D'Amore / information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 48
Joined: 03 Nov 2005, 00:00
Contact:

D'Amore / information

Postby FDooks » 04 Nov 2005, 02:45

Good day,

I have been trying to research my family for quite some time and now I'm in a pit.

I've been trying to search the D'Amore name a little more since that is my last name.

I have information from my great grandfather who was born in Palermo Sicily and immigrated to Niagara Falls, NY in 1917(est.). He lived from 1888-1925 and is burried in Buffalo NY. His name was Anthony F. D'Amore. His wife's name was Agnes Petrino who was also born in Palermo and came at a later time with their children in 1927 to Buffalo, NY. Their children were Frank A. D'Amore (my grandfather who lived from July 1916 - 1964), and Sylvia (only child alive), and another female which I cannot remember the name.

Anges' parents were named Pascal Petrino and Frances DiGiacomo. Each person, I was told, was born in Sicily.

I was just wondering if anybody out there had any further information regarding my family. I'd like to go back a few more years/generations but its been very difficult.

Thanks in advance.

edited: PS:

If anybody knows where I can do more research, please let me know. I have a subscription to ancestry.com and all the information I have now is from there...but it can't go back any farther.

User avatar
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1877
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby ricbru » 04 Nov 2005, 03:04

Hello FDooks,
to get your ancestors records write to:
UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE
PIAZZA GIULIO CESARE 52
90127 PALERMO
ITALY

I hope it helps, bye ricbru :lol:

User avatar
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 48
Joined: 03 Nov 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby FDooks » 04 Nov 2005, 03:12

great! thank you
do you happen to know if
1.) there is a fee
2.) they can read/respond in english

my italian language is terrible :(

i need some classes
Looking for information on the names:
D'Amore, DeLuca, Cordova, Russo, Petrino, DiGiacomo

Any help is greatly appreciated.

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12490
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby suanj » 04 Nov 2005, 03:12

Hi :
Agnes(Agnese) D'Amore age 39, widow living in 1930 in New York > Erie > Buffalo (Districts 251-352) > District 345; with this D'Amore children: Marie 17 old, Frances 15 old, Frank 13 old, Sylvia 5 old, and living in Daniel PETRINO's brother house, with Lucy wife Frances daughter, Daniel jr son, Lucia daughter...
regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

User avatar
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 48
Joined: 03 Nov 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby FDooks » 04 Nov 2005, 03:17

is there a way for me to find the parents/relatives of my listed family?
with that information about my g-gma's brother, i hopefully can find their parents info (petrinos)

thanks so far for all the help
Looking for information on the names:

D'Amore, DeLuca, Cordova, Russo, Petrino, DiGiacomo



Any help is greatly appreciated.

User avatar
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1877
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby ricbru » 04 Nov 2005, 03:19

FDooks wrote:great! thank you
do you happen to know if
1.) there is a fee
2.) they can read/respond in english

my italian language is terrible :(

i need some classes


I called the Ufficio di Stato Civile in Palermo to have some copies of marriage and birth act, and they asked me to put in the envelope, another envelope with stamp on it, for the answer, and € 0.13 euro cent for each copy.
They don't accept requests written in english. Only italian.

I hope it helps, bye ricbru :lol:

User avatar
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1877
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby ricbru » 04 Nov 2005, 03:28

FDooks wrote:is there a way for me to find the parents/relatives of my listed family?
with that information about my g-gma's brother, i hopefully can find their parents info (petrinos)

thanks so far for all the help


Go on this web site

www.paginebianche.it

on "Cognome" write the last name you are seeking

on "nome" write the name

on "dove" write the place (ex. Palermo)

I hope it helps, bye ricbru :lol:

User avatar
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 48
Joined: 03 Nov 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby FDooks » 04 Nov 2005, 03:45

ricbru wrote:
FDooks wrote:great! thank you
do you happen to know if
1.) there is a fee
2.) they can read/respond in english

my italian language is terrible :(

i need some classes


I called the Ufficio di Stato Civile in Palermo to have some copies of marriage and birth act, and they asked me to put in the envelope, another envelope with stamp on it, for the answer, and € 0.13 euro cent for each copy.
They don't accept requests written in english. Only italian.

I hope it helps, bye ricbru :lol:


Ok sounds great. So when I write the letter, I can have my grandfather translate it into Italian. Am I able to request multiple names and documents. I am aware to send a envelope with my name/address on it for the reply and possibly a euro money order for stamps and/or the documents. (correct me if im wrong)

This would be great if they could actually find some information for me. Thanks again.
Looking for information on the names:

D'Amore, DeLuca, Cordova, Russo, Petrino, DiGiacomo



Any help is greatly appreciated.

User avatar
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1877
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby ricbru » 04 Nov 2005, 04:02

FDooks wrote:
ricbru wrote:
FDooks wrote:great! thank you
do you happen to know if
1.) there is a fee
2.) they can read/respond in english

my italian language is terrible :(

i need some classes


I called the Ufficio di Stato Civile in Palermo to have some copies of marriage and birth act, and they asked me to put in the envelope, another envelope with stamp on it, for the answer, and € 0.13 euro cent for each copy.
They don't accept requests written in english. Only italian.

