally, they know who their immediate aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. are, but rare is the one who can provide more. Her father knew very little other than his parents and grandparents names.

The information that I have, my father got from his travels years ago to Italy. He met a number of Zappala relatives and spoke with them. He gathered what information he could at the time and has since passed it on to me.

Keep in touch.

Ann
annalbanese

Postby annalbanese » 18 Oct 2005, 23:57

Interesting! I do know that Gaetano's first wife was much older than him (by about 15-20 years?) I even question whether or not there was a relation between them as her maiden name was the same as his mother's, Di Mauro? One thing that I have found about the Zappala family history is that apparently in those days alot of cousins, both first, second and third married.
annalbanese

Postby brujaojos » 19 Oct 2005, 03:07

mfjp wrote:

Here is the link

mfjp

Hi All,

By any chance could the town be "Aci Sant’Antonio, Catania, Sicily, Italy" or "Case Sant’Antonino, Messina, Sicily"?

Like the rest of you, I'm having trouble reading the manifest.

Now there is microfilm for the town of Aci Sant'Antonio that you can order from the Family Hsitory Center. Here is the link for the film.
Aci Sant'Antonio

Here is the website for Aci Sant'Antonio.

I still can't find anything on the Case Sant'Antonino.

I can ask, do you have the Naturalization papers of Gaetano? Do you have his Death Certificiate? What kind of documents do you have for Gaetano?

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Next

20 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2