Scotto di Covello, Sallusto and Grillo families from Torre Del Greco, Naples, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Jaclyndagostino

Scotto di Covello, Sallusto and Grillo families from Torre Del Greco, Naples, Italy

Postby Jaclyndagostino » 05 Sep 2016, 20:45

Hello! I am seeking information pertaining to my ancestry. I have done significant genealogical research and are hoping that some others share the same lineage as me so that I can learn of other family members missing from my tree as well check the facts that I have uncovered. If any of these names sound familiar to you, I would be so happy and grateful to hear from you! Thank you so much!

Antonio Scotto Di Covello (13 Jun 1887 - 18 September 1965) was my great grandfather. He was a longshoreman born in Procida, Campania, Italy and died in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, NY. He had a brother named Pasquale (Patsy) (18 June 1884 - ?). Patsy married Rose (born about 1905 - ?). I do not know Rose's maiden name. They resided in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, NY.

Antonio married my great grandmother Maria Cristina Grillo (born 2 May 1895 in Torre Del Greco - died 15 July 1988 in NY) on 22 November 1920. Together they had 6 children, Louisa (1921), Salvatore (1923), Amalia (1924), Joseph (1926), Celia (1928) and Ciro (1931).

I cannot find any genealogical information on the Scotto Di Covello family. It does not appear to be many of them currently, probably because the name was shortened to Scotto and the "Di Covello" part was dropped when they arrived in the USA.

Maria Cristina Grillo's (also noted as Mary and Marie on USA documents) father was Guiseppe Grillo ( born 21 February 1861 in Torre Del Greco and died in on 21 October 1937 in Brooklyn. He was cameo maker / coral engraver / painter. He painted the ceiling of St. Agnes Church in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn. He worked at F. Vitelli and Son both in Torre Del Greco and when he arrived in the USA. I believe his father was Gennaro Grillo, and I'm guessing that he was born before 1845. I know nothing about any siblings or his mother.

Maria Cristina Grillo's mother was Amalia Sallusto (born 25 January 1863 in the Torre Del Greco area and died in the USA on 30 October 1834 in Brooklyn. She had brother named Giustino who was born on 14 March 1874. She wed Giuseppe on 22 October 1883 in Naples. They had 10 children: Columba (1885), Gennaro (1888), John (1890), Rose (1892), Maria Cristina (1895), Lucia (1896), Assunta (1897), Ciro (1899), Angelina (1900, and Louis (1970).

I had thought that Amalia's parents were John Sallusto and Rosa Vitielli (spelling?) although I have seen conflicting research that indicates they may have been Gaetano Sallusto and Angiola Avena.

Any assistance that you can lend is truly appreciated!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Scotto di Covello, Sallusto and Grillo families from Torre Del Greco, Naples, Italy

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Sep 2016, 16:39

Not sure if you have this arrival manifest for Maria Cristina Grillo(age 10) in April 1906.
Traveling with her 4yo brother, Luigi. They are on lines 11 and 12.
They list last residence as Torre Greca - and destination as "parents Giuseppe and Amalia Grillo" in Brookyn,NY.

On line 8 above them, also from Torre Greca, is Vincenzo Pontilla(?) - who is going to "brother-in-law Giuseppe Grillo in Brooklyn" -

http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/s ... cGciOw==/1

The online records for Torre del Greco only cover 1900 - 1911
Here is the birth act of Luigi Grillo in 1902 (the child traveling with Maria Cristina in 1906)

Dated 15 March 1902 at the townn office in Torre del Greco
Appearing was Giuseppe Grillo, 41, manufacturer (industriante), residing in Torre del Greco, to declare that at 11:15 PM on the 12th of the current month at the house at Via Antonio Luisi #1, to Amalia Sallusto, housewife, his wife, residing with him was born a male child who was presented to the official and given the name LUIGI GIUSEPPE.
Witnesses to the recording of the birth: Gennaro Gallo, 78; and Enrico Fumo, 32.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947578

EDIT TO ADD***

On this WWII Registration Card - Antonio Scotto di Covello lists his DOB as 29 March 1887, and place of birth as Torre del Greco...
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1861144

I checked the births in Procida from 1886-1889 and did not find him. However, I did find the surname Scotto Covello in the records. In 1887 was born a Libera Scotto Covello, to Aniello Scotto Covello and Maria Pensa.

Here is the link to the 1887 birth index - letter "S"
You will see many double surnames beginning with Scotto...
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1475337

T.

Jaclyndagostino

Re: Scotto di Covello, Sallusto and Grillo families from Torre Del Greco, Naples, Italy

Postby Jaclyndagostino » 08 Sep 2016, 18:50

This has all been very helpful. I am going to review my records over the weekend when I have time and will compare them against the data you've provided!

I'll be in touch!

Jaclyndagostino

Postby Jaclyndagostino » 10 Sep 2016, 21:18

Ok! Here it goes.

I was aware that Maria Cristina Grillo immigrated with her brother Luigi. I have the manifest as well. I also got her sibling's names of off old census reports.

I have not come across Guiseppe Grillo's brother in law's name Vincenzo Pontilla(?) yet so that certainly opened up some avenues for research.

I did not have luigi's birth certificate, that was a great find!

As for Antonio scotto di covello's draft card... This is indeed his which has led me to realize that I have the wrong month/date of birth "on file" for him. I was holding on to a draft card for the wrong Antonio scotto that coincidentally had the same occupation. Antonio scotto di covello was a longshoreman. Thank you!

As for researching the scotto surname further I have begun to do so. I do believe that antonio's father was Salvatore scotto and his mother's name was Louise (I'm guessing Luisa). Hopefully I can find some more relatives!

beenealogy

Postby beenealogy » 13 Sep 2016, 04:12

Hello there, I don't really have much to offer in terms of answers, but I actually have a question. Does anyone know if the surname Grilli shares common roots with Grillo? Like somewhere down the line, are they related? Thank you!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”