Records not covered by the LDS (Registri Ecclesiastici)?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Records not covered by the LDS (Registri Ecclesiastici)?

Postby john_dominic » 20 Oct 2005, 21:52

Ok, one more simple question:

I've looked over LDS records of one of my family's home towns (Caccamo, PA 90012) and realized there is no registri ecclesiastici there.

However, the church there (Chiesa Madre Dedicata a San Giorgio) has been present since 1091.

Is it fair to say that records exist there and the LDS didn't get to it or weren't allowed access to it?

And, if so, would they actually go back to 1091?

Additionally, if that was the case, how would I go about getting access to them?

Thanks,

J
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Records not covered by the LDS (Registri Ecclesiastici)?

Postby Marco » 21 Oct 2005, 01:11

There are a lot of churches that are not covered by the LDS files. Personally I couldn't find a single church document for my searches in the LDS files. Searches in parishes can go back to approx. 1600 when the Trento Council stated that all (Roman Catholic) parishes should keep record of births/deaths/marriages. Before that date there are almost no really reliable records (notary acts and scattered evidence).
You have to write to the Parish and ... pray :wink:
It depends on the parish priest, if he has time, if there's someone who's taking care of the archive ....
good luck!
Marco
Chi fûr li maggior tui?
Marco
Rookie
Rookie

Postby john_dominic » 21 Oct 2005, 01:21

Marco wrote:There are a lot of churches that are not covered by the LDS files. Personally I couldn't find a single church document for my searches in the LDS files. Searches in parishes can go back to approx. 1600 when the Trento Council stated that all (Roman Catholic) parishes should keep record of births/deaths/marriages. Before that date there are almost no really reliable records (notary acts and scattered evidence).
You have to write to the Parish and ... pray :wink:
It depends on the parish priest, if he has time, if there's someone who's taking care of the archive ....
good luck!
Marco

So, i'm getting the impression that i'd have to write to the Comune, then request I can have access, then literally fly over there and read through it, myself?

I imagine if someone is there to read through it, they don't want to spend months paging through it to find every single evidence of my family there, right?
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby VaDeb » 21 Oct 2005, 01:35

John,

The comune records are civil records. The church records are under the protection or regulation of the priest. There are a shortage of priests, and often one priest will cover more than one church in smaller villages. Often they do not have the time to do genealogy searches. Some priests will allow a current church member residing in the comune to do the research for their family. Some priests will open their records to a researcher of their choosing. Often the response from the priest will depend upon his previous experiences with people wanting access to records. The priest does not have to give access to these records, even if you appear in person.

Yes there are researches you can hire who will go through the records and find all evidence of your family in those records. But, even paid researches have to get permission from the priest. When you hire a researcher, you are depending on them having a good relationship with the priest that holds the records.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby Marco » 21 Oct 2005, 01:43

I was writing my answer but VaDeb was quicker :)
Only to add that sometimes you find people that helps. I once wrote asking a single information and got the full ancestors line back to the xvi century. Just try your chance!
Marco
Chi fûr li maggior tui?
Marco
Rookie
Rookie

Postby john_dominic » 21 Oct 2005, 01:49

Ok, well - they do have the Rivelis back to 1584, so i'm going to start with that.

I'll get a local professional to check church records before that, but (obviously) that'll take longer to get done and absolutely nothing may come of it.

Does anyone know what sort of records they kept before the Council of Trent? Are they worth researching? Can I find anything from it?

Thanks for your help!

J
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Postby E.Migliori » 21 Oct 2005, 10:04

How can i access to LDS registri ecclesiastici?
Thanks for answer!
E.Migliori

Postby VaDeb » 21 Oct 2005, 18:52

Where available they are on microfilm. Here is a great post by Trish on how to use the LDS microfilm:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

To find a family history center near you:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy