re: landino surname variations

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

re: landino surname variations

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 12 Jul 2016, 03:09

i have a death record for a francesco lidino,who died in new york in 1889. if its the correct record the actual surname was originally landino. could lidino be a corruption of landino? the information on the death record gives the age as 38,which would match his birth year of 1851. i think theyre one and the same. the place of birth only gives the standard italy with no locality. his marital status was uncertain so that entry is irrelevant. any insight would be most appreciated.

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Re: re: landino surname variations

Postby kencwalker » 12 Jul 2016, 03:21

So you want to know if the Francesco Lidino on this death record is the same as the Francesco Landino born in 1851? A definite maybe, or maybe not. :)
It's entirely possible his last name changed somewhere between his arrival and his death. In these cases you have to build a "body of evidence" to support your conclusion. Things to look for:
Any other details on the death record?
Grave marker
Obituary
Immigration (arrival info) at Castle Island
Census information
Spouse/children/other relatives

It's important (but not easy) to get this right. Otherwise you're off chasing the wrong Francesco. Good luck.
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 12 Jul 2016, 03:29

nothing else to go on. nothing on the death record like parents names or marriage info. no locality of birth other than italy. no obit as they didn't do obits then unless they were notables or longtime residents. never for a recently arrived italian immigrant. he was buried at calvary cemetery in new york as francisco lideno,another variation. no marker. i found a passenger record 2 weeks before he died for a francesco landino age 37( i find ages vary a bit as well as surname spellings) that might also match.if thats him he was only here for barely 2 weeks so no time to be listed in a census. i'm 50 percent cetain but looking for more supporting evidence. guess thats as close as i can come.

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kencwalker » 12 Jul 2016, 15:39

Wow, yeah, if he only lived in the US for 2 weeks. there won't be much info (anywhere).
If it's the same Francesco, you have a challenge.
Are you trying to track Francesco Lidino/Lideno back to Italy?
Or, do you want to follow Francesco Landino from Italy to the US?
In the second case, is there any family info in Italy that would be useful (siblings or cousins that immigrated)?
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.

mezzogiorno62
Elite
Elite

Postby mezzogiorno62 » 12 Jul 2016, 17:00

francesco landino aka lidino was b.palermo in 1851. at some point he was in barcellona pg messina where he met maria bonarrigo b.gualtieri sicamino messina in 1847. they had 3 natural children all born in barcellona pg between 1872 and 1880. my paternal grandmother was b.1883 in barcellona. in her birth record its noted she was ignoti genitori(unknown parents). maria bonarrigo was the wetnurse who registered the birth and requested to be my grandmothers caregiver. francesco appears to be maria's common law husband,as i could never find a marriage record for them,and at the birth of their second child it was noted that they were non coniugale(not married). so it appears they never married. in 1902 my grandmother and her"adoptive" mother arrived in boston to live with maria's son. she died 10 days later. but francesco didn't accompany them to boston,nor was he here to meet them. i knew francesco's father salvatore had immigrated to new york years earlier,and was followed by francesco's sister. knowing there was a new york connection,i checked new york deaths,as i could never find a death for him in palermo,barcellona pg,or anywhere else. this is all the info. i have for francesco. his birth and the fact he seems to have been a shadow figure in the life of his family. not much to go on. and as i said,a francesco landino arrived in new york in january 1889 age 37. later that same month a francesco lidino dies,age 38. the info. suggests they could be one and the same person. this is what i'm trying to tie together without much success. ages often varied within a year or two,and surnames were often misspelled. this makes the search very difficult,as much of it is educated guesswork without much to go on. no obituaries,census records,parents or wifes names. nothing.

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kencwalker » 12 Jul 2016, 19:22

mezzogiorno62,
You have gathered A LOT of information in spite of challenges! Good work.
A lack of evidence usually doesn't "prove" anything. However, you've investigated several alternatives, and eliminated possibilities (likely he didn't die in Italy, probably wasn't in Boston in 1902, and didn't travel with father/sister to NYC). Those conclusions strengthen the argument he arrived in 1889 and died 2 weeks later. Given Francesco's life as "a shadow figure", that may be the best you can do.
Again, nice work,
-Ken

Return to “Italian Genealogy”