I hope it helps, bye ricbru :lol:


Ok sounds great. So when I write the letter, I can have my grandfather translate it into Italian. Am I able to request multiple names and documents. I am aware to send a envelope with my name/address on it for the reply and possibly a euro money order for stamps and/or the documents. (correct me if im wrong)

This would be great if they could actually find some information for me. Thanks again.

You'll find at Ufficio di Stato civile, the following records:
birth, pre.marriage, marriage and death record.
Since there are many people trying to build genealogy tree, or trying to make a family research, the municipality of Palermo wants you to send them the envelope with stamp (I suggest you to attach an international coupon) for the answer.
Also wants you to spend the cents for the copies.
Yes you can ask several records.
Don't be aware for the name on the envelope.
At least, ask your grandfather an help to write your questions to:

urp@urp.comune.palermo.it

I hope it helps, bye ricbru :lol:

User avatar
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 48
Joined: 03 Nov 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby FDooks » 04 Nov 2005, 04:08

few ?'s
1.) where can i get an internation coupon
2.) can i use a regular US stamp or does it need to be different
3.) how can i pay euro cents? can i just exhange possibly a few dollars here and just mail some euro bills?

sorry for the questions ... i have alot of research to do
Looking for information on the names:

D'Amore, DeLuca, Cordova, Russo, Petrino, DiGiacomo



Any help is greatly appreciated.

User avatar
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1061
Joined: 19 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby brujaojos » 04 Nov 2005, 04:21

FDooks wrote:I have information from my great grandfather who was born in Palermo Sicily and immigrated to Niagara Falls, NY in 1917(est.). He lived from 1888-1925 and is burried in Buffalo NY. His name was Anthony F. D'Amore. His wife's name was Agnes Petrino who was also born in Palermo and came at a later time with their children in 1927 to Buffalo, NY. Their children were Frank A. D'Amore (my grandfather who lived from July 1916 - 1964), and Sylvia (only child alive), and another female which I cannot remember the name.


Hi There,

Just to let you know, you can do the research yourself if you have access to a Family History Center. The Family History Center has microfilm for Palermo that you can order and rent for about $3.50 a roll.

Here is the link for the film numbers
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

The film is from 1820-1908. It will have the Birth, Marriage, and Death Acts of your ancestors.

Here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

A great book to get in order to help you with your research is "A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestros", by Lynn Nelson. The book is very easy to read and extremely helpful.

Also, doing your own research will be easier and faster than wrting letters to Italy and hope that they respond back to you.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum

User avatar
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1061
Joined: 19 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby brujaojos » 04 Nov 2005, 04:21

FDooks wrote:I have information from my great grandfather who was born in Palermo Sicily and immigrated to Niagara Falls, NY in 1917(est.). He lived from 1888-1925 and is burried in Buffalo NY. His name was Anthony F. D'Amore. His wife's name was Agnes Petrino who was also born in Palermo and came at a later time with their children in 1927 to Buffalo, NY. Their children were Frank A. D'Amore (my grandfather who lived from July 1916 - 1964), and Sylvia (only child alive), and another female which I cannot remember the name.


Hi There,

Just to let you know, you can do the research yourself if you have access to a Family History Center. The Family History Center has microfilm for Palermo that you can order and rent for about $3.50 a roll.

Here is the link for the film numbers
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

The film is from 1820-1908. It will have the Birth, Marriage, and Death Acts of your ancestors.

Here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

A great book to get in order to help you with your research is "A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestors", by Lynn Nelson. The book is very easy to read and extremely helpful.

Also, doing your own research will be easier and faster than wrting letters to Italy and hope that they respond back to you.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)

Trish

Professional & Certified Genealogist

Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services

Genealogy-Forum

User avatar
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5605
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby wldspirit » 04 Nov 2005, 08:16

The Lds provides a wonderful genealogical word list to use when requesting or translating Italian documents.............
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
Good Luck with your research.........
wldspirit

User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2210
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby mfjp » 04 Nov 2005, 12:49

Wait... !!! 8O

FDooks wrote:Good day,
...
His wife's name was Agnes Petrino who was also born in Palermo and came at a later time with their children in 1927 to Buffalo, NY. Their children were Frank A. D'Amore (my grandfather who lived from July 1916 - 1964), and Sylvia (only child alive), and another female which I cannot remember the name.


http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2486 ... 9308ro.jpg

Can someone take a better look at this census record??....

Since her brother Daniel was born in New York.....

Maybe Agnese was also born in the USA and not Italy?? According to this 1930 census record... she was born in New York...

mfjp :?:

User avatar
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1877
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: D'Amore / information

Postby ricbru » 04 Nov 2005, 13:32

FDooks wrote:few ?'s
1.) where can i get an internation coupon
2.) can i use a regular US stamp or does it need to be different
3.) how can i pay euro cents? can i just exhange possibly a few dollars here and just mail some euro bills?

sorry for the questions ... i have alot of research to do


I told you, before sending the request, or oder microfilm ( there are 1590 not all arrive untile 1908), resolve your problems contacting the Palermo municipality office of personal relations

urp@urp.comune.palermo.it

you can buy the international coupon to the post office, bye ricbru


Return to “Italian Genealogy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests