How does the Ellis Island "Case System" work

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

How does the Ellis Island "Case System" work

Postby rp76226 » 10 May 2016, 18:56

Weeks, maybe months ago, I contacted Ellis Island about their pages being out of sequence and therefore missing on a search I had done. I was assigned a "case number" - 32412. Today, I received an email from them stating:

"105126020570------> Has been corrected, thank you for your support."

I don't remember who I was trying to look up and they don't give me the original message I sent to them in their reply. How do I look up the original message that I sent them?

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How does the Ellis Island "Case System" work

Postby kencwalker » 10 May 2016, 19:25

I can't help with your question (I never reported a Case to Ellis Island).

However, I have a tip for an alternate search method when an Ellis Island search doesn't work.
Are you familiar with the One-Step Webpages by Stephen P. Morse? (go to stevemorse.org)
IMHO, his search engine is much more useful, because:
1) You can search Ellis Island and Castle Garden (1855-1891 and 1892-1957 arrivals)
2) You can search arrivals from earlier years in NYC and other cities
3) You can search the Ellis Island Manifests (aka Missing Manifests) in one step

Also, I think it's easier to search with other criteria (say part of a city name), or with limited passenger name. For example, I found my g-g.father using C* C* for first and last names. His last name was so badly mangled in the records, Ellis Island searches weren't productive.

Also, the tool will also send an email with a summary of all search results (if you provide an email address). It's very helpful when you're trying to fine YOUR JACOB PETERSON from the 90 that immigrated from Sweden in 1892-93, and were born in 1865-70. :-)

He also has tools to help with the US Census searches. His search tools were very helpful tracking down my immigrant ancestors (who all disappeared for at least one census cycle).

-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

rp76226
Master
Master

Postby rp76226 » 10 May 2016, 19:52

The Stephen Morse site used to be my favorite search tool for Ellis Island records. When Ellis Island changed its website format, it stopped working for a long time. Now, it seems to be working again bb bringing you to the new Ellis Island website.

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kencwalker » 11 May 2016, 16:47

Back to your original question (about Ellis Island Case).
I stumbled around the site a bit, and have a suggestion.
First, login using your Ellis Island account (so they know who you are).
Then click on "My Profile" (next to Logout on the upper right)
It brings up a big MY PROFILE menu. Click on "Cases" on the far right of the brown box (under your contact id).
Under "Cases" mine says "No record found" (b/c I haven't created any cases).

It looks like they try to post cases associated to your username. Maybe yours will be listed, or you can enter the case number from the email.

You can also get to this from the "Contact Us" page. This is the URL:
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/contact-us
Click on the "Add a Case" button below the map.

Good luck!
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”