Nicknames

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sacesta
Elite
Elite
Location: North Carolina via Brooklyn and many places in between

Nicknames

Postby sacesta » 18 May 2016, 22:07

I spent some time today looking for the siblings of my paternal grandfather, Rocco, and found two in the church records of the Chiesa di San Silvestri Papa di Calatafimi.

Rocco is the eldest of 8 children. His brother Camillo was second born.

The baptismal records I found today were for younger brothers Antonio and Salvatore.

Camillo's WWII Draft Registration card indicates that he was born in Castellammare del Golfo. It seems odd to me that Camillo would be baptized in a different church than his older and two younger brothers, but I suppose this is possible. Comments?

I did not find records for Rocco's brother Pino or for his sister Nina. It occurred to me that Pino and Nina may be nicknames. Nina, possibly for Antonina? Any ideas on what given names Pino and Nina might stand for?

Steve
Steve Acesta

Researching Calatafimi, Trapani
Surnames Aceste, Papa, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sciortino, Sparacino, Zito, and Vona.

Researching Montevago, Agrigento (Girgenti)
Surnames Infranco, La Rocca, Mandina, Bilello, Cacioppo, and Cardino.

gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Nicknames

Postby gemellua » 18 May 2016, 23:15

In my family Pino is the nickname for Giuseppe (Joseph) and Nina is the nickname for Antonina

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 19 May 2016, 01:31

I agree with gemellua.

I've seen other abbreviations in some of my own church records, such as the following: Nardo for Leonardo, Cola for Nicola, Nora for Aleonora and Leonora, Masi for Tomasso, Ciano for Luciano. In some of the indices, which are alphabetized according to the first letter of first names, or the first letter of a nickname, at the end of the index for the particular letter, the priest might give you a cross reference. So if the nickname Nora appears under the letter N, the priest might have written at the end of the N index: Nora vedi (see) Aleonora o Leonora. Or he might have written at the end of the C index, in which the nickname Ciano appears : "vedi lettera L"-see letter L-as under L you will find the first name Luciano. When you check both the first name and the nickname in the two indices, you then see that the page numbers for the particular record match. Of course, not all priests did this cross reference, and not in all years, or for all types of records.

Erudita

sacesta
Elite
Elite
Location: North Carolina via Brooklyn and many places in between

Postby sacesta » 19 May 2016, 03:00

Thank you both. That's very helpful!
Steve
Steve Acesta

Researching Calatafimi, Trapani
Surnames Aceste, Papa, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sciortino, Sparacino, Zito, and Vona.

Researching Montevago, Agrigento (Girgenti)
Surnames Infranco, La Rocca, Mandina, Bilello, Cacioppo, and Cardino.

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 19 May 2016, 05:34

You're very welcome, Steve.
Erudita

Return to “Italian Genealogy”