Strange Discovery -- Two brothers with the same first name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JAvigliano712

Strange Discovery -- Two brothers with the same first name

Postby JAvigliano712 » 30 Jun 2016, 01:10

Hi,

I have just recently identified my grandfather's parents and therefore their parents as well by combing through Avigliano's records.

I was hoping to identify any of my great-grandfather Giuseppe Gerardi's siblings. Originally, I found his birth record in 1898 which I will post below. This year matches his age on his marriage license with my great-grandmother.

Then, I looked at the birth records for children born in 1896 to try to locate siblings:

http://interactive.ancestry.com/1886/31 ... 0321-00024

It seems his parents, Paolo and Rosa Gruosso had a son in 1896 and named HIM Giuseppe as well. Was this a common practice?

I tried to see if the first Giuseppe died before my g-grandfather's birth, but could not locate him in the 1896,97, or 98 indice morti.

This has me truly perplexed. Please advise!

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

archimista

Re: Strange Discovery -- Two brothers with the same first name

Postby archimista » 30 Jun 2016, 10:01

Luglio 1898, death of Giuseppe Gerardi, "mesi diciasette", son of Paolo and Rosa Gruosso.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/1886/31 ... 0585-00051

patrizia

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kencwalker » 30 Jun 2016, 15:52

JAvigliano712 wrote:I was hoping to identify any of my great-grandfather Giuseppe Gerardi's siblings. Originally, I found his birth record in 1898 which I will post below. This year matches his age on his marriage license with my great-grandmother.

Then, I looked at the birth records for children born in 1896 to try to locate siblings:

It seems his parents, Paolo and Rosa Gruosso had a son in 1896 and named HIM Giuseppe as well. Was this a common practice?!

Yes, it was common practice to name a child after a deceased sibling (as in your situation). Sometimes the name was used as the first name. Other times, it was the middle name, or 2 names combined.
For example, my gf has 2 siblings named Giovanni Maria (the 2nd born after the death of the 1st). He also has a sister named Virginia Maddalena, with names from deceased siblings: Maria Maddalena and Virginia. And there was also a second Maria following Maria Maddalena's death.

Yes, it can get very confusing.....take good notes, and don't assume anything. :)
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

sacesta
Elite
Elite
Location: North Carolina via Brooklyn and many places in between

Postby sacesta » 30 Jun 2016, 17:37

My grandfather had two living sisters who's name were not exact, but very close. One was named Antonina and the other Antonia. They referred to Antonina as Nina.

And I can verify what Ken said. It is very common to name succeeding children after deceased siblings, especially when the name honors one of the grandparents. My ggf had three brothers named Francesco, two of whom had died in infancy.
Steve Acesta

Researching Calatafimi, Trapani
Surnames Aceste, Papa, Cusenza, Gruppuso, Sciortino, Sparacino, Zito, and Vona.

Researching Montevago, Agrigento (Girgenti)
Surnames Infranco, La Rocca, Mandina, Bilello, Cacioppo, and Cardino.

JAvigliano712

Postby JAvigliano712 » 01 Jul 2016, 00:39

Thank you!

This website is SO helpful! :)

VotM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby VotM » 01 Jul 2016, 02:17

sacesta wrote:And I can verify what Ken said. It is very common to name succeeding children after deceased siblings, especially when the name honors one of the grandparents.

It's not so much naming a child after a deceased sibling as to perpetuate the grandparents' names. In my family, the only time I've seen a name reused has been when it was a grandparent's name.

At that, some were more purists about it than others. More often than not, the name was repeated exactly. But in some cases, secondary names were added to the new child's given name; e.g., Vincenzo the first time, Vincenzo Cosimo Damiano the second. And in one case within my family, after trying twice to perpetuate the name Vincenzo, my mother's paternal grandparents gave up and used a different name for their next son, Salvatore, born five months after the second Vincenzo had passed.
LDS Gioiosa Marea "road map" post at
http://italiangenealogy.com/forum/itali ... logy/33808

LDS Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea "road map" post at
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... 50#p239255

Return to “Italian Genealogy”