Ostenzi from Lucca, Toscana, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jbutcher

Ostenzi from Lucca, Toscana, Italy

Postby jbutcher » 18 Sep 2016, 18:05

I was lucky to find a short biography of my gggrandfather while googling his name recently. Please see attachment. His name is Francesco "Frank" Ostenzi and his last name has been a challenge as there is little evidence of this name Ostenzi except with him and his children born in the US. I am curious how hard it is to get his military records from Italy because if his biography is true, there should be some records.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jbutcher

Re: Ostenzi from Lucca, Toscana, Italy

Postby jbutcher » 18 Sep 2016, 18:09

Translation by a friend:
Born in Lucca in fair Tuscany on March 20, 1848. He joined the Italian army and had the glory to be the first to pass into the historical Breccia di Porta Pia (the capture of Rome) on that fortunate day, Sept 20 1870. Ostenzi’s valor was recognized with a certificate of honor and with numerous medals that decorated his chest, medals that are his pride.

In 1879, he emigrated to America, and first was an assistant machinist at the Franklin Mine. He went to Lake Linden to open a hotel, which after 2 years burned completely, leaving Ostenzi with $75 and many debts. The veteran soldier was not frightened, and through the strength of honest work and good will, he soon proceeded from the damage of the fire and now owned several properties in Graver, Michigan and in Calumet, and in all of Michigan his name signified respect and esteem.

The patriotism, that first made him face death in Rome, never ceased in his years in America, and he was always enthusiastic of the time. The Italians are happy to have an authentic patriot, a true hero, of a good and generous heart, that enjoys no small influence even among the people of the country. We honor the soldier and the worker.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”