LUCA or LUCA NERI?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

LUCA or LUCA NERI?

Postby adellagreca » 02 Aug 2016, 04:38

My wife's Last Name is Luca, but several years ago, when we requested a birth certificate for one of her aunts born in Italy we discovered that the Last Name was Luca Neri not Luca. My recent research has found out the following: 1) The Ellis Island record indicates that Giuseppe Luca Neri (incorrectly recorded as Luca Veci) arrived here on June 5, 1905; 2) The Saponara Villafranca Tirrena birth records indicate that Giuseppe Luca Neri was born in 1875 da Pietro e Puglisi Francesca; 3) The marriage certificate indicates that in 1905 Giuseppe Luca Neri, fu Pietro, married Maria Mortelliti in the same town. HOWEVER, the 1901 death record of Pietro (Giuseppe's father) states Pietro LUCA, not Luca Neri. Additionally, the 189 :?: :?: :?: 9 marriage bans between Pietro e Francesca again say Pietro LUCA, not Luca Neri. Another interesting fact is that a current search in Italy of the Luca Neri last name bears no results while there are plenty of Luca and plenty of Neri. I am totally confused. Any thoughts?

adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Re: LUCA or LUCA NERI?

Postby adellagreca » 02 Aug 2016, 04:43

Sorry, the confused date is 1899!

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 02 Aug 2016, 20:06

Possibility is that there were numerous Giuseppe Luca's in the town and they adapted the name Luca Neri in their branch line of Luca to keep things straight
For research purpose for anyone else

Birth of Giuseppe Luca Neri
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1887904

Marriage of Giuseppe Luca Neri

Death record of Pietro Luca

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Postby adellagreca » 02 Aug 2016, 20:30

Thanks, Marty. I appreciate your insight, but I am really puzzled, because there would be no reason to record it at town hall. My personal experience is that to make a distinction between one person and another with the same name and last name in Italy one would tend to include the name of the father. So, my grandfather-in-law would have been referred to as Luca Giuseppe di Pietro, if Pietro was alive, or fu Pietro, if Pietro was dead. It is true however that in the town there are some Last Names that appear over and over, like Pino or Puglisi, but I have not seen any added connotations. Off hand, I cannot even attribute Neri to the mother's last name, because neither his mother or grandmother had a Neri last name.

Thanks again

Neil

Return to “Italian Genealogy”