Two Marriage Records and Illegitimacy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cdemarco

Two Marriage Records and Illegitimacy

Postby cdemarco » 30 May 2016, 01:41

Hi, I'm rather new to the boards (I've mostly lurked) but I have run across a situation that has completely baffled me and I was hoping someone might have a suggestion about what happened.

I have been researching the Pepe side of my family, from Sasso di Castalda in Potenza. Familysearch has wonderful records from that commune, thankfully. Anyway, my great-grandfather, Rocco Pepe, was born 1893 to Francesco Pepe and Maria Rosa Corlito. However, when I found the birth record it stated very explicitly that Rocco was illegitimate, from the 'natural union' of Francesco and the 'unwed' Maria Rosa. They married soon after Rocco's birth and legitimized him and his two older siblings (born 1889 and 1891). Both his siblings birth records mention their illegitimacy.

I was thinking that basically either my family had a 'scandal' or simply that they may have married in the church and not had a civil marriage until later. I'd read that that was something that occasionally happened when church and state didn't get along well. I was going to search the ecclesiastical records, but first wanted to exhaust the civil records as best I could.

So it was with great surprise that, in the civil records for 1888, I found a marriage record for Francesco Pepe and Maria Rosa Corlito. Their parents' names matched, their ages matched, everything. And while my Italian is just short of terrible, from what I could tell the only addition in the 1888 record was a note that the death record for Francesco's first wife was included (she had died less than a year before the 1888 marriage record)

Which means I'm left with two marriage records, one of which was apparently either forgotten, lost, or something between 1888 and 1889, when their first child was born. Has anyone run into anything similar, or have an idea about what might have happened?

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Two Marriage Records and Illegitimacy

Postby Tessa78 » 30 May 2016, 01:58

Welcome to the forum, cdemarco! :-)

Can you post the link to the records on familysearch so that we might take a look?
Maybe there is something in the records that will help us clarify this for you.

T.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 01 Jun 2016, 16:03

I did find the 1888 marriage publication record showing they were going to marry and they posted their banns perhaps because she was 18 at the time some one protested the marriage banns and the 1893 marriage record it says Francesco Pepe and Maria Rosa Corlito recognized their three children they may have married in the church and not had a civil marriage until later. You would have to check the church records to validate your findings

Marriage Banns [pubblicazioni, notificazioni, memorandum]. You may find records that show a couple’s intent to marry in addition to or instead of actual marriage records. The following are various records that may have been created to show a couple’s intent to marry.

Proclamation, allegations, or banns [notificazioni, pubblicazioni, memorandum].These notifications were made a few weeks before a couple planned to marry. The couple may have been required to announce their intended marriage to give other community members the opportunity to raise any objections to the marriage. If one member of the bridal party lived elsewhere, banns were posted in that community also. If you know that a marriage took place but cannot find it in the marriage records of the community, search the marriage banns. It may be posted there and lead you to the community where the marriage actually took place.

PG LINK MARRIAGE PUBLICATION RECORD
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043547

PG LINK MARRIAGE RECORD

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

cdemarco

Postby cdemarco » 01 Jun 2016, 21:45

Ok, so the Pubblicazioni is a written intent for marriage, and the Atti is the actual record that the marriage took place? That makes sense. Could the fact that Francesco's first wife had died less than a year before be a mitigating factor?

Will definitely be checking the church records!

Thank you so much for your help! I've really just been getting started on all this, and my Italian and understanding of Italian records is very, very basic. I really appreciate you clarifying all this for me.

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 01 Jun 2016, 23:47

Below is a link to the marriage publications made by this couple in 1893, as the publications they made in 1888 were no longer in effect when they married in 1893. According to the 1865 civil code, which was still in effect in 1893, the publications were only good for a period up to 180 days after the date of the final publication, and the marriage had to take place before that time limit ran out.

Now as to why the couple did not marry back in 1888, one can only conjecture. As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the civil code which states that a certain amount of time had to pass before a widowed individual could remarry. I actually have an ancestor whose first wife died in early April of 1879, and he remarried in early Dec of that same year. In his case though, there was a dispensation from Rome among the civil documents in his marriage processetti (or supporting marriage documents). At the time, I thought it was because of the short period of time between the events, but then I discovered that, in his case, it had to do with the fact that he was marrying the sister of his deceased first wife. In the eyes of the law, once he married the first wife, he established a kinship, or blood relationship, if you may, between himself and his sister-in-law, and this was the reason why the dispensation was required. It had nothing to do with the amt time between the death of the first wife and the remarriage to her sister. I believe you'll see reference to this info on p. 24 of the civil code-

civil code-see pages 21 and 24

https://archive.org/stream/codicecivile ... 6/mode/2up

Erudita

cdemarco

Postby cdemarco » 03 Jun 2016, 20:34

Huh, I did not know that about the time limit for marriage publications. Makes sense they would have that, though. Francesco's second wife wasn't closely related to the first, so I doubt that was the issue. I haven't found the ecclesiastic records online, but I could easily see my g-g-grandparents having a church wedding instead and not knowing they needed the civil marriage. I mean, there could be some torrid story of affairs and separated lovers and all that, but Occam's Razor suggests a simple bureaucratic misunderstanding amongst illiterate peasant farmers. :wink:

erudita74
Master
Master

Postby erudita74 » 03 Jun 2016, 22:37

Yes, there was a time limit for the publications, which most don't know about unless they refer to the Italian civil code. It's really just a guess as why your ancestors delayed in marrying. My husband had an ancestor who delayed for some 5 years as well. Her first set of marriage publications was in Aug of 1888, but she didn’t marry until Feb of 1893, and there was another set of publications preceding the actual marriage, as in your case. My only theory concerning her delay is that her oldest sister had married three years before their mother died leaving her to be the oldest female child in the family. Since she had 7 younger siblings, possibly she had to take on the responsibility of being mother to them, which may have caused her to delay her own marriage. When she did finally marry five years later, her marriage was to the same man with whom she had the original set of publications.
Erudita

Return to “Italian Genealogy”