zappala

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
20 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: zappala

Postby john_dominic » 19 Oct 2005, 03:52

brujaojos wrote:
mfjp wrote:
mfjp wrote:Hi, I did find a boat record which also includes the brother Alfio's name...

Name: Gaetano Zappala

Arrival Date: 11 Mar 1907 Age: 23 years Estimated Birth Year: 1884 Gender: Male Ethnic Background: Italian (South) Port of Departure: Naples, Italy Ship Name: Republic Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts Friend's Name:
Brother Alfio Last Residence: ItalyMicrofilm Roll Number: 104

Will be creating a link for a viewable manifest shortly...

Here is the link
http://img106.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... oat7mn.jpg

I can't really make out the name of the town he is from, it may be S. Antonio... can someone advise??

mfjp

Hi All,

By any chance could the town be "Aci Sant’Antonio, Catania, Sicily, Italy" or "Case Sant’Antonino, Messina, Sicily"?

Like the rest of you, I'm having trouble reading the manifest.

Now there is microfilm for the town of Aci Sant'Antonio that you can order from the Family Hsitory Center. Here is the link for the film.
Aci Sant'Antonio

Here is the website for Aci Sant'Antonio.

I still can't find anything on the Case Sant'Antonino.

I can ask, do you have the Naturalization papers of Gaetano? Do you have his Death Certificiate? What kind of documents do you have for Gaetano?

I hope this helps,
Trish

No, i'm quite sure it is Aci Sant’Antonio, Catania, Sicily, Italy:

Notice how close it is to Pedara and Trecastagni?

It's all in the same region.

P.S. Anna, i've taken note of your e-mail address and will contact you when I get the information i've requested. If we are truly related, I would love to meet cousins (since i've already done that on other sides of my family). But, until then, I want to be absolutely sure about things.

Speaking of cousins marrying - if you click on this green document:

It will zoom in, showing Concetta Zappalá (not mine, likely the wife of Alfio Laudani) having both her mother and father with the last names of Zappalá. 8O

Funny stuff, eh?

Take care,

J
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Essgee » 19 Oct 2005, 07:11

John......are you familiar with the fact that the names in Italy are regionalized?

If you asked someone in America where John Smith came from, he couldn't tell you......could be from Maine or Florida or Kentucky 150 years ago...the name was spread all over.

150 years ago in Italy, most names were only found in a small area. If you knew the last name, you knew where the person hailed from...there were patterns in the spelling, or they were named after places. One of the names from the town of my ancestors was diLallo. and everywhere in the region is a name similar to that: diLollo, di Liello, Lallo, etc. All similar, all from the same region, but slight variations. Yet, easily identified as being from that region.

Go back 400 years, and each small town only had a few surnames. Not a lot of people. They mingled with the towns nearby...but they did not travel great distances. So the names were repeated from generation to generation. And because so many children were born, so many sons, the lines of the name did not die out and what was one family name in 1650 had now branched out into 8 or nine familie lines some 12 generations later...and no real relationship between one line and other except back those many generations. And that family line married into another surname line many times. Many brothers married sisters. So close cousins marrying would be likely to occur between different surnames then those with the same surname.

So it is not hard to see that Zappala was the common surname for both. They probably were distant cousins...rare for them to be 1st cousins because special dispensation was required from the Pope for 1st cousins to marry. At the same time, remember there were not always an abundance of mates to choose from...but that doesn't begin to suggest "close" cousins, kissing cousins, or borderline incest. If I told you two people named Smith married, you would never consider them cousins because you know how dispersed that name is. Yet, because it is Italy, there is something more to the idea of two people with the same surname getting married.....

This is not personal to you....don't mean to suggest that. The other day in the FHL a woman was looking are records from Sicily. And she noted to me that everyone there was marrying people with the same surname...these were her husband's ancestors. Then she suggested that that fact explained a lot of things...it was totally offensive. I said that the preconcieved notion that somehow people in 1800 Sicily were some-how primative people that married their sisters and brothers is not to know the history of the region, to make assumptions that are not true.

When I go through my French Canadian lines, I have to keep it all straight because all the names repeat and they are not the same. Sometimes they added secondary names to the line...called "dit" names...like a clan name that distinquishes one line from another with the same surname. So there is Gagnon or Gagnon dit Belzile or Belzile.......all these from the same original surname but used to differentiate between the various lines.

In Italy, to know what family branch there was, many had nicknames. And if you knew what the nickname was 100 years ago, if you went to the town today and told them, they would probably know exactly what line of a name you came from.

Biggest thing.....don't take our notions of how things are and add them to other's history. When we do this, we make assumptions that are often incorrect and we miss valuable clues. For me, I would want to know how exaclty the Zappala names might be related...it would spur me on to more research.............

And I am sure, in your case, you will find it out...it is part of the puzzle you are attempting to solve!

One more thing....naming patterns. 1st son after grandfather, 1st daughter after grandmother both on father's side then next girl and boy named for mother's parents.

If Giuseppe, a male had 15 children, 10 living to adulthood and 6 were sons, within 20-30 years there could be six male children in that line born and named Giuseppe, all born within a few years of each other. And two more generations would mean even more Giuseppe's with the same last name, repeated not only in this direct line from the first Giuseppe, but in the same lines as Giusppe's younger brothers who named their 3rd or 4th son for their older brother. By the passing of 6 generations, you have an unusual amount of men in the same town with the same first name and last name, many whose father's names happened to be the same.......

So don't be surprised to find many people with the same name. An let's say Giuseppe Marino married Maria Russo and Giovanni Marino married Maria Giuseppa Russo, and Giuspeppe Russo married Maria Marino....you begin to see how the names criss cross.......not incest...more like a giant tangled spider web.........HELP>>>>>>>

Oh well...it is still fun to speculate when both parents have the same surname...something we don't expect to see......

Have a good evening.

So it takes a lot of care to keep things in line........
Essgee
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 19 Oct 2005, 07:13

Hey guys, I am curious...

The manifest I linked....

When you click onto the image... does it expand to a larger picture??

I know the town of origin is blurry... but I do see "????? Antonio" in there...

I do know that some Zappala's came from Aci S.Antonio as I already checked.

mfjp

Edit...
Essgee, looks like we posted at the same time...
Just read your post..
You've done some really good research... :P

One more edit...

Here's the towns name sharpened through Photoshop... it does say Aci S. Antonio

http://img426.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ala9zu.jpg

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby brujaojos » 19 Oct 2005, 07:28

mfjp wrote:Hey guys, I am curious...

The manifest I linked....

When you click onto the image... does it expand to a larger picture??

I know the town of origin is blurry... but I do see "????? Antonio" in there...

I do know that some Zappala's came from Aci S.Antonio as I already checked.

mfjp

Hi Maria,

Yes, the image enlarges if you click on it. Also, it looks like Aci Sant'Antonio to me.:) Also, as I previously posted, there is microfilm that can be ordered from the Family History Center for Aci Sant'Antonio.

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby Essgee » 19 Oct 2005, 09:20

I agree.........in fact, it states it in two places.....last residence and place of birth............
Essgee
Master
Master

Previous

20 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to Italian Genealogy