Biaggio Crescenzo 1851-1934

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
michelecrescenzo
Rookie
Rookie

Biaggio Crescenzo 1851-1934

Postby michelecrescenzo » 14 Jun 2016, 02:34

I am looking for my great-great grandfather, Biaggio Crescenzo. He was born in Italy about 1851, and I cannot find anything more specific. I have a clue that it might be Sicily, but this is still so broad. He came to the US in the 1870s or 80s.

He married Filomena Ferullo, born in Italy but I can't find where, around 1875.

He lived in Hammonton, New Jersey from at least 1887. When he was older, he lived with his daughter Mary in Philadelphia, where he died in 1934. I know his mother's name was Carmela because she came to New Jersey and is listed on the 1900 census.

Here are my questions:

I have found three children they had, Mary in Philadelphia in 1882, William De Santo in Hammonton, NJ in about 1887, and my great-grandmother Carmela in Hammonton, NJ in 1889. It seems to me that there should be more children than this, but New Jersey and Pennsylvania birth and death records do not reveal any.

My second question is about his town of origin. Is there any way to narrow it down? I looked at the concentrations of our surname in Italian towns, and of course this doesn't narrow it down much. My only other clue is the 1915 New Jersey state census. He is listed here as widowed, living with William Crescenzo (his son), John Posaiceo, Benedicto Posaiceo, and Mike Posaiceo, all born in Italy. I don't know who these people are, but I thought that if I could find more about them I may find Biaggio's commune. I assume "Posaiceo" is a census-taker's spelling error, so I have tried spelling it every way imaginable on searches.

I've found nothing. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,

Michele
Researching surnames Capaccio and Cerruti in Campagna, Salerno; surnames Crescenzo and Ferullo (unknown locations); surnames Nocito and Torrano in Cosenza; surnames Crescenzo and Pinto in Casalicchio (Casal Velino), Salerno.

PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Biaggio Crescenzo 1851-1934

Postby PippoM » 14 Jun 2016, 09:20

This should be you GGM's birth record:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FZD3-XDD

but I see mother's surname is reported as Serpitello
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 14 Jun 2016, 17:14

I think the surname might be Serpitelli

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

michelecrescenzo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby michelecrescenzo » 15 Jun 2016, 00:45

Thank you, Pippo and Marty.

I have found Biaggio's wife listed as Ferullo in two records and as Serpitello in one. I don't know how to find her correct name. Maybe one of these names is *her* mother's maiden name? Marty, why do you say Serpitelli might be her name?
Researching surnames Capaccio and Cerruti in Campagna, Salerno; surnames Crescenzo and Ferullo (unknown locations); surnames Nocito and Torrano in Cosenza; surnames Crescenzo and Pinto in Casalicchio (Casal Velino), Salerno.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 15 Jun 2016, 15:48

Hi,
I believe that your ancestor coming from Salerno province, and most probably Casal Velino town (old name: Casalicchio)... On 1900 census, in Hammonton was also another people with same surname:

Dominic Crescensa

United States Census, 1900

Name Dominic Crescensa
Event Type Census
Event Year 1900
Event Place Hammonton town, Atlantic, New Jersey, United States
Gender Male
Age 30
Marital Status Married
Race White
Race (Original) W
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Head
Years Married 9
Birth Date Jan 1870
Birthplace Italy
Marriage Year (Estimated) 1891
Immigration Year 1880
Father's Birthplace Italy
Mother's Birthplace Italy
Household
Role
Birthplace
Dominic Crescensa Head M 30 Italy
Rosey Crescensa Wife F 25 Italy
John Crescensa Son M 8 New Jersey ( Birth first name: Gennaro)
Tony Crescensa Son M 7 New Jersey
Mary Crescensa Daughter F 4 New Jersey
Katie Crescensa Daughter F 3 New Jersey
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1325221

Well, this Domenico Crescenzo born on Jan 1870, immigrated in USA on 1880, and travelling with Biagio Pinto

Domenico Crescenzs
New York Passenger Lists
Name Domenico Crescenzs
Event Type Immigration
Event Date 1880
Event Place New York City, New York, United States
Gender Male
Age 11
Birth Year (Estimated) 1869
Birthplace Italy
Ship Name Italia

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1849782

I remembered the traveller name, because many years ago I made a search, between Philadelphia, PA and Hammonton, NJ and the person of my search was a relative of a Biagio Pinto in Hammonton, NJ and I remembered that this Biagio was of Casal Velino (Salerno province, IT)..
So I searched in military records in Salerno archive and I am pretty sure that I found this Domenico Crescenzo:

Crescienzo

Nome Domenico Sabato
Classe1870
Comune di nascita Casalicchio
Comune di leva Casal Velino
Unità archivistica ASSA, Liste di leva, 3 A 3
Full text
Crescienzo Domenico Sabato di Gennaro e Morinelli Maria nato il 15/01/1870 a Casalicchio di professione Bracciale

the surname spelling is Crescienzo on the record, but it is no very important, instead it is important, that the father first name (Gennaro) match following the italian naming tradition and also the his month of Birth and the year of Birth... ( 15 Jan 1870)

I am pretty sure that is the right person, and I believe that also your Biagio Crescenzo coming from same area or maybe same town..
I don't found his military record in Salerno archive (really I believe no complete 100%), but I believe that Casal Velino could be his birthplace... just my idea,
hoping helpful,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

michelecrescenzo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby michelecrescenzo » 27 Jun 2016, 23:19

Suanj, thank you. I have Crescenzos on two sides of my family. I do not know if they were cousins who married or not. My father's father's families are Crescenzo and Pinto from Casal Velino. My father's mother's families are Crescenzo and Ferullo or Serpitelli, location unknown.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”