deciphering of birth record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

deciphering of birth record

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 08 Jul 2016, 15:49

4jkqr-5672677551@pers.craigslist.org
could anyone out there decipher this birth record? any help would be most appreciated. its for salvatore landino. born on may 20,1872 in barcellona pozzo di gotto messina. left side of page. the reason i need deciphering is that there may be information in this record that may help further my research. thats why i need it deciphered as thoroughly as possible. thanks[img]
4jkqr-5672677551@pers.craigslist.org
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VotM
Veteran
Veteran

Re: deciphering of birth record

Postby VotM » 08 Jul 2016, 15:54

Can you post a larger image or (better still) a link to the original image?
LDS Gioiosa Marea "road map" post at
http://italiangenealogy.com/forum/itali ... logy/33808

LDS Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea "road map" post at
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... 50#p239255

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 08 Jul 2016, 16:07

if you go to the italian genealogy forums and type in salvatore landino, and hit search,it will take you to a post for sept.12,2014 (re: marriage in messina province) with an image of this birth record that can be enlarged. it was posted by adelfio in response to an inquiry i posted.this is where i got the image that i just reposted. unfortunately i'm not very computer literate and have no idea how to link this post to the image i just mentioned. but once you get to that image it can be enlarged. thanks

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 08 Jul 2016, 16:10

John heres the link yours wont enlarge its just a standard birth act with 2 witnesses

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1887904

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 08 Jul 2016, 16:21

thanks marty. i know its just a standard birth act,but some of the wording regarding the father,francesco,is unclear. after its mentioned that he was of san giovanni (i'm assuming a parish or area in barcellona) theres further wording that i'm not able to decipher or understand. as francesco and the mother,maria bonarrigo,apparently never married (in the 1872 birth of salvatore she's stated as his wife, but in 1877 at birth of daughter rosalia, its stated she's non coniugale) this information could be a further clue as to their exact marital status-or lack of.i've never been able to find a marriage for this couple-ca.1868-1872.francesco was born in 1851 and maria in 1847 so its doubtful they married earlier.it appears salvatore was their first child. nothing in barcellona or any of the surrounding comunes in the area. nor in palermo,the birthplace of francesco.nor in s.sebastiano,the church where the "adoptive" daughter of this couple,maria costante,my paternal grandmother,was baptized in 1883.i wrote to them several times with no response. juyst thought it was possible that they may have married in a religious ceremony but not a civil one,which could explain their being considered unmarried in the eyes of the law. plus s.sebastiano is the mother church,and if they married there,or at any other church in that area,they would probably have that information.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 08 Jul 2016, 16:50

Says Francesco Landino resided in strada San Giovanni

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

VotM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby VotM » 08 Jul 2016, 17:01

mezzogiorno62 wrote:after its mentioned that he was of san giovanni (i'm assuming a parish or area in barcellona) theres further wording that i'm not able to decipher or understand.

If you mean, "il quale ci ha presentatato un bambino di sessi maschile secondoche abbiamo ocularmente riconosciuto ed ha dichiarato essergli nato il il di venti detto mese...", this translates to something like, "who presented us with a male child according to sight, recognized and declared to be his [Francesco's], born on the 20th of that month [May]..."

"strada" is simply "street"; hence, San Giovanni Street

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 08 Jul 2016, 17:02

but no mention of maria living with him. all thats know is they were both living in barcellona. i just think there may be information in that record that might explain more. a few lines down from that information,where it mentions maria bonarrigo as the mother,theres information that i can't make out that appears to be a possible further description of maria's status. hard to tell but would be of possible interest in unraveling the marital status of francesco and maria.

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 08 Jul 2016, 17:09

to votm:thanks,but thats not the part of the record i'm referring to. thats the easy part.the tough part is further down,where the mother is identified as maria bonarrigo,his "moglie" and the information on her following her mention of being a spinner(filatrice) age 23(actually 24 as i have her birth record) living in barcellona. theres a few lines following that which i can't make out. after that theres the name of the infant given and the standard information regarding the witnesses.

VotM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby VotM » 08 Jul 2016, 17:30

OK. "... Maria Bonarrigo di anni ventitre filatrice domiciliata nella casa di propria abitazione sita come sopra strada sudetta al qual figlio dichiara dare il nome di Salvadore." translates roughly to, "... Maria Bonarrigo of twenty-three years, spinner, domiciled in their house situated on the same road as given above, to which son they give the name Salvadore." The implication is that both parents share the same home.

One nice thing about these records following a standard form is that you can find the same text in the neighboring records and look for more legible versions of the same words.

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 08 Jul 2016, 19:55

thanks.that was the part i couldn't understand. thanks very much john

Return to “Italian Genealogy”