Sicilian vs Google translation

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Sicilian vs Google translation

Postby ray1955 » 19 Sep 2016, 13:15

I would like to see if someone who is actually in Sicily (Tessa????).....I am trying to communicate with a relative who is about 73 yrs old. For someone reason I don't think she understands what I would it is so simple.
She has grand kids etc....that could run up the street and do this:

I would like a paragraph asking her if she could get me a picture of the following:

Spoto House (via Vincenzo Bellini).....Laura Castrogiovanni sent me a note earlier last year stating there is a home in Vallelunga Protemeno which is commonly referred to as the Spoto House. I would like to get a picture of such a home if it exists.

Can someone that speaks Sicilian write this for me so I can send it to her? Google Translate does not do very good with Sicilian language. I am constantly having problems with trying to translate my cousins "slang" if you will.

Thanks Ray

Re: Sicilian vs Google translation

Postby PippoM » 20 Sep 2016, 09:18

I think you better write Italian, if you want them to understand you. Yes, dialect is currently spoken, but it is not currently written and read.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

Re: Sicilian vs Google translation

Postby jennabet » 20 Sep 2016, 09:51

Your cousins speak, read and write the modern Italian language. They speak their own Sicilian dialect only in their own town and only to people who are very familiar to them.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”