Surnames souding like CASELLA, CASSELLI and SELVAGGI

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
annelaure

Surnames souding like CASELLA, CASSELLI and SELVAGGI

Postby annelaure » 14 Nov 2005, 14:24

Hello !
I'm writting from France and l'm looking for the following people :

- Filippo CASELLA, born about 1855 in Italy (I don't know where), tailor in the town of Marseille (France), from 1886 to 1888, and living there with 2 women who were :

- Caterina CASELLA (his spouse or sister ?), born about 1861, no job known and no children in 1888,

- and Filomena SELVAGGI, born 1869 in Eboli (Italy), apparently their servant, and working as a dressmaker too.
Filomena had 2 brothers older : Francesco Antonio and Giuseppe SELVAGGI, born in Italy too (Eboli and Muro Lucano) were both tailors and became French in 1900. Their father was Antonio SELVAGGI, tailor, born 1823 in Muro Lucano, married with Chiara SAVINO or LAVINA.
15th May 1888 Filomena had a baby named Claire SELVAGGI, father unknown. The baby was abandoned and grew in France.

12th July 1888 : Filippo, Caterina and Filomena leave France from Bordeaux, on board of the "Chateau-Margaux" under the same surname CASELLA. Filomena changed her surname, but I don't know the reason.

27th July 1888 : they all three arrived in New York, and I lose them over there.

1898, Francesco SELVAGGI, Filomena's brother, declared he had a married sister Filomena named Mrs CASSELLI, living in New york with 2 children.

Well, I'm now trying to find what happened to those people. Who have heart of them ?...

Thank you for all help !
Anne-Laure from France.

mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Surnames souding like CASELLA, CASSELLI and SELVAGGI

Postby mfjp » 14 Nov 2005, 19:45

Hi Anne,

1898, Francesco SELVAGGI, Filomena's brother, declared he had a married sister Filomena named Mrs CASSELLI, living in New york with 2 children.

What document has he (Francesco) declared this from?

Did you find a boat record?
If so... can you give more details about this boat should someone want to look it. I did a quick Ellis Island boat search and NO results for a Francesco in 1898.

Please provide name exactly as transcribed...

It would save time.

mfjp

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 14 Nov 2005, 20:06

Only thing that even looks close to a possible:

In the 1900 census of NY, NY, Manhattan, ED 119 page 19A

Cosella, Philomena, born Aug 1872, age 27, looks like listed as Widow, but not sure, married 8 years, had 3 children, 3 children living, born Italy, arrived 1888, Laudress? hard to read.
-----------, Donato, son, born May 1899, age 3 born NY, father born Italy, mother born Italy.
-----------, Rosa, daughter, born Jan 8, 1896, age 4, born NY, father born Italy, mother born Italy
-----------, Joseph, son, born Aug 1894, age 5, born NY, father born Italy, mother born Italy.

I couldn't find hide nor hair in the 1910 census, even by first names of all of the above. A couple of things. Because of the accuracy of the birth of Rosa...you might be able to get a birth record for her. It would list the father no doubt.

You can track them in the Manhatten city directories. Likely to be on microfilm at the LDS branches of their Family History Library. There are some in France, but go to www.familysearch.org to see if any near your location.

Hopefully, others here will come across additional info.

Good Luck.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 14 Nov 2005, 20:16

Hi anne laure:
this is Filippo:
Filippo Casella
Occupation Laborer
Age 33
Sex M
Literacy U
Arrived 24 Jul 1888
Origin Italy
Port Bordeaux
Last Residence Basilicata
Destination New York
Plan Unknown
Ship Chateau Margaux
Passage Unknown

------------------
Caterina Casella
Occupation Housewife
Age 29
Sex F
Literacy U
Arrived 24 Jul 1888
Origin Italy
Port Bordeaux
Destination New York
Plan Unknown
Ship Chateau Margaux
Passage Unknown

----------------------
Filomena Casella
Occupation Housewife
Age 20
Sex F
Literacy U
Arrived 24 Jul 1888
Origin Italy
Port Bordeaux
Destination New York
Plan Unknown
Ship Chateau Margaux
Passage Unknown
-------

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 14 Nov 2005, 20:35

birth of Rosy, daughter of Philomena... ( and becaise Philomena had 3 children I think that Filippo no most far from Manhattan :wink: ):

Rosy Casella [b]21 Oct 1898 [/b]
Certificate Number 40913
Births Reported in 1898. Borough of Manhattan

----------------

Donato Casella
06 Jan 1898 ...?
Certificate Number 4078
Births Reported in 1898. Borough of Manhattan.
------------------

I think that an data is incorrect... suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 14 Nov 2005, 20:40

mfjp wrote:Hi Anne,

What document has he (Francesco) declared this from?

Did you find a boat record?

If so... can you give more details about this boat should someone want to look it. I did a quick Ellis Island boat search and NO results for a Francesco in 1898.

Please provide name exactly as transcribed...

It would save time.

mfjp

--------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a viewable boat record of Filippo, Caterina and Filomena

Name: Filippo Casella
Arrival Date: 24 Jul 1888
Estimated Birth Year: 1855
Port of Departure: Bordeaux, France
Destination: New York
Place of Origin: France
Ship Name: Chateau Margaux
Port of Arrival: New York
Nativity: Rhode Island
Line: 19

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6897 ... 8883hw.jpg

mfjp

further edit... if you know the name of Francesco's wife, please mention.

annelaure

Postby annelaure » 15 Nov 2005, 03:47

mfjp wrote:
1898, Francesco SELVAGGI, (Filomena's brother), declared he had a married sister Filomena named Mrs CASSELLI, living in New york with 2 children.

What document has he (Francesco) declared this from? Did you find a boat record?

Dear mfjp,
I have discovered that declaration in French official documents when Francesco Antonio SELVAGGI, the brother of Philomena (or Filomena) asked for French naturalization... so I don't think it is useful to look for him on any boat for U.S.A....

annelaure

Postby annelaure » 15 Nov 2005, 03:55

Essgee wrote:In the 1900 census of NY, NY, Manhattan, ED 119 page 19A

Cosella, Philomena, born Aug 1872, age 27, looks like listed as Widow, but not sure, married 8 years, had 3 children, 3 children living, born Italy, arrived 1888, Laudress? hard to read.
-----------, Donato, son, born May 1899, age 3 born NY, father born Italy, mother born Italy.
-----------, Rosa, daughter, born Jan 8, 1896, age 4, born NY, father born Italy, mother born Italy
-----------, Joseph, son, born Aug 1894, age 5, born NY, father born Italy, mother born Italy.

Dear Essgee,
The name COSELLA maybe another possibility of research...
I'm going to see with the LDS center near my location for further information. Thank you.

mfjp
Master
Master

Postby mfjp » 15 Nov 2005, 03:58

Thank you your reply...
But you did not answer this question I posted earlier.... it would help if you did...

Do you know the name of Francesco's wife? please mention...

It's not a boat record I am looking for...

Did Francesco ever name any of children after his father?

mfjp

annelaure

Postby annelaure » 15 Nov 2005, 04:00

suanj wrote:birth of Rosy, daughter of Philomena... ( and becaise Philomena had 3 children I think that Filippo no most far from Manhattan :wink: ):

Rosy Casella [b]21 Oct 1898 [/b]
Certificate Number 40913
Births Reported in 1898. Borough of Manhattan

----------------

Donato Casella
06 Jan 1898 ...?
Certificate Number 4078
Births Reported in 1898. Borough of Manhattan.
------------------

I think that an data is incorrect... suanj

Dear Suanj,
These are the same first names Essgee gave me too... Maybe not concerning the dates of birth... I'll work on that information too. Thank you !

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 15 Nov 2005, 12:03

Hi annelaure the record that Essgee found( and in same time I also ... so deleted my message) is very well and most precise.. and this my opinion because after most search this is the record and of Filomena(Philomena) also are the birth month and the birth year, the children that i found the birthdate are the Philomena Cosella(really Casella) children... and for this cause, because Philomena pregnant for 3 times I think that perhaps also Filippo was in mahnattan, and if you can see the Essgee record, on Philomena line, about status, are "M?"= married?.. and this let we understand many things.... Filomena no married to Filippo, but had the children.. regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

annelaure

Postby annelaure » 15 Nov 2005, 16:06

mfjp wrote:Do you know the name of Francesco's wife? please mention...Did Francesco ever name any of children after his father?mfjp

Hello mfjp !

his complete name is Francesco Antonio SELVAGGI (François Antoine in French). His parents = Antonio SELVAGGI born 1823 in Muro Lucano, Italy and Chiara SAVINO (no most information about her).

and his wife is Catherine Josephine TRUCCHI, born in Toulon, France on 12th Nov 1863.
Parents of Catherine Josephine TRUCCHI = F. Vincent (Francesco Vincenze ?) TRUCCHI & F. BOERI (or BOERO) MAD.......? both born in Italy.

1898 : Francesco Antonio SELVAGGI & Catherine Josephine TRUCCHI had no children.

A few days ago I wrote to people named SELVAGGI in France and a widow answered me her husband was apparently the grandson of Joseph (or Giuseppe in italian) SELVAGGI. Giuseppe = Philomena and Francesco's oldest brother !
I'll try to meet that person during Christmas Holidays. I hope to get a full of details because her husband made his own genealogical tree before dying. But apparently, he didn't know that Filomena has been existing...

I hope my english is enough comprehensible... Thank for all you're doing for me !!! Maybe I'm not sure to understand everything you're writting, so thank you to use a simple language :oops: Bye !

annelaure

Postby annelaure » 15 Nov 2005, 16:24

To ESSGEE and SUANJ :

I have noticed your message, SUANJ !

Is it possible to know what happened with Filippo and Caterina/Catherine CASELLA ?... Did they have their own children ? Where did they live and when did they die...

Apparently, Filippo didn't live at the same address than ( :? ) Filomena ?...

Is it possible to know if it exists any marriage document between Filippo and Filomena ?...

Same question for their death...

At the same time, I'll call the LSD Center near my home to know if I can reach that kind of information.

Thank you for everything you've done for me !!!! Bye !

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 15 Nov 2005, 17:20

Hi Annelaure, I cannot know if the childre of Philomena(Filomena) was from Filippo, was only an suggestion this... In Manhattan are an Caterina Casella born in July 1865 living with husband Anthony ... born in Apr 1856 and with many children.. year of immigration is 1886/7 so cannot to be they... regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

annelaure

Postby annelaure » 15 Nov 2005, 17:26

:idea: other questions come to me...

As 1910 census give no more information,

- is there a mean to know if they have moved in another district or state ?...

- is it possible that their "disappearance" could coincide with the big fire of New York ?

- do you know if I can find passengers list from U.S.A. (port of New York, or others) to Italy, France, even Brazil ?... They also could return to Europe ?...

Bye !

Return to “Italian Genealogy